5.0 out of 5 stars "You hear that. That's the sound of the universe."
After waiting for 2 years the BBC have finally released the fantastic soundtrack to what is essentially their flagship television show.

Murray Gold, the British equivalent to America's Bear McCreary (check out the Battlestar Galactica CD's to see what I mean) weaves a collection beautiful scores which span seasons 1 and 2.

It's not until you listen...
Published on 30 Dec 2006 by TK-1308

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but still its Doctor Who
I was disappointed with this CD in many ways, admittedly there are many great pieces of music on it - but i bought it like i think many others did for the Doctor Who theme. The final track on the disk contains the restored 'middle 8' section as used in series 2 of the new series, totally criminal it was ever left out in the first place in my opinion.

I listened...
Published on 11 Dec 2006 by Gary L. S. Rendle

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, sometimes better than what was on screen!, 6 Dec 2006
No Quarter (Lancs, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
The first new series of Who was amazing. The second was certainly patchy but, fortunately, the music was one of the saving graces. Murray Gold got a lot of flak over the weeks, if I remember, but most of the complaints were due to how loud the music often was in the show's mix, which wasn't his fault at all. Yes it was loud but that didn't matter to me because it was so GREAT, especially for a TV show.

I loved the frantic electronic stuff he did for the opening episode, 'Rose'. It really made a statement, quickly letting everyone know that this was NEW Doctor Who and it was out to make an impact. What Murray Gold did so masterfully then was to treat each episode as it's own animal, so you've got dramatic choral arrangements one week (for the likes of 'Dalek'), quiet emotional tones for the more personal story of 'Father's Day', some big orchestra work in a few episodes (especially the climactic sword fight in 'The Christmas Invasion'), and, of course, the 'Doctor's Theme' (you know the one, it's a woman singing when strange stuff happens, known to the fans as President Flavia's Theme) it's all here.

I'm pleased to know this album contains a track called 'The Face Of Boe' because that theme is excellent, one of the most haunting in series 2. Also, 'Song For Ten' and the new one from this year's Christmas ep - 'The Runaway Bride' should be a great listen. All in all, you're not a fan if you don't want to own this!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 12 April 2007
S. Macrae (barry , south wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
all you need to know about this album is ... if you love the new Dr who then this album is for you , i was blown off my feet by the music . some tracks like Cassandras waltz , the face of boe & madame DE pompadour are some of the most haunting tracks i have ever heard in my life , hell i am even listen to the disc as i type this . as some other reviewer said as your sat there listen you can really see the images in your head ..... its a master piece peeps ..... get it quick , you wont regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Gold!, 11 Dec 2006
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
The one thing that has struck me about the new Dr Who has been the distinctive music by Murray Gold. As a keen soundtrack collector and Who fan I have waited for this to come out. It arrived this morning and it went straight onto my player. The second it starts you're right there in the TARDIS. It's quite wonderfull and an amazingly varied collection of music. With all the toys out this Christmas for the younger fans it's great that the older fans should have this CD.

Can I ask Santa for volume 2 next Christmas?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 14 May 2007
S. Price "Moonshadow666" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
With thirty-one tracks on one cd, there is no way this could be anything but great value for money. I am so pleased that Doctor Who fans weren't just palmed off with the token twelve tracks; here we are getting all of Murray Gold's perfectly pitched, haunting and utterly compelling soundtrack for season one and two. Highlights are the extended orchestral version of the "Doctor Who theme", "The Doctor's Theme" (almost entirely Melanie Pappenheim's solitary vocals), and the fitting swansong for Billie Piper and Rose Tyler "Doomsday". Even the sleeve insert is top-quality, with Gold's music notes for each track! My only gripe is that "Song for Ten" is not the same version as on the "Christmas Invasion" episode, this one having been re-recorded with Neil Hannon.

5.0 out of 5 stars How could you give this a bad review?, 4 Jan 2009
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
This CD contains so much excellent music. Doomsday, for example, is a fantastic, really moving piece. It contains great variety, from upbeat and high tempo tracks such as Westminster Bridge, to more slow, slightly sad ones such as Madame de Pompadour. It even includes the glorious theme tune that we all love, and it includes a full length version of it (before and after the credits. Alongside the instrumental music, there are two tracks sang by Neil Hannon. Now, don't get me wrong, he's a great singer, but Song for Ten was better sung by the original, in the Christmas Invasion. But, it's still great to listen to. The whole CD is a reminder of the great episodes there have been.

Virtually all the music has been specially recorded for the CD, and this CD does the beautiful music in doctor who justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Gold just about raises the bar for all TV scoring...", 4 Jan 2007
Joanne K. Hussein (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
After a long wait, we've finally been given the gift of Murray Gold's fantastic score to Doctor Who-probably the best thing on TV at the moment. And with 31 tracks, I wasn't expecting them to all be that great, I just bought it for the likes of the main theme (the best version yet), doomsday and The Cybermen. But how wrong I was. Barring one or two, I can enjoy listening to all the tracks on this CD. On top of the ones listed already, Madame De Pompadour, Westminster Bridge and Song for Ten also make it into my altime favourite sountracks/TV music. Gold just about raises the bar for all TV scoring, and even some film scores at that.

