5.0 out of 5 stars Campingaz Thermo Electric Cooler 24 Litre
Published on 8 July 2011 by Alan H

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not fit for purpose
Published on 5 Oct. 2011 by Waterborne

5.0 out of 5 stars Campingaz Thermo Electric Cooler 24 Litre, 8 July 2011
Purchased the Campingaz Thermo Electric Cooler 24 Litre for a road trip to Switzerland. Pre chilled the food and drinks, added a couple of freezer ice packs, plugged it in to the AC/DC transformer which was purchased as an optional extra to enable the chilling process to commence within the home, plugged it into the cigarette lighter when we set off, opened the coolbox on route for breaks, contents were still ice cold when we arrived at Switzerland 12 hours after departing. Really good buy. The product has received some negative remarks from purchasers who have a misunderstanding of the product, it's purpose is to keep food and drinks cold, hence the ice packs, it is not designed to chill from room temperature, it is not a fridge! This is a quality product, it does was it is designed to do when used correctly, a really good investment for travelling and picnics or transporting frozen food in the hot weather. 100% satisfaction...........Cheapest from Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps food and drink chilled on the move and while camping, 21 May 2009
KWren "KWren" (Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I have one of these and the slightly larger Campingaz Powerbox 36 Classic Te Cooler and both offer impressive performance and fulfill their promises.

This is a traditional 'cool box' design - ie an insulated plastic crate with lid providing a small cooling fan whereas the Powerbox is more like a mini-fridge with shelves and compartments.

While camping or 'on the road' it can be a battle to keep things cool but this fits perfectly into a footwell and keeps food and drink chilled to 16 degrees below the ambient temperature (the Powerbox is slightly more powerful at 18 degrees below). If your lighter socket isn't live when the engine is switched off then it will stop running - but the box and its contents still remain cool for several hours. This has a tough build and will withstand the bumps and knocks which are inevitable when camping.

It's also good for keeping frozen foods cold when restocking the fridge/freezer on a supermarket run in hot weather when there's a risk of foods rapidly thawing or becoming dangerously warm in a hot car.

A recommended and reliable purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, 25 Oct. 2010
Purchase this item along with the adaptor for a camping holiday. Kept everything cold. Very pleased with the purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not fit for purpose, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Campingaz Powerbox 36 Classic-A Te Cooler (Automotive)
I read other reviews about the noise of the fan from this cooler and I thought, 'it can't be that bad', especially since the Amazon website description says "Brushless motor for a longer lifetime and quieter operation". How wrong I was! It sounds a bit like a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a jet aircraft going overhead from a distance. It would be impossible to sleep anywhere near this when it is plugged in, so I thought - maybe you can switch it off at night? No! Within an hour of switching off the inside temperature rises ten degrees and within a few hours it is almost back to room temperature so anything left in it at night is going to be warmer by morning.

I also found that the temperature was only 16-17 degrees below ambient at best rather than the 18 degrees specified. Finally, the website description says "removable shelves" but it is only supplied with one.

Overall, the coolbox was not as described so it went back to Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cooler Box, 29 Jun. 2010
This Thermo Electric Cooler is an excellent product. I bought it to use on my yacht and combined with a 12volt mains convertor I can either run it of the ships 12volt supply or off 240V mains shore power when in port. It keeps all products at a nice temperature including beer, wine, and food. A word of warning though don't connect it to the 12volt supply unless you have the engine running as it is a big drain on the battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars cool coolbox, 16 Jan. 2011
We drove down to Spain last September and this coolbox was worth it's weight in gold. We also put it to use as an extra fridge over christmas which proved a real boon.

2.0 out of 5 stars cool but not for long!, 16 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Campingaz Powerbox 36 Classic-A Te Cooler (Automotive)
We bought this fridge for our holiday to Italy. We decided to take it with us when we went camping during half term and it lasted 3 days before it simply stopped working. It was warm in our tent but nothing compared to what I expect in the summer. There was no evidence of it burning it just stopped. When it worked everything was lovely and cool there was water dripping and collecting at the bottom but not excessive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase., 10 Aug. 2009
Excellent purchase, i was really impressed with this cooler box. If you are looking for a 12v cooler then this is the one! hardly uses any power and keeps the food and beers well chilled.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 2 Dec. 2012
I use to like this cool box but it brokedown a after using it for a 2 week camping holiday

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product, but a little noisy and on the large side!, 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Campingaz Powerbox 36 Classic-A Te Cooler (Automotive)
I bought this for a recent camping trip to Norfolk. I bought it with the aim of it being the main fridge type facility in a camper van that I'm currently doing up. I decided to take it away on our one night camping trip and it was a bit overkill to be honest. On the plus side I cooled it before setting off using the adaptor that I bought seperately and then plugged it into the cigarette lighter for my 2 hour+ journey. It's on the large side and didn't fit behind my seat, so it had to go on the rear seat. It is very noisy indeed, but in the car you don't notice this. Our campsite didn't have an electric hookup, so I took freezer packs with me, which effectively turned it into a fancy coolbox. It stayed very cool whilst plugged in, but wasn't as effective with the freezer packs. We have a 4 man tent with a porch area and it did fit in here very well. I'd certainly recommend this as it does store a lot, but if you have clean fresh drinking water at the site you're going to (so you don't have to take bottled water with you) I'd go for something smaller. It is a good quality product though, but only useful if you can plug it in at the campsite you're going to or are using it in the car (size of car permitting).

Campingaz Powerbox 36 Classic-A Te Cooler