5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really good
Published on 28 Sep 2007 by Mighty Jock

1.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent
Published on 26 Sep 2009 by JonnyD75

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really good, 28 Sep 2007
This review is from: Power Traveller Power Monkey - Universal Charger for all Mobile, PDA & iPod, 2200mAh (Electronics)
I work on submarines and so, although we do have some 3 pin sockets, it is very hard to charge ipods etc when i'm away and the sockets are in almost constant use. I take the power monkey (i actually have 2) and from them i am able to charge my ipod, my ipaq 5550 and my nokia (for when we get alogside). It's simply excellent, you require relatively little time on the socket and one charge of the monkey seems to keep all my other bits going for ages. It holds its charge well and is really neat and compact to store (as space is obviously at a premium).

There are several little connectors which come as standard but you only take what you need, I had to buy one for my ipaq which cost 2.50 so little money for the high use i get. It comes with a set of international plug adaptors so you can charge the monkey just about anywhere you happen to pop up.

All in all i would argue that i put the monkey through some pretty hostile use and expect a lot from it and to be fair it delivers.

I would recommend it to anyone and a lot of my friends have started catching on now and are using them too.

Just a really good,practical, no nonsense piece of kit which does exactly what it says it does!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and versatile, 15 April 2007
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent product and I don't understand why it doesn't have a higher profile in the marketplace. Think about how many rechargeable products we carry in today's world, phones, MP3 players, digital cameras and PDAs. Even the best organised person can forget to ensure these sort of products are charged and ready for action all the time. You charge up the Power Monkey using a detachable mains adaptor and you can then connect it to what ever you need to charge whilst on the move. The device is essentially a very compact, lightweight "reserve" power supply which comes with a variety of connectors to fit most products. This is a very useful, well made and versatile product (complete with a small case) and at this price you'd be silly not to carry one. Easy to use and hard to be without - buy it with confidence.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent, 26 Sep 2009
The Powertraveller customer services department is excellent. I should know, I've had so many dealings with them I know them all by name and voice. I bought my Powermonkey V1 in 2007 and I have now been through 4 failed units with the V2 being sent as the latest replacement. Device reliability is not a strong point as a quick search here and through the Net will show.

It does work, however only sporadically. And if you are willing to take the time to fiddle with it over ten minutes, you will eventually be able to charge your device. The functionality with the iPhone 3GS is fickle and I couldn't recommend the V2 if that is your primary device for charging.

Compared to V1, the V2 feels cheap and fragile with poor grade plastics and it would seem many of the rugged comments here relate to the V1, the reviews of which Amazon have pooled.

Finally, do not be tempted as I was by the solar charging option. Even in the glorious sunshine of Italy and France, I have never been able to have more than a third of a charge with a couple of days continuous full sun exposure. You will only be charging this from a mains supply.

4.0 out of 5 stars revolutionary....if there werent so many pieces, 9 Aug 2007
its a great idea, and it works with the things i have (ipod video 80gb, sony ericsson k800i and psp). the battery life is ok...you can fully charge an ipod twice but then you need to charge the powermonkey again. not to worry though, as it comes with all the necessary adapters, so you'll only need to take the power monkey charger with you.

it comes with a little bag but the pieces are very small and the ipod requires the cable that you use to connect it with the computer. i've lost my one for my phone, but this is great as an ipod charger, as no ipod comes with a wall charger.

great product - just a bit fiddly and on the expensive side as well...
8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves higher profile, 2 Sep 2007
Mr. D. Rawcliffe (Lancs UK) - See all my reviews
For those like me, who are a bit of a 'gadget man' this piece of kit is the best thing I've bought in ages! Every time I go away I used to have to take loads of different chargers which was a complete pain. This solves all the problems. Recently went on holiday and it charged my IPOD Nano, PSP, Motorola phone (and the wife's Nokia). Also powered my Sony Camera. In the pack itself there are loads of attachments - although check website first as some you may need to buy.

Has plenty of power and therefore you don't need to keep charging the monkey itself.

If you want to save carrying all your chargers around this is a godsend - even if you only had say a PSP I would still buy. The monkey itself is extremely compact and easily portable.

Great buy!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good ... quality could be improved though, 29 Aug 2007
Nick Flynn "NickF" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It works fine with our SE and Motorola phones ... Garmin sat nav and Ipod ... and if I jam it in really hard ... with my AXIM too!

I'm not sure that the quality of the tips are that brilliant, but at the end of the day, it has proved invaluable many times over!

Worth the cash ... yep! ... but would have paid a quid or two more to have better quality tips though!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Power Monkey -compatabilty, 12 Jun 2009
CWHughes - See all my reviews
I was a little disappointed with this item as its quite clearly states it is a Universal Charger for all mobiles etc - I accepted that it would be necessary to buy extra adaptors depending which devices you wanted to charge - but the Power Monkey site gives mis-leading information - I wanted to use it for a Sharp mobile and a TomTom sat nav - neither of the adaptors suggested in their 'compatabilty chart' fitted - I did get it to work with the TomTom by using the included USB adaptor but had to use it in conjunction with the TomTom's own cable - so far no luck with the Sharp mobile which means the two adaptors I purchased were a waste of money - I have suggested to Power Monkey that they stop giving misleading information regards compatability but so far no response

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasons to be cheerful, 29 Jun 2007
Flaco "flacolito" (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Agree totally with Paul Madge; can't understand why this great little product doesn't have a higher profile, because it deserves it. A seriously useful piece of kit that is well worth carrying with you. You charge it up from the mains and it has 4 interchangeable plugs to facilitate this: UK 3-pin, international 2-pin round, 2-prong straight and 2-prong angled (V shape). There are 9 output connectors/adaptors, some of which I don't recognise and can't name, but I confirm that crucially these include standard size USB male and female, and a mini USB which fits my Motorola V3i and Olympus FE230. Note that you will not be able to charge all mobiles with the included adaptors, but it is worth checking with Power Monkey suppliers for additional adaptors which they can supply for other mobiles and PDAs. At the end of June 2007 the new model will be available which includes a visible charge meter and a solar slave, meaning that you'll also be able to charge it up outdoors. My only gripe with this unit is that there is no switch lock to stop you from inadvertently switching it on, but the switch itself is quite stiff, so there is a reduced likelihood of this happening. Have mobile gadgets? - get one.

1.0 out of 5 stars All mobile phones? - No!!, 8 Jun 2011
David Appleby - See all my reviews
I've seen a number of adverts for this & an HTC is often pictured. The HTC desire is a very popular phone. Is there an adapter for it? No! How irritating! I was hoping to just have the adapter, now I guess I have to use the USB and my normal lead. The whole point of buying this was to have a minimal amount of cable. Amazon sell a retractable lead but no simple adapter - Arrrrgggghhhhhhh!

5.0 out of 5 stars PowerMonkey, 17 Sep 2008
T. Mew - See all my reviews
This little beauty turned up about 2 weeks ago and i must say Iam really chuffed with it! I was looking for something that would charge my ipod and sony erricson phone on the move as I am barely at home or near a mains socket! The power monkey fits the bill perfectly and works really well. i was amazed how long its lasts before having to re-charge it and it comes with every adpater under the sun! You can even charge it via USB! Point to note: it says on the box that and the ipod USB lead (the lead that comes with the ipod) is required to charge an ipod but i used an adapter included in the box that looks like one and it works perfectly! Powertraveler who make the Powermonkey were very helpfull when i contacted them about there product and were very quick to reply to my questions. I am thinking about buying there travel speakers as they look great too! Well done Powertraveler!

I hope this review was helpfull.