5.0 out of 5 stars I think its well worth the money...
Can't disagree more with the other reviews - I love the machine.

Published on 10 Dec 2009 by Matt

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably pleased
I agree with a number of people on here that the top area where the water is poured is narrow and if using the jug it can be difficult. It would have been better is the lid opened more to allow extra pouring room. When the lid is opened after use (even when cold), to take out the filer and clean, the water does tend to drip down the back of the machine. In addtion I...
Published on 8 Sep 2010 by Joao

5.0 out of 5 stars I think its well worth the money..., 10 Dec 2009
This review is from: Morphy Richards Cafe Mattino 47070 Programmable Filter Coffee Maker - Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
Can't disagree more with the other reviews - I love the machine.

The machine brews good coffee, I've had a couple of different blends in there and they all taste fine. There is a taste of plastic on the first brew, but if you flush the machines out 3 times as stated in the instructions it tastes OK. I went a little further and ran a brew with just water through the machine twice, then filled the tank with water and a little lemon juice (you know how lemon kills microwave smells etc...), let the water stand in the tank for an hour, then ran the lemon-juice/water mix through as a brew. Use proper lemon juice, not some lemon flavoured essence or whatever. I can't taste any plastic at all now.

But, most importantly - it keeps the coffee HOT HOT HOT for hours. There is a two-hour auto shut-off (which can't be disabled as far as I know) but if you switch the machine back on it re-heats the coffee soon enough. My old machine had a small hotplate and the coffee would go luke-warm after an hour or so and I used to hate that. The size of the plate on this machine is much bigger and the entire base of the jug sits on the plate (as opposed to some machines where just the middle of the jug sits on the base). This morphy richards model is much better than my last machine.

Two slight critisms. First, filling the tank is tricky - the opening is at the rear of the unit and the gap isn't very wide. Use the supplied jug and pour slow. Also, be careful condensation doesn't run down the back of the unit when you lift the lid while the unit is still hot. Second critism is that it comes out the box with a big transfer sticker on the front above the buttons and by the clock - this sticker covers the front of the unit and although it peels off OK leaves a mark which might take a while to fully get off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, slight niggles, 9 Mar 2011
A. Staw "tony s" (Pinner UK) - See all my reviews
Everything works quite well. Two things about this product were quite important to me, but hard to find out:
- It does have a 2-hour auto shut off
- The fixed mesh is removeable, as I prefer to use paper filters (less messy and no coffee grinds in the cup.

Filling with water is slightly awkward, as the top does not open that wide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Follow others' advice, 8 May 2010
A great little machine. If you follow the manufacturer instructions and run the machine on water a few times, you won't have a problem with coffee taste tainted with plastic. I also took the advice of another user and on the third wash cycle added fresh lemon juice to the water, let it stand for a hour then run the lemon water through. I like its compactness; it fits snugly in the corner of my kitchen worktop and looks good with other appliances. The clock and timer are a doddle to use. I set mine the night before to make fresh coffee first thing in the morning; I just love the smell wafting through the house as you get ready for work...

5.0 out of 5 stars WE LOVED IT!!!, 19 Aug 2010
Eleni - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is great! First of all it arrived immediately (within 24 hours) even though I expected the standard delivery!!!

The coffee is fantastic; I used the same brand I used with my previous coffee maker and it tastes a 100 times better. It works extremely fast, as it takes less then 10 minutes to make 12 cups of coffee. It is easy to use and programming is very simple. However what makes this little coffee maker endearing, is that we can wake up in the morning and have our excellent coffee waiting for us, freshly made and steaming. Seriously, we loved it so much we even named it, it is now called Godfrey!

As with all coffee makers, it requires cleaning with warm soapy water before use and it should first be used only with water. I believe that if these instructions are fallowed and the machine is properly cleaned after every use, you won't have any problems with the taste of your coffee; I know I did not.

