4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, but pricy and needs software to be downloaded

3.0 out of 5 stars Early days for Bluetooth home phones
Published on 21 Feb 2007 by Mr. N. M. Webb

3.0 out of 5 stars Early days for Bluetooth home phones, 21 Feb 2007
Mr. N. M. Webb "Nick" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gigaset SL565 Cordless Phone with Answering Machine (Electronics)
This phone is heavily marketed as a high end landline wireless phone with Bluetooth. Beware of the marketing and expect less than your Bluetooth mobile gives you. I'm disappointed with Siemens customer service. I found the manual to be vague and in some cases missing points altogether. I found the Bluetooth function less functional than I'd like. Headset compatability is a big issue. Neither Siemens or headset manufacturers will commit to a headset working with this phone. I've tried several, including Plantronics and NOKIA; with mixed results. I've now bought a DECT headset...and it works like Bluetooth should have. The build quality of the phone is weak-especially the keypad. It feels brittle and unlikely to last long. Wireless phones have a hard life. I expect more from a phone costing over 100 and described as a market leader. If you specifically want Bluetooth wireless, connectivity with a PC or mobile, wait for the next phase of these types of phones. We're not there, yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting close to really good features, but disappointing, 9 Mar 2007
On paper this is one of the best DECT phones out there: top quality, bluetooth, data sync, skype connectivity, stylish etc, but the harsh reality is that it does not deliver what users have come to expect from those features.

Firstly the phone looks great and the charging docks are good looking and work very well. I just found the feel of they phone keys like a cheap kids toy. Quite disappointing for a phone meant to be the best of the bunch.

The voice quality is good but the speaker phone functionality is again poor. The callers say I sound distant. even my old 25 cordless phone had better speakerphone quality. Quite disappointing for a phone meant to be the best of the bunch.

The data sync requires a not supplied data cable, even though you can connect the phone to your PC via bluetooth, it can't be used for data sync. Then once you get the data cable (DCA-510 USB) it is not really a data "sync", it is a copy, and if you have multiple handsets, you have to do the same for each one. On my mobile and pda, when I connect to the PC they do a true sync, the records are updated both ways. With the siemens software (Mobile Phone Manager) you can only view and copy between the phone and outlook. Better than nothing, but not deserving of the term "sync".

The Skype adapter does work quite well in that incoming calls ring like normal calls and can be answered from any handset. The downside is that making outgoing skype calls is problematic. You have to "dial" the skype adapter and then using a extremely slow piece of text software fumble through the various features. So incoming - excellent, outgoing - hardly worth the effort. And lets not forget that the PC has to be running all the time. I would like to see a PC-free skype functionality.

I am still more or less pleased with the phone as there is nothing better (yet) but I think they phone does not deserve the hype.

3.0 out of 5 stars SIEMENS SL565, 29 Jan 2007
I've had to return this phone as it had the following faults: 1) answer machine didn't seem to disengage properly -- I got "Sorry, you have dialled incorrectly" as the end of each message. My previous (significantly cheaper) Phillips phone/answer machine worked fine. 2) the handsets have disconnected from the base station at times, with the person at the other end thinking I've hung up on them! 3) the control key fell off one of the handsets despite it hardly been touched (I mainly use a Plantronics 510 bluetooth headset -- which, by the way, is great). The Siemens website suggests games are available for the handsets, but I couldn't find any. The Siemens customer support line was useless -- after putting me on hold, they told me to reset the base station despite telling them at the beginning of the conversation, that I'd already reset the base station and both handsets twice. Also I think they charged me for that 10 min call at 75p/min! (I know for sure after I get my bill). Despite the above, the phone is nice albeit expensive. I await optimistically for my replacement. The only other alternative bluetooth house phone I have found is the similarly expensive BT Glide. Unless you need/want Bluetooth connectivity I suggest you opt for a cheaper more robust phone system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, but pricy and needs software to be downloaded, 8 Jan 2007
I was lucky to have been given this phone for Xmas by my girlfriend. I wanted it mainly because it allowed me to use my blue tooth headset. I have a plantronics 510 headset that was very easy to pair. Although I can recieve calls fine when I pair my headeset with the SL65 and another device (such as my mobile), I found that it's inconvenient to make calls on the SL65 using the headset. The practice is to make the call and then "connect" the bluetooth headset to the phone call. On my headset (and I'm sure on others too), this meant pressing the call button on the headset which doesn't work if it's paired with another device. This isn't such a big problem, but you should be aware of this.

The sound quality I get through the headset is excellent as is the sound quality when used in a conventional fashion. The phone also comes with a speaker phone which works well.

One of the other main features of this phone is its ability to sync up with your PC address book. My contacts are contained in Outlook and you'll need to download software from the Siemens website to do this as the phone is not supplied with a CD. I had to do some hunting around on the net and the found directions on how to do this. I can't understand why these weren't provided with my phone.

