4.0 out of 5 stars From genius to B-movie madness, loved it.
Some people complain about the packaging, I liked it, there's a bit of thought gone into making a fold out Empire State Building case to hold these 4 discs. It's not particularly sturdy but it's not designed to be left open.
Published on 7 Mar 2011 by I. R. Kerr

3.0 out of 5 stars Gypped by the Gorilla
Published on 2 Dec 2005 by Leealike

4.0 out of 5 stars From genius to B-movie madness, loved it., 7 Mar 2011
I. R. Kerr (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
There's enough been written about the original movie over the years, it's been one of my favourite movies for ages, I still love the stop-motion effects after all these years. The Kong v Tyrannosaurus scene is a good precursor of the Godzilla movie.
The black and white King Kong disc runs for just under 1hr 36 mins, the colourised version is slightly longer 1hr 40 mins, the scenes where Kong eats his way through the natives looks great in colour, as does the train scene. Years later Godzilla had a similar dislike for that form of transport.
Like a previous reviewer I bought this set mainly for the 2 Toho movies. King Kong vs Godzilla is a classic monster romp with two prehistoric enemies ape & dinosaur return to their stomping ground Japan to battle it out. Godzilla following his natural homing instincts whilst Kong is taken there courtesy of a pharmaceutical company as a marketing gimmick. It is cheesy but it is good fun and the fight between our two titans is unintentionally hilarious, not forgetting Kong fighting a large Octopus as it attacks a village.
King Kong Escapes is a camp classic, international criminal Dr Who is hired by an unnanmed Asian country to help mine Element X from the North Pole. At first using his robot Kong then when that succumbs to the radiation he captures the original Kong. The climactic fight between robot and ape on top of Tokyo Tower is terrific. Female lead Linda Miller was a model living in Japan at the time, she looks great but apparently her voice was dubbed which is odd as it sort of grates after a while. Maybe her own voice would have been better after all?
For the price I paid I have no complaints, this is a great collection, as for comments that it is not complete, it is never touted as the complete Kong collection. Son of Kong would have been a nice addition but I'm more than happy with this gem.
Just one minor niggle, it's odd that the 2 Toho discs are wrongly named, King Kong Escapes has King Kong Vs Godzilla on it and vice versa. Other than that, spot on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gypped by the Gorilla, 2 Dec 2005
I can't help shake the feeling we're getting the raw end of the deal this side of the Atlantic when it comes to King Kong. Over in the US the original King Kong has been finally released to DVD with a multitude of brand new extras, documentaries, recreated lost sequences - plus it's original sequel (Son of Kong) and belated follow-up from the same production team (Mighty Joe Young). The spectacular collectors set even includes a reproduction of the original programme from the film's premiere in 1933.
Here in the UK we get a rather shabbily designed box set with two of the fun but practically unrelated 1960s TOHO produced man-in-a-gorilla-suit Kong movies from Japan and - horror of horrors - the colourised version of the original film. We also get a 12 year old documentary which first saw the light of day on the 80th anniversary VHS release.
Yup, bit of a raw deal...

3.0 out of 5 stars A LITTLE LET DOWN, 27 Feb 2011
Firstly if this was a decent version of the original King Kong I would be giving it 5 stars. It is a classic film and whilst I'm not a complete Kong fanatic still have to respect that.

I just feel a little let down by this box set in general, even though at this price I perhaps shouldn't be too critical. It is nice to have the colourised version even though it is not something I will watch many times.

My main reason for buying this was the inclusion of the two 1960's Toho films. I have always loved these films and they didn't let me down. Badly Dubbed in places, terrible acting and men running around in suits. Perfect. I actually thought the picture quality was pretty good as well.

This collection though just feels like its been hastily thrown together from what is available. I think if we are going to have a proper King Kong Collection all the films should be released in some sort of order with new extras that build into a set worthy of the original film.

I will add that the packaging adds to my criticism because whilst I did get all the films that were advertised the discs themselves were all labelled incorrectly.

To sum up if you have a passing interest in this type of film or are a Kong completist then at this price it's not a bad box set to get. On the other hand if you are looking for a definitive version of the original film then give this a miss and go for the import version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just wow!, 16 Mar 2009
R. Jones "rebeld0g" (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm sure that by now most of you know the story or have seen the film so I'll concentrate this purely on the quality of the Blu-Ray experience. King Kong is a magnificent movie made so much better by this stunning high-def release. The picture quality is breathtaking at times, especially some of the long distance shots across the rich jungle and the city scenes.It's just gorgeous to watch from end to end. The audio is also amazing, every bit as glorious as you want it to be.

The special features are pretty cool, particularly the way they are embedded into the main feature and are accessed by context-sensitive icons that can be switched on or off at will. I didn't notice much new in there, just a new way of watching them really, but it's great to see them again and really brill to see them so cleverly presented.

