on 13 June 2008
Bought one of these from the Apple Store in Manchester, could have got it cheaper here ;-(

It is VERY quiet indeed so I can't agree with one of my fellow reviewers here. Obviously if you have a Mac everything it pretty much plug and play, or rather back up. And if you have a Mac Mini it's a neat unobtrusive piece of kit for your desktop.

It comes with Retrospect Express which is all well and good but if you have the latest OSX it's Time Machine compatible which is a better option. It's very simple to use and Retrospect is more complicated than it need be. The drive comes with all the leads and plugs you'd expect including a very neat short length firewire cable for those who do intend to put the drive under their Mac Mini.

As for the flickering 'i' symbol on the front that is no reason not to buy this product. In actual fact it's nice to have something pulsing on and off to show you that backups are in progress - otherwise you'd be left wondering if it was actually working!
on 22 January 2009
This is the first time I have written a review, but I am so impressed with this device that I thought I'd share my experience.
I have a Mac and it was so simple to setup. As soon as I connected up via Firewire, my Mac found the harddrive and I was asked if I wanted to use it to run Time Machine. I said yes and the device was clearly visible on my desktop. How easy was that! It's a very quiet piece of equipment, looks fantastic and is easy to hide discreetly behind my Imac monitor. I didn't actually realise it when I bought it, but the usb and firewire hub is a great added feature. I had some initial difficulty using the usb hub as you have to connect your hard drive via usb to your mac in order for it to work. Now that I have done that, I have 3 extra usb connections that run my printer, ipod and wireless mouse. Saves me having to buy a usb hub which I was planning to do in the near future.

All in all, I have been unable to fault this hard drive so far and I've been using for several weeks now. I ended up paying extra to get the 1TB version so that it will last me much longer and so that I can make use of Time Machine, while also using the hard drive to put extra data on.

I hope you find it as easy to use as I have.

It's rare to find something that is so easy to use.
on 6 November 2008
I've had this product for 1.5 years and I have found it an incredible product. It transfers data quickly, I don't actually find it that noisy, if you're actually trying to listen to it then you might find it loud but I forget about it after a while. As for the flickering light, I know it's always flickering however you ignore it after a while.

It's a great product and hasn't been a problem at all, never broke or crashed.
on 5 May 2008
Can't recommend this drive enough - works seamlessly with anyone using Mac OS leopard and the USB/Firewire hub makes using it with a laptop extremely easy, as you can plug in all your peripherals (ipod, camera, phone, printer etc) and by just plugging in one USB you can have it all connected at once.

Quality drive that looks the business and as the speed and data transfer rates to allow me to use it with Final cut if I need it to.

Great piece of kit thats head and shoulders above the other externals I've used.
on 23 August 2008
I bought this to replace my appallingly unreliable Freecom ToughDrive Pro, which I had been using for back-ups. I use an iMac and what attracted me to the MiniMax were the firewire connection and the integrated USB hub. I thought this would be an opportunity to clear some clutter from my desk.

The USB connections, however, can only be used if the drive is connected to your computer via USB, not firewire. Maybe I'm stupid and should have reckoned on this, but the point is that it has a USB hub in limited circumstances only. If you want to use firewire, which is significantly faster than USB, you will still need a separate hub of some kind (the three ports on my iMac are used by the mouse, keyboard, and printer -- needing to use a memory stick frequently, that leaves me one short without a hub).

The drive is a bit too noisy, but not enough to worry me. The 'i' that flickers when the drive is working is no more annoying than masses of other external drives that have some similar thing. Even though is it expressly designed for the Mac Mini, it looks quite fine next to my white iMac.

Final note: if you do not care about firewire or your computer has no firewire ports, you might be able to find a 500 gig USB-only drive for less.
on 17 September 2008
I brought the hard drive from amazon, was very please with the price - especially compared to what it costs in the Apple online store. It looks great underneath my mini mac, and is really fast and quiet.
One word of warning tho, I had recently switched to mac and needed this hard drive to collect my extensive music and photo files from my old pc so they could be used on my new mac. This drive comes pre formatted for use with mac only. Now this isn't a problem if you are buying just to used with mac. Managed to find a solution on Iomegas website on how to format to fat32 for use with pc and mac, but this process took hours! So be warned!.
Once all that was sorted that has turned out to be a great buy.
on 8 August 2009
I bought this a few months back for use with Time Machine on my MacBook (white plastic one). The fact that it comes formatted for Macs out of the box saves a lot of hassle. Setting it up for use with Time Machine was no hassle whatsoever.

The box also contains two Firewire 400 cables - one about a meter long (for most people), and a second very short one, for use when stacking up with a Mac Mini. I expect it came with a USB cable too, but I'm afraid I can't remember, as I don't use USB.

But, the one really cool thing about this drive is that it also acts as a USB and Firewire hub! While I dare say many drives act as a USB hub, the (3 port) Firewire hub is a most welcome addition. Compared to USB hubs, stand-alone Firewire hubs seem to be relatively uncommon, and considerably more expensive. Ok, you don't get many splits, but I dare say most people don't have that many Firewire devices anyway.

I've not really had the drive long enough to comment on long-term reliability, but my purchase was partly influenced by good experiences with other Iomega portable drives, with which I have had no problems.

Yes, the flashing light is a bit annoying, on the front of the box, but I can't say it bothers me that much. And cosmetically it's a pleasing enough lump to sit on your desk. Obviously it's styled to match Macs, and particularly the Minis. So it matches you Mac, and is a good deal cheaper than a Time Capsule (though the two devices are not directly comparable in terms of features).
on 20 January 2009
Let's be clear - this is designed for Macs. You can reformat for PC but I have a Mac (OS 10.5) so can't comment on that!

Plug in power, plug in firewire, switch on. Window asks if you want to use Time Machine to back up. Click yes and that's it. No need for CD, configuration or anything else. Very quiet, looks nice (fits under the screen on my Intel iMac). The light on the front is very bright but that's the only niggle for this brilliant product.
on 1 May 2009
OK, just bought this machine and a brand new mini mac, all arrived may 1st 2009. This beastie is lovely and seems to work fine. it is supplied with a longish firewire cable, not sure what that is for, a very short firewire 6pin to 6 pin connector that looks as though it is designed to plug into the mini mac and a usb connector.

After some confusion i worked out that the mini mac is now supplied with a 9 pin firewire 800 connector only. i do not know if this has just changed but it means the iomega is not supplied with the right cable to connect to a mini mac which is it's natural stable mate.

As a temporary measure i have to connect with the usb connector, but i am guessing the firewire is the preferred method of connecting.

Have I made a cock up, or are iomega supplying the wrong cables?

6 pin to 9 pin connectors by the way seem to be about £10 which is quite a hefty addition to a device that cost less than £80

Andy Watkins
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2008
If you are looking for a no nonsense disk for your mac, then look no further. I have this drive attached to my apple extreme wireless router in my front room. This disk is silent and is a good all-round performer. I have ordered another disk to daisy chain via the firewire interfaces.