I couldn't get my desktop PC with bluetooth dongle to work well with the SL65 software. It would only allow me to load contacts individually in much the same way that sending a business card using blue tooth works. I don't think that this was a problem with the software, but rather my bluetooth dongle. You can pick up a USB data cable for the phone (which works well) from eBay.

All in all I'm pleased with this phone and it's a joy to use a wireless headset. It's disappointed that Siemens left its customers short when it comes to providing adequate directions and software especially for its high price. To the best of my knowledge, there aren't many alternatives for the home (if you want wireless headsets) so if you don't mind the cost and the hassle of downloading software (if you need to sync) then you'll like this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fussy - but great when it's sorted, 2 Sep 2007
Caroline P. (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I had the same problems as some of the others. With a bit of fiddling, I found Vista drivers online and was able to sync with Outlook 2003 (although it needed some filtering bc if there are more than 3 numbers to a name it just sends the numbers across. Very useful - not!). However, I simply couldn't get it to work with my Sony Ericsson headset.

Tried a new headset today - a TalkSmart Pro2. Don't know if Amazon sell it, but it's 15 from John Lewis. And it worked immediately! Now the phone is doing everything it says on the tin and it's great. I was all ready to send it back.

The manual is also pretty poor. Some things aren't covered at all, others give you the wrong series of key presses. On the whole, though, it's easy to work things out via the phone menus.

3 stars only for being such a pain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing features, disappointing reliability, 13 July 2010
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm really disappointed with the quality of this phone. I bought it - and three additional handsets - to replace an aging BT DECT handset, which in retrospect was much better built and had more useful features.

The Siemens has loads of features, many of which are quite painfully difficult to use. One of the selling points is that you can synchronise your computer contacts. No you can't, not without Bluetooth on your computer, or an additional cable that costs far more than it reasonably should. Once I'd bought a Bluetooth adapter, it took me a couple of hours to work out how to get the synchronisation to work. The backlight for the display is always on if the phone is in its charging cradle, which I feel is wasteful.

The phone has lots of mobile-phone type features, hardly any of which you're likely to need on a home phone. The bits you do need - a loud enough earpiece, a decent speakerphone option, the option to mute your microphone (to allow you to cough, for example) without the person at the end hearing tinny music - are all missing.

One thing I really like about this phone is that the charging station is separate from the bit that plugs into the telephone line, so if you're telephone line is in a silly place (mine is), you're sorted. I wonder why this isn't more common?

From a reliability point of view, the story is not very good. One of my handset's microphone stopped working, and then the power supply on the base unit (the one that plugs into the phone line) died, all within 18 months of purchase.

"Which?" magazine raved about this phone. My own experience is that is is at best average. I'm looking for something better to replace it as we speak....

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it look like, 5 Sep 2008
Faisal Ihsan (Glasgow, Scotland,UK) - See all my reviews
2 main draw backs = 1: The hearing volume is very very low. Mostly i have to use speaker phone option. 2: the bluetooth is crap its not like on mobilephones, its not much compatiable with other devices and hard to use. I am using this at my work , but have panasonic at my home and what, Better to buy Panasonic they r the best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Siemens SL565 Gigaset - Sync/copy does not work, 15 Aug 2008
Hi,

I bought it specifically because I want to copy contacts via Bluetooth.
The Bluetoth pairing was OK with both my MAC and Blacberry. It is not possible to copy contacts from the MAC with file transfer. ISync does not support this phone either.

From the blackberry you can "sometimes" copy addresses but only one at a time. The transfer is unreliable and a pain on the blackberry which wants to transfer a whole address catagory, so you must ceate a new catagory, move the addresses to it one at a time, and tranfer them, then sometime it works sometimes not. I have now wasted more time on this that manually enetering 200 contacts.

The build quaity also feels like the first drop wil break it.

It will be returned to the shop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 5 July 2008
The bluetooth function is *very* primitive, both for adding contacts and for adding images/ringtones, my 3 year old Motorola mobile is much more sophisticated (which is a bad sign given how grim Motorola's mobile features can be!).

It is certainly not a phone with contact 'sync' feature, more like a one-way push of vcards to the handset, one at a time.

The 'mute' feature is not a mute feature, it is really a 'hold' feature with optional music, so for conference calls no use at all.

The range isn't as good as the Philips Zenia it replaces, but there's not much in it.

On the plus side, the sms function worked straight out of the box.

My main problem is the base station power supply failing after only three days, I'm waiting for replacement so back to an old corded phone for now.

From the feature list I had expected a lot better. Aside from the hardware fault these are all things that could have been dramatically improved if Siemen's had paid more attention to the software. Underwhelmed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gigaset SL565, 19 April 2011
The phone is OK but the advertised standby time of 'up to 250 hours' is misleading. If you opt to use the screen saver the standby time drops to under 4 days between charges - no warning of this in the user guide.