5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album ** Funky, Crazy, Cool ***
Published on 18 Feb 2007 by Mr. L. G. Mccalla

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated, but still pleasurable
It's definitely not a 'hard' album but there are still pleasures to be found in it.

Obviously there's the smash hit Starz In Their Eyes but that aside there are snippets of good music which get overlooked a little bit and need to be played quite a lot - there's quite a lot of funk, always a good thing in my book.

It is only him, and therefore there's...
Published on 7 Mar 2012 by Dan Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album ** Funky, Crazy, Cool ***, 18 Feb 2007
Mr. L. G. Mccalla (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overtones (Audio CD)
Like most newcomers to just Jack I heard "Stars in there eyes" and thought what a great track, who is this guy. Now I find myself sat here 3 hours later having listened to Overtones 3 times over and over again. It gets better every time believe me. The funky tunes get funkier, the streetwise lyrics get more street. This is truly great, modern british music. This guy deserves a lot of props and in my humble opinion is streets ahead of the Street, really does skin Skinner. No time, Writers Block, Disco Friends my favourite tracks.... Roll on the third album...

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated, but still pleasurable, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: Overtones (Audio CD)

It is only him, and therefore there's not going to be choruses and guitar solos.

The story of young men in their twenties with nowhere to go and nothing to do is pretty good - shame it's such a common aesthetic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Overtones (Audio CD)
I just can't rate this album high enough.. Every track is a good one- No fillers. His lyrics are great and so are the tunes. Buy It!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Why you wanna be so downhearted?', 21 May 2009
This review is from: Overtones (Audio CD)
The follow-up to the patchy `The Outer Marker' is a little gem. Jack Alsopp's lackadaisical vocals coupled with hip-hop beats and topped-off with a Disco sensibility, is as intelligent, witty and droll as anything by Morrissey, Neil Tennant, Mike Skinner, Eminem or Paul Heaton of The Beautiful South; whilst the standout track 2007's ubiquitous `Starz in Their Eyes' - a searing indictment of fleeting fame - is merely the icing on a very impressive cake. Other key tracks are the cheeky `Glory Days' and punning `Disco Friends', but every one's a winner on Overtones; let's just hope Jack gets the recognition he so richly deserves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mellow and surprisingly tuneful, 20 Dec 2007
This review is from: Overtones (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of Just Jack until "Starz In Their Eyes" (which, on the album, is a slightly longer version than the single with a slow break in the middle) but I'm pleasantly surprised. The rest of the album isn't quite as upbeat as "Starz..." but it is worth getting if you were ever a fan of Galliano and their brand of tuneful acid jazz (":4" is probably the album closest in style to this one). "Overtones" is a bit more modern, though (plenty of cockney rapping and some surprisingly complex tunes) but that's no bad thing. This guy's got attitude but this album is very listenable and not at all abrasive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, tuneful and talented, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Overtones (MP3 Download)
I've been hearing "Starz" on the radio for ages, and really liked it. Finally, I decided to give the whole album a chance. Well worth it, a really different and unusual talent, though Jack does remind me a little of Stoney, another individual and unusual singer of neat, observational songs. Highly recommended, and I shall be looking out for more by this young man.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Jack, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Overtones (Audio CD)
Good album from Just Jack he's got a good sound and some great lyrics to go with him, good album

5.0 out of 5 stars Big fan, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Overtones (Audio CD)
Really like this album and I didn't think I would.

First time I heard Just Jack was when a single from this album, Stars In Their Eyes, was on a music channel and I didn't like it. I found his voice annoying, it was repetitive, and didn't like the lyrics either. However, this album is kick ass! Really fond of the song Writer's Block with its super funky bass line.

I think youngsters in general can relate to the lyrics of the song of having little enthusiasm, motivation, or hope. He sings a bit about smoking weed and getting 'weed psychosis'. But although some of the lyrics are of a depressing time in his life, he turns them around and sings about how he is past all that now. It is nice to hear of someone else who is struggling but comes out the other side. The song Glory Days is all about this.

I think this is a good album to restore your faith in modern music. if you lost it like I once did. Lyrics are heacy focused and I think they speak to a lot of youngsters or people who were once one. Think he has some original ideas, interesting breakdowns and such. Altogether, 12 original songs that hold ground on their own and work as well together as Kane and Able ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars i love this album!, 6 July 2007
This review is from: Overtones (Audio CD)
I love this album so much!
Sometimes when I hear the innane whitterings that some artists attempt to pass off as lyrics (you know who you are Mr Mc Cartney,) I despair. Three wonderful minutes in which you get your message across; in which to communicate something intelligent or meaningful, and they say doobeedootralala nothing.
But I love this album....(ooh, did I say that already, please excuse me, I confesss to being slightly obsessed).
The tunes are funky, the lyrics poetry, and it has rarely been out of my cd player since I bought it. Every time i listen to it it just gets better. I especially love "No time", which is the cheeriest interpretation of a destructive relationship I have ever heard. Buy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Aug 2014
good music good service

Overtones
Overtones by Just Jack (Audio CD - 2007)