5.0 out of 5 stars Recommending Vista for replacing your old XP installation
Used this to upgrade older XP systems (that will not run Windows 7) to Vista 32 bit. With this disk you can do upgrade installs from XP to Vista as well as clean installs of Vista. If you have issues with licence key, call the Microsoft telephone activation line. Licence is good.
Published 3 months ago by fearghas

1.0 out of 5 stars Close to uselsss.
Published on 12 Nov. 2007 by Mike Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommending Vista for replacing your old XP installation, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Various experiences with upgrading, the newer the computer the easier it was (1 I'm having to reinstall anyway) - you need reasonable broadband connection + patience to get through various issues. Make sure you backup everything if attempting an upgrade install. I'd recommend minimum 2GB RAM for upgrading to vista. Most consumer computers have slow 5400RPM disks so this does slow things down.
Why Vista ? I've no experience with early Vista but like everyone else I avoided it because of the bad press. Rather than replace old computers running XP, I've gone the Vista route to save the planet - why buy a new computer to read emails, save pictures and read a few docs ? Vista is supported till April 2017. Surprise is that it runs really well - better and faster than my previous XP - presumably Vista SP1 and SP2 solved the issues.
Big tip is to google "Windows Vista performance" - for older computers you do need to apply the tips: switch off Windows indexing, clean out the recycle bin, defrag your disk(s). Depending on your graphics card, you might need to turn off the aero stuff - the tips tell you how to do it. 1 tip I haven't tried yet is to use a usb memory stick to give the OS a boost. So overall, money better spent, for a lot of people, buying a Vista disk than buying a new computer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Close to uselsss., 12 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (PC) (DVD-ROM)
This operating system is so bugged that it's close to useless. You'll find 9 out of 10 programs not working; games - don't even bother! There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to install this to replace your XP system - XP is tested, working great and full of support files; Vista reduces your hardware to half its potential all in the name of looks. If you just want to start up your PC and watch the desktop for hours, this is the system for you. Don't try and run anything on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows Vista Business 32-bit, 25 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (PC) (DVD-ROM)
It is simple to install and seems pretty robust. Of course, like all software of this nature, it will never please everybody but for me it is more than adequate.

5.0 out of 5 stars To upgrade an old system., 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Arrived promptly and securely. Was in sealed box and installed first time no problems so have confidence in the supplier. I got it to upgrade a decade-old machine belonging to my landlord who refuses to get a new machine and which had too many problems on windows7, old hardware etc and frequent crashes and it runs much better and faster on vista with no crashes so far and recognises all the hardware even a camera from last century. The updates install fine and it activated with no problem , so I am happy with this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to XP, 30 Jun. 2007
Iain Bitran "ibitran" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have recently bought a new Sony laptop that came with Vista preloaded. I was looking forward to using the much hyped new operating system and my initial impression was that Vista looks nice and has some interesting new features. Then things stared to go wrong...

I will give you an example...I am the administrator of my laptop...or so I thought! I had to copy across a series of databasefiles from one directory to another and it appeared that I was able to do this. However, on further examination it appeared that Vista thought otherwise. I had one file - let's call it a.mdb - that I made a copy of - to a_1.mdb. I then deleted all the data on a.mdb and saved it. I then deleted it. All seemed to be working fine. Then I renamed a_1.mdb (this contained my original data) to a.mdb and, amazingly, all my data disappeared.

I am a software developer so I know what I am doing. It would appear that the file system on Vista is totally different and Vista intervenes if it thinks you are doing something that you should not be doing.

I am in the process of reformatting my laptop and will be installing good old XP Service Release 2.

So, avoid Vista until they fix some pretty major bugs. Isn't this always the case with our "friends" from Seattle?

4.0 out of 5 stars Its got the looks!, 20 May 2007
DB (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Given that two versions ago Windows seemed only capable of handling a few different colours, Windows Vista offers thousands of colours. Although XP had a nice colour scheme, it was not much at all. Windows Vista looks smart and colourful, DO NOT install on a computer that cannot run Aero, or install Home Basic, without Aero Vistas whole look is lost completely, before getting Vista I though Aero was cool, but who cares? Now using Vista reguarly I feel that Aero is in fact one of the fundemental features of Vista, without it Vista looses some of its advantage.

While Defender coming installed by default helps to reassure, the constant messages "Are you sure you want to do this", "A program wants to run, Cancel or Allow". For a user who lacks confidence with computers, even running basic applications can through up security warnings, unless of course they are M$ apps!

The big problem is compatibility, the first major blow to me was when I discovered Juice doesn't work with Vista, a nightmare. While I had been using XP Juice had become invaluable to me and now to lose it is a real pain, there is some complicated way to get it to work, but I just want it to work from one install. A second problem I sometimes have is FireFox, while relatively new to FF myself, it does seem to have several problems (one scapegoat is of course Add-Ons, of which I have several) but I think the main fault is Vistas. Then there is IIS which comes with Vista, it is a nightmare to get to work with PHP, although most people won't use it, I do (or would like to) but I can't!

The sidebar is cool, but on the whole rather useless as I never use it. But in future I hope to gain more from the gadgets. The new Start Menu too is a change, but not very hard to get used to, it just takes a bit of practise, but I'll miss the old way, it had its advantages! The inline search can pick up all sorts of unwelcome results of random application files I have (mostly SQL).

Meanwhile a great tool is the M$ Snipping tool, so much simpler than the Prnt Scrn, although takes a bit of getting out of the old habbit!

Then I'll mention the games (default turned off in Business), Chess Titans is a great good looking Chess game. The others too are good, minus the loss of PinBall (its for the better) they're fine.

Then my big moan, the log on screen, I KNOW I USE VISTA BUSINESS, DON'T REMIND ME WINDOWS! Unless you are logged in your version of Vista is inescapable of forgetting which version of the OS you are using, if it was just some text somewhere, I'm less bothered, but I believe even the background colour depends on your version of it.

However, Vista is the future, its worth getting used to, even if some compatibility problems will exist to begin with it, so will it be the case going from any OS.

Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (PC)
Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (PC) by Microsoft Software (Windows Vista)