5.0 out of 5 stars Great Head!
Published on 16 Sept. 2007 by L. Otto

2.0 out of 5 stars You need very strong muscles to 'lock' this head in place
Unfortunately I'm not happy with this product and regret buying it.

The twist handles require enormous strength (and believe me I'm no puny guy) to lock them in and the number of times I've thought I've locked them only to find the camera move slightly.

From the above, women would find this item useless.

I'll therefore be re-selling mine...
Published on 1 Sept. 2010 by Steps Ahead Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Head!, 16 Sept. 2007
L. Otto (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
This head works perfectly with all cameras, from digital compacts to pro DSLRs! The knobs tighten well to hold weights of up to 5KG and above without losing any grip. I also appreciate the addition of spirit levels to aid in straightening your camera. The build quality is very good, it's pretty heavy and can take a real beating (I've dropped mine a few times) and still performs just as well, even the paint doesn't come off easily!

Overall, this is a very good tripod head and I'd recommend it to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly engineered, 31 Jan. 2011
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
I've had this 'Frotto head for years. I had a ball & socket one before because everyone said that's what was best; maybe for them - not me.

I have the 808RC4 head permanently attached to my modestly sized 443 carbon fibre tripod, (also Manfrotto) which is inherently light and the head adds about the same weight, but never seems top heavy.

I'm the sort of photographer who glosses over the long list of features but appreciates a tool that gets me the photos that match my imagination. Such as having the camera absolutely upside down - and level. Looking straight up, at the night sky or city lights, the fluid movements mean I can rotate slowly the head 360 degrees through a time exposure with my fingertip, yet it's still 'tight'. I can do anything with architectural shots, such as fine-tune positions vertically.

The levers have perfect feel and are easy to adjust. However, this head has its quirks and sometimes you need to remove the camera and turn the plate that fits into the tripod bush at right angles - then it seems 'wrong' to how you had it before but you then find you can do more with it. The quick release that locks isn't always that easy, especially if done in a rush.

I wouldn't use a hugely long lens, only because of my tripod limitations. My D700 (as heavy as most DSLRs get) with an 80-400VR is normally fine, using the lens collar, weighing in at 3kg. But, in a strong wind, the long length of the lens catches the wind and twists the tripod legs slightly, which is noticeable at 400mm. I also have to say this head isn't one for low angle shots, certainly not with my tripod.

Manfrotto products feel as if they'll last forever, can be serviced, oiled and adjusted and resale values are better than any other, should you upgrade and do a trade in. One other thing - the Italian designers haven't made the tripod bush (bit you screw into the camera base) that allows our £1 coins (you use a coin to twist, finger-tightening of the bevelled edge is NOT tight enough), the groove being too narrow. Carry a 10pence, being ideal, as a credit card will be no good whatsoever!

4.0 out of 5 stars Standard 3 way head, 8 July 2011
Mr. David J. Theobald "Dave Theo" (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
I cannot see any difference to the 808RC4 head or it has been rebranded.
Pros: Very sturdy and precise. It will take quite a weight. Following wildlife with this head is easy as long as you have the camera more or less balanced. Slack off the tilt and slew knobs slightly and it can be used like a video head.
Cons: It is quite a beast though, my tripod now only just fits in its bag with this head still fitted.
It is quite high at 17cm from tripod to camera plate.

5.0 out of 5 stars 808RC4 Head, 5 Jun. 2010
Mr. Rw Hayles - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
Very nice head well made used with manfrotto 055XPROB tripod legs.
It can hold my D300s and a 500mm lens with no problems.
I have also used it for macro with a macro sliding plate
With great results it`s rock solid.
It`s a excellent head with a very smooth movement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great head, 24 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
This head is exstremly well made, my Canon EOS600D fitted well on the removable plate and was well balanced, the pan and tilt set up controls feel very positive and the grips are excellent, the only critism was that it would not fit in my Manfrotto tripod storage bag with all the handles fitted but i overcome that issue by the removal of one of them..which easily unscrew..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Head, 28 Jan. 2011
Paul - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
I have owned this head for over 2 years now and it is one solid piece of engineering. It will be able to hold a heavy camera with ease, up to around 6 kg I think it says. I have used this for panoramas due to the angle markings and the ability to lock the unit on 2 planes and just rotate it horizontally. I've used it for portraits and I've even kept the handles slightly loose and shot smooth video with this head.

Not a fault with this head but just 3 way head in general is that it can take a lot of twisting and turning to get the right set up for a shot, unlike a ball head. I purchased a ball head for ease of use and use it as well as this head so I have the best of both worlds. In summary, this head is fantastic if it is a 3 way head you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto 808RC4 Head, 31 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
i bought a 494RC2 ball head to go with my 055X PRO. this was fine with a small lens. unfortunately when using either the Nikon 105mm macro lens or the Nikon 70-300mm lens there was a tendency for the lens to gradually "creep" down (no matter how much i tightened the controls). yesterday i took delivery of the 808RC4. nobody told me how BIG it is. yes ok in the blurb are the dimensions but they did not prepare me for what arrived!!! i used it more or less straight away (after attaching the levers) WOW, what a difference. during multiple exposure i was able to (between the multiple shots) re-focus without the merest hint of movement and the pic remained sharp, unlike when i tried to do that using the ball head!! don't know yet how i will carry it all when using it outside (i rely upon public transport and shanks's pony). it really is solidly built. i bought mine from CameraKing UK through Amazon and can see me having loads of fun and maybe a few (carrying) problems too. to me it was worth the wait whilst i saved to buy it. don't hesitate go for it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good reliable head 808RC4, 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
After 4 months of extensive analysis I finally bought this head over the 'easy to use' single-handed model after reading that it was difficult to be precise with that model + you can't really have reliable panning.

I am very happy with the performance.

Easy to assemble and easy to use - those who say it is very hard to put in place and that their hands pain because it's too tight, well that may be true in some cases, but maybe you need to oil the thread.
To me, this is a solid product and being a mechanical one, will need that little bit of extra strength.

Overall - great control vertically and horizontally.
Smooth panning for those pano photographs or for video shooting.
Can hold 7+ kgs - pretty goo for my Canon 7D+ a heavy lens.
It holds the camera firmly on the plate - no fear of slipping.

I use this head with the 055PROXB Manfrotto tripod.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and worth every penny, 11 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
I went through quite a lot of tripods and heads. Always tried to save some money and selected budget solutions. This time I've decided to get something proper.

Price is quite steep but the quality is nothing like I have expected. It is like operating the best quality sniper rifle. Everything is sturdy, clicks when in good position.

If you're macro, pano, portrait, long exposure photographer then it's for you. If you're sport photographer you should consider Ball Head as this one needs time to setup (three separate dials).

5.0 out of 5 stars solid well made and super adjustable, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head (Accessory)
I use this on a Manfrotto Carbon fibre tripod and it does what I need it to do while providing flexible adjustment and a sturdy base to take those longer exposuresn okl its not cheapbut it will last a lifetime and keep you camera steady

Manfrotto Standard 3-Way Head