The only negative is that because its size is not specified in the product description, it was a little bigger then expected, but that is not a major problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars great coffee, weak jug., 1 Mar 2011
fantastic simple coffee maker. set the timer in advance, trusty, reliable, works. wake to the smell of freshly brewed coffee, a welcome addition to the family. however, the glass jug is extremely fragile and broke within 3 days of use whilst washing up, very flimsy. beware. have ordered a new jug directly from MR however it was not cheap! on the whole, i'd buy it again. a great coffee maker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value coffee maker, 10 Mar 2010
Patricia Shepherd "Trish" (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This is my second one. With the first, I clumsily broke the glass jug. As I really liked the model I looked for a replacement jug but it was just as cheap to buy a whole new one! The jug on the later model is a little more sturdy. I have not experienced the alleged strange taste problems other users have reported but made sure I 'flushed' it through twice before brewing the first lot of coffee. It speedily brews a good quantity of coffee for at least 4 with top ups and keeps it hot. Overall the price was very good and delivery was extremely fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars best pressie ever, 9 Mar 2008
D. watson - See all my reviews
got this for my christmas and it's great. I love it! set the timer and have fresh coffee first thing in morning and set it to warm left over for coming home from work. only thing I will say is that after making a pot if you lift the lid to refill, the condenstion runs down the back of the pot. should have something to catch it but doesn't. other then that I think it's great, got one for my best friend.so nice to taste proper coffee again and not nescafe:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Morphy Richards 47070 Coffee Machine, 9 Mar 2011
We are now very glad we bought this, our first coffee machine. We had been reading reviews on here and elsewhere for weeks about various coffee machines including this one, and couldn`t decide because of all the negatives!
In the end we bought this one based on the price and the very nice stainless steel look of the machine, not wanting to dive in at the deep ( expensive ) end for our first one!

Initially we did 3 separate rinses, the middle one being with a 50/50 lemon water solution. Not one bit of plastic smell or taste was noticed! That had been our main worry based on some of the reviews.
We then made our first coffee on it, a Colombian strength 3 blend by a well known supermarket chain, it was delightful, if a little strong as I`d put too much in erring on the ' safe ' side! Ha ha ha!

The coffee is definitely hot/warm enough, about what you`d expect to sip, even with milk in!
We simply fill it up to the 6 cup mark to get 2 x mug size cups worth, pour our coffees out then switch it off!
This simple operation could not possibly be easier - just a case of filling the water, adding your spoons of coffee then turning on the power...NOTHING else!
The aroma is left hanging about for quite some time after though, it`s fantastic!

Had no experience yet with the timer, so can`t comment - the overall build quality is very solid and nothing feels flimsy at all to me. One thing I`m not so keen on is the removable filter, it got stained right away on the first use - but that`s only a minor gripe! ( you can buy replacements easily )
There`s been talk of the water inlet being too small - people struggling with a jug etc.....well we fill it with a jug pouring into a plastic funnel....hey presto as they say! Hee hee! Not really an issue at all....

We got it saying we`d use it on Sunday mornings,....3 weeks later, it`s being used every day! :-)

Any way, I can highly recommend it and have zero regrets about shelling the very low price of it out - absolute bargain! :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars It does its job, 12 Feb 2011
I. Beeston "ICB" (Cumbria UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this coffee maker as a replacement for my previous Morphy Richards machine which wasn't keeping the coffee warm enough for my liking. The new one makes good, warm coffee and I haven't been aware of the plastic taste that some buyers have complained about, though I like my coffee strong which may mask it. It is rather too big for my needs but there don't seem to be many smaller ones available. A minor criticism is that, due to the design of the top lid, condensed water runs down the back of the machine and pools on the work top when the lid is opened. All in all, though, it fulfils its purpose adequately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a good buy !!, 8 Dec 2010
Bought this even after reading the past reviews but I thought it was still looking like a good buy and I think it is. The only bad thing about it IS the condensation once its been used it DOES run down the back of machine so be advised and place a cloth at the back of it before you lift the lid !! It keeps it hot and its soo simple to use and clean, it looks good and Im very happy with it, simple timer and i didnt get any plastic taste from my machine nor did I have any annoying stickers on it. I didnt find a problem filling it with water either.. just use a jug !! So thats my opinion and I would buy another 1.