5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic cooling power
Purchased this with the AC adapter.
Published on 2 May 2011 by HollyB.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not fit for purpose
Published on 5 Oct 2011 by Waterborne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not fit for purpose, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: Campingaz Powerbox 36L Classic-A Thermo Electric Cooler (Sports)
I read other reviews about the noise of the fan from this cooler and I thought, 'it can't be that bad', especially since the Amazon website description says "Brushless motor for a longer lifetime and quieter operation". How wrong I was! It sounds a bit like a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a jet aircraft going overhead from a distance. It would be impossible to sleep anywhere near this when it is plugged in, so I thought - maybe you can switch it off at night? No! Within an hour of switching off the inside temperature rises ten degrees and within a few hours it is almost back to room temperature so anything left in it at night is going to be warmer by morning.

I also found that the temperature was only 16-17 degrees below ambient at best rather than the 18 degrees specified. Finally, the website description says "removable shelves" but it is only supplied with one.

Overall, the coolbox was not as described so it went back to Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars cool but not for long!, 16 Jun 2011
We bought this fridge for our holiday to Italy. We decided to take it with us when we went camping during half term and it lasted 3 days before it simply stopped working. It was warm in our tent but nothing compared to what I expect in the summer. There was no evidence of it burning it just stopped. When it worked everything was lovely and cool there was water dripping and collecting at the bottom but not excessive.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic cooling power, 2 May 2011
Purchased this with the AC adapter.
Pre-cooled it before our trip, plugged it into the car on the way there, then moved to our room and connected it to AC. Had it going for 5 days, and it was great. Much roomier than expected. Had VERY cold drinks throughout. Foods remained perfectly fresh. Only down side is its quite noisy. We took an extension cord and left it outside. Highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product, but a little noisy and on the large side!, 22 Aug 2011
I bought this for a recent camping trip to Norfolk. I bought it with the aim of it being the main fridge type facility in a camper van that I'm currently doing up. I decided to take it away on our one night camping trip and it was a bit overkill to be honest. On the plus side I cooled it before setting off using the adaptor that I bought seperately and then plugged it into the cigarette lighter for my 2 hour+ journey. It's on the large side and didn't fit behind my seat, so it had to go on the rear seat. It is very noisy indeed, but in the car you don't notice this. Our campsite didn't have an electric hookup, so I took freezer packs with me, which effectively turned it into a fancy coolbox. It stayed very cool whilst plugged in, but wasn't as effective with the freezer packs. We have a 4 man tent with a porch area and it did fit in here very well. I'd certainly recommend this as it does store a lot, but if you have clean fresh drinking water at the site you're going to (so you don't have to take bottled water with you) I'd go for something smaller. It is a good quality product though, but only useful if you can plug it in at the campsite you're going to or are using it in the car (size of car permitting).

1.0 out of 5 stars Smoker, 17 July 2011
Bought this item as over flow for main fridge. Only used it three times and it packed up. Something in the unit has burnt out big time as it gives off a horrid burning smell and it has contaminated the goods that were in it like fruit but also it has made containers smell even when they were removed from this cooler and they still smell days later.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fridge......but noisey, 1 Jun 2011
I bought this fridge for my mother to use in her caravan. It arrived quickly and we excitedly opened the box. At first I was a little disappointed because insider there was only one shelf and the 12v power lead. I had assumed that because on the description it said removable SHELVES that this meant more than one. Apparently not. I had also wrongly assumed that because this was a 12/240v a 240v adaptor would come with it but again no. That was purely my fault for not reading the description properly. So after plugging the box up and going for a drive I was impressed with how cool the box got but it is quite noisy. At the end of the day its great at keeping things cool.....not so great if you are sat next to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars AEROPLANE IN THE AWNING, 7 May 2013
BOUGHT CAMPINGAZ CLASSIC A 36l in march, and used first time may bank holiday,at start it was loudish but bearable,but after it had been on for a few hours the cool box took a good go at impersonating a small light prop plane, which would beat any petrol generator for noise. my advice if buying one, is to buy plenty of ear defenders to hand out at the campsite you stay, so people can sleep, or youll end up unplugging it as we did. if i was still in the 30 day money back gaurentee period this would be on its way back! my advice dont waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars 36 litre power cool box, 13 Aug 2012
Bought this to take on summer sailing hol's 2012. Yacht hasn't got fridge fitted. This was one of the best purchases I have ever made for a particular role. Adding already chilled items helped and this machine kept all foods and drinks at a wonderfully chilled temperature. I would recommend this 'wee fridge'; as I named it; to anyone thinking about buying it. It was a complete boon. Comes with a 2 year guarantee too, perfect!!
Watch out for the seal in the lid, pops out sometimes - am going to contact campingaz about this.

4.0 out of 5 stars A big and good cooler for camping, 2 Mar 2012
Very well made and useful electric cooler. It also heats so can be used to keep things warm. The only problem is that the fan is a little bit noisy, so at night you should turn it off, but keeps the cold very well. The door is very well done and closes perfectly. It's a little bit big, so if you have a car with no space or you carry a lot of luggage when you travel, think about a smaller one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerbox - noisy!, 21 April 2012
It is a good size and fits well into the car and the tent but it is quite noisy when it is running so you need to switch it off when you are sleeping.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›