5.0 out of 5 stars You need one in your camera bag !
I purchased this for my Canon Eos 450, and it's great. Easy to set up and use, and very portable. I went on to the website for the tripod to read some more details about it before purchasing it.

The manufacturer's website shows the different variations that this comes in. I would definitely recommend the SLR Zoom version if you have a SLR. As I am new to...
Published on 26 Sep 2008 by AmazonShopper

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but dosnt hold the full 3kg load
I like this product but do not buy if you have a setup nearing the maximum of 3kg (or really over 2kg). 5d/40d and a prime is fine just about...5d and any heavyish zoom is not (70-200mm f2.8 or f4, 24-70mm f2.8). Good idea but needs some improvement for heavier cameras.
Published on 26 Sep 2009 by JonnyB

‹ Previous | 1 2 335 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Joby - Just the job!, 2 Jan 2010
Bought specifically to take on holiday... Lightweight and adaptable. Wanted to write this review to say when I opened the pod and ballhead (bought as package) everything moved except the ball and socket part of the ballhead! I searched on the web for others that may have had this problem, and no luck so wrote an email to Joby... they replied, the same day, with a very useful tip... and I quote... "whack it on something hard, don't worry if you break it we will replace it." So I did, and it did the trick I now have a very moveable joint at the top which tightens solid by using the screw. Only one downside I've found with my gorillapod, is its height... this can sometimes be a bit limiting, but it means you've got to be more inventive with your shots!

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 19 Aug 2012
D. Kielty (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joby GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Tripod for SLR Cameras (Electronics)
Save time and buy the Focus version. I had one of these and the plastic joints started to crack within a month of travel. I am using a nikon d90 and 18-200 lens and it could not support it properly (this setup is well within the specified weight range). The cracks caused the arms to detach frequently. Contacted Joby and got them to send me the focus. I payed the difference. It had aluminium joints and so far I have had no issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but it has its flaws, 3 Oct 2008
I was bought one of these as a present and it is great at gripping on to various objects and can function as a mini tripod reasonably well. However, the ball joints near the plate is not robust enough to take a heavy SLR body. It probably works fine with a lighter entry level camera with a light digital zoom, but if you have any sort of serious kit then it is incapable of remaining stable. I also have a quibble with the locking pin and camera plate which requires a 10p coin to attach and detach from the camera. It is a simple engineering fix to add some sort of recessed tag and I can't understand why it hasn't been done yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joby Gorillapod - SLR Zoom: Great piece of everyday equipment for your SLR, 12 April 2007
KM (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have a DSLR, and given that I like to change my lenses, I thought this might be the best option to buy. This is the largest of the three gorillapods available - the first is for compact cameras, the second for SLRs, and this will hold SLRs with large or heavy lenses.

The gorillapod is a good, sturdy piece of equipment. If in the instance your gorillapod breaks, you should contact joby directly, who will replace it.

The thing which should be pointed out, is that you will probably want to buy a seperate tripod head for this camera. A tripod head will allow you to place your gorillapod where you want, and then swing the camera upwards, downwards, or from side to side. The gorillapod comes with an adaptor screw, which allows for a different size screw diameter for a tripod head to be attached.

The beauty of the gorillapod is that you can either use it as a table top tripod (perfect for little home shots of macro pieces) or outdoors and attach it to pretty much anything!

Overall, a neat little gadget which will fit perfectly into your bag for day trips, without needing to cart a large bulky tripod round with you all day long.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs ball head, 26 Jan 2010
J. Foster (Birmingham/London UK) - See all my reviews
This product is fantastic. I would not hesitate in giving it 5 stars but for one thing - without the ball head it really isn't that easy to use.
The ball head costs almost as much as the tripod itself, and is shown in 90% of the product shots - including on the packaging itself!
Other than that fantastic.

Points to note:
Holds Nikon D3000 & 55-200mm lens.
Slightly harder to manipulate than the standard Gorillapod.

2.0 out of 5 stars No good for full frame DSLR plus 2.8 70-200mm lens, 17 July 2009
S. Laurens (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Have a setup which looks similar to the one shown in the description image (5D Mk II, battery grip, Canon 2.8L 70-200mm IS lens) and the legs tend to buckle easily. With smaller lenses (I tried a 16-35 2.8L and 24-70 2.8L), it is more sturdy, however the complexity of getting the image aligned to the horizon makes this painfully difficult without a proper tripod head - adding this then takes the setup over some sort of ideal weight limit, which causes the legs to buckle easily again.

My one has been thrown in the 'forget this' cupboard. Perhaps I will find a use in future, but not for a DSLR with large lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll use it a lot more than you'd ever expect, 21 May 2007
This piece of gear is easy to take wherever you go, and allows you to secure your camera to almost anything for fantastic shots. I've got one for my compact, one for my SLR, and have been giving them to all the photo enthusiasts I know for gifts since I discovered them. Like most great things, they look simple but surprise you with how useful they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little tripod., 14 May 2010
S. D. Smith (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're looking at getting a GorillaPod for any DSLR, make sure its this model over the normal SLR (800g holding) version as you must also factor in lens weight. I just tested my newly delivered GorillaPod with my Nikon D90 and a long 300mm lens, and its just right. I dont agree at all with some of the less positive reviews on here.
I do, however, wish that the SLR Focus full-on model wasn't so expensive in relation, or that the ball joint head wasn't as expensive as the GorillaPod itself.
I took some long exposure night time shots at full zoom with the GorillaPod SLR Zoom and they're rock steady, just make sure its well set by adjusting for the shot, then push down a little to ensure all feet are fully grounded; make sure there's no wobble. You MUST also use a remote trigger so you don't touch the camera.
You do get a short wobble just as you let go of the camera after composition adjustment (but mirror slapping didn't seem to affect the shot) so put the camera on remote trigger mode, wait for just a second after letting go for the wobbling to stop (it does a good job of absorbing wobble quickly), then take the shot.
If you do somehow experience problems with wobble, you can always use the Mirror Lockup - Custom setting d10 - Exposure delay mode, on the Nikon D90.
I had great results too whilst dangling it from my upstairs banister shooting down the stairs! Long exp. too, and not a hint of slow sagging due to gravity provided the legs are properly oriented - the angles you can pull off are interesting too!
I'm also glad my local Jessops shop didn't have any of these in stock, as Amazon saved me a whole tenner off their price and delivered quickly. Thanks Amazon - I don't know why I bother checking in town any more.
Wholeheartedly recommended, its way better than some traditional boring old tripods I've bought in the past and more steady.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Tripod is stiff and cracks., 21 Jan 2013
Very disappointed with this Tripod. In principle the tripod is great. It can attach to anything and is very portable. Only problem is that after 3 times I've used it I've noticed a crack on one joint of the leg. I have asked to be replaced as defective product but neither Amazon or the seller accepted. So according to them the product is not defective therefore is very poor material. I wouldn't reccomend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so sturdy as you think!, 24 Mar 2010
I purchased this model of the Gorillapod specifically because I have a Canon 1000D SLR camera. I would have been extremely impressed with it if it wasn't for the fact that it broke the first time i went to use it! The top ball and socket of one of the legs cracked as soon as I moved it which I was shocked and disappointed with as I figured it was designed to be moved/bent in every direction. This unfortunately rendered the Gorillapod pretty useless on the first day on my holiday. I am waiting for Amazon to let me know if it can be returned outside of their 30 day policy. Maybe I was just unlucky enough to get a faulty one or maybe they are not as sturdy as they claim. Be warned!

‹ Previous | 1 2 335 | Next ›