Guys, gals, you have GOT to get this CD, I have always liked Nina, she has such a sultry voice, it makes you want to curl up on a bed with black silk sheets, drink champagne and eat strawberries whilst you listen to this magical artist belt out all her amazing songs.

Published on 7 July 2006 by Kali

3.0 out of 5 stars No liner notes, writing credits or release dates
Published on 6 Feb 2009 by Mad Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Even after so many years she is still young, gifted and Black, 7 July 2006

This CD contains most of Ms Simone's best music from over the years, and you are treated to such musical wonders as "Feeling Good", the funky and toe tapping "My Baby Just Cares For Me" and the thought provoking "To Be Young Gifted and Black."

I only wish the CD included the troubled and haunting melody "Strange Fruit", in this throatily sung song