The only disappointment I can think of is the newer version of The Face of Boe. I much prefer the version played on the actual New Earth episode rather than what we are given on the CD, which is much more 'all over the place' on the piano and the orchestra in the background is minor. Also, the secdond song by Neil Hannon isn't great, but worth a listen all the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Music, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
When Doctor Who returned to our screens in 2005, it came with new effects, new characters and new music. This albums has an absolutely superb variation of styles and moods.
NOTE: In Murray Gold's later albums, the tracks are listed in order of the episodes they appear in, but here this is not the case. In a way, this works better and prevents similar scores being placed one after the other.
It's a shame that Series 1 & 2 are on the same CD because it allows less room for tracks from different series and I reckon there is enough material to make a seperate album for each series, but this is a minor thing. I'm not going to list all the tracks, but here are some of my favourites (choosing favourites out of this CD was difficult!):

2. Westminister Bridge - A great theme that appeared in "Rose" in a slightly different version, but still a fantastic piece.

4. Cassandra's Waltz - A fun score, this. With each repeat more instruments play the tune until the end where it is actually quite loud.

5. Slitheen - The scene in "Aliens of London" where the Slitheen ship crashes into Big Ben was superb and this is a great score to match it.

12. Clockwork TARDIS - A great little score that slowly builds up layers of instruments.

14. Rose's Theme - A very familiar theme, having appeared in various scenes with Rose. First played in "The End of the World" and last played in "The End of Time - Part 2".

15. Song for Ten - A great song performed by Neil Hannon that appeared in different forms throughout Series Two with lyrics that relate to the Tenth Doctor.

21. The Lone Dalek - I think this is the longest track in the album but also one of the best. It first appeared in "Dalek" (surprisingly enough) but can also be heard in "The Satan Pit".

22. Tooth and Claw - A stormer of a theme, here. This theme also appeared in "The Satan Pit".

24. Monster Bossa - A short, quirky theme from "Boom Town" and one of my favourites.

26. The Cybermen - Another one of the familiar themes in New Who.

27. Doomsday - A great piece mainly featuring just a piano, a bass guitar and singing but still a great reminder to the climactic end of "Doomsday".

30. Love Don't Roam - The second song by Neil Hannon and my preferred of the two.

31. Doctor Who Theme - Album Version - The reason I didn't mention the TV version of this theme is that this version lasts longer and has more material in it. Here, the original theme is quite noticable in some places. This new theme is absolutely fantastic.

I would recommend this album to any fan of music and Doctor Who. A brilliant selection of music and fantastic value for money. All right, I've stopped...

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this CD, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
Ok, keep in mind I am a HUGE whovian, so this review will be more than partial.

I'm not exactly a soundtrack person, I like singing and fully musical recordings do not satisfy me, but... I simply HAD to buy this, after listening to the previews on this site... I mean, I am quoting the show along every time the music changes... Playing it at loop since it arrived, still not tired of it..
And I can't help crying every time I hear the wonderful Doomsday, The Daleks gives me the shivers....

I don't know why the other reviewers are disappointed by Song for Ten, it's brilliant even if it's different from the one played in the show...and the lyrics are so... perfect for Ten, for his troubled mind, he always seems so happy, always playing along, and in fact so troubled, sad and alone.

Ok, I'll stop this here.

If you are considering buying this... well, just go on and click that "add to basket" button. You won't regret it, I can promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 25 Jun 2010
M. Taylor "markorbit" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
Put simply, when Doctor Who returned in 2005 it had a heart rarely seen in the show. Make no mistake, a huge part of that is down to Murray Gold and his excellent soundtrack. This is now one of my favourite albums. I only wish each series could have had a CD each instead of a 'best of' S1 + S2. There is still some stuff left in the vaults from S1 that I would love to have.

Although there are subsequent releases for the series as it progressed, THIS is the one to get. All the CDs are good, but Series 1 in particular has Murray at his best.

My only gripe is that Rose's Theme which was one of the main themes is a little on the short side. The longer version at the Cardiff Concert is a wonderful composition.

Russel T Davies, Chris Eccleston, Billie Piper, David Tennant, Murray Gold... all get equal billing for me. It just would not have been as good without Murray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Stuff, 7 Jan 2007
DB (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two (Audio CD)
The one most notable thing from the New Series is not the dull and repetitiveness of the vaguely interesting script. It is the brilliant music which is matched brilliantly to the actions (rather unlike that of Seeds Of Death (Second Doctor) which immediately springs to mind, although the music in that is still good).

Its been on my CD player for a while now (about a week). Its great to listen to and is a most enjoyable and greatly varied collection.

Fantastic!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two
Doctor Who Original Music from Series One & Two by Murray Gold (Audio CD - 2010)