Oh, and you get both versions of the movie, the original theatre version and the special edition. Both look and sound utterly remarkable.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Kong on Blu Ray, 28 Dec 2010
This is my first Blu Ray disc, played with the LG LE475300 (47" Full HD 1080p, LED TV 100Hz) with an LG Blu Ray Network player, via HDMI and using an optical lead via the TV to an older Toshiba DVD 5.1 player and surround system. The level of detail is awesome for the film - it truly is stunning and I believe does high definition justice. There are some scenes where the film crew and captain are out looking for Ann, they are on makeshift tree branches as boats, as they glide on the river the detail is brilliant. Also, scenes where the crew are walking through the jungle and the daylight is coming through, there is realism to the detail, it looks fantastic!! Vivid bright colours, good definition of darks especially on King Kong, so Id give this 5 stars. Although I cant really comment on the sound as I've hooked the film up to a theatre system and its not coming directly through the blu ray player, it still sounds good. Go out and get it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Skull Island -- the tropical destination that's big on wildlife!, 22 Dec 2008
This review is from: King Kong [DVD] (DVD)
Peter Jackson's labour of love is a spectacular, if overlong, remake of the movie that filled him with wonder as a small boy and inspired him to become a film maker. He may play fast and loose with the viewer's ability to suspend disbelief, giving us, as he does, indestructible people who are impossibly lucky when avoiding being trampled and can strafe their entire surroundings with machine-gun fire and only hit the monsters, but this is OK because it's part of the film's glorious sense of fun. And there may be plenty of ripe dialogue and facial contortion but Jackson puts so much heart into his production that this is perfectly in keeping with the tone of the work. Jackson has made a thrilling homage to the original Hollywood blockbuster, while successfully maintaining the emotional core of the plot. Self-indulgent it may be but it's all the better for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars all NEW extras, 29 Mar 2007
P. D. gray "ChaplinFan" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Just thought I'd do a short review to stress that all the extras on this set are BRAND NEW for this release and arn't a duplication of the stuff on the 2-Disk release. In fact, if you want the whole lot you'll have to buy the 2-Disk release, this set and the Peter Jackson diarys but its recommended for film students and anyone interested in how a film production works because never before has there been such an indepth look at a film is made, from its conception to final release and lots more besides. Also theres loads of fascinating info about how the film was planned to be made BEFORE Lord of the Rings but fell through thanks to another studio making Mighty Joe Young, the original ideas Jackson had for the first Kong film were so different to the one he eventually made and its amazing to hear all about it.

Also theres a featurette all about the homages to the original Kong movie which are present in the remake, did you know that Jackson owns props from the original film and dotted them about the set on his movie, watch the featurette and see what they are!

Personally I liked the new Kong film and think it got a quiet reception merely because it was, understandably, overshadowed still by the Lord Of The Rings films, its a most enjoyable romp and although theres not a great deal of footage added to this directors cut, the scenes that are added are really good and theres loads of additional scenes to watch in the extras which werent included in the directors cut, so basically this dvd has loads of extra footage...but Jackson decided to stick most in with the extras instead of pad the film out too much.

Its a very nice set and whilst I agree with another reviewers comments that the packaging isnt as nice as the Lord Of The RIngs special editions, the Disk contents are just as good and the box, inlays have lovely artwork..still head and shoulders above many special editions!

Kong is STILL King!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected...., 15 Mar 2006
I must admit, when I saw this at the cinema I wasn't what you would call excited... In fact we only saw Kong as the film we went to see was not on!
But I was sooo wrong. I was absolutely blown away from start to finish. It is beautifully directed and shot and I love Jack Black in this film. Naomi Watts was perfect in her role, she has the doey eyed look of a female in distress down to a tee.
I know some people must be thinking "It's just another re-make" and I thought that at first but honestly, this is a moving, exciting and thrilling re-make. Most probably the best re-make I have ever seen. Three hours flew by and I wanted the film to go on....
Peter Jackson shows his strengths in this feature and I hope he carries on making pictures as truly wonderful as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars MONSTER VALUE, 8 Feb 2012
The movie sound and picture throughout is greatly enhanced by Blue Ray.The detail and depth in opening city scenes will wet your appetite for more.The bigger your TV the better the enjoyment.There's about 17 minutes extra added as well as additional features built into the DVD.
You won't ever be bored and you'll be glad you bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Kong Collection., 5 Dec 2011
T. Gussmann (East Midlands. England.) - See all my reviews
A MUST for All Kong fans, forget all the films
that came after 1932 the Original is the BEST
and the one & Only. It is worth buying this
collection just for the original.#
I would recommend this box set to others
and rate it highly. 8/10.

King Kong [HD DVD]
King Kong [HD DVD] by Andrew Lesnie (HD DVD - 2006)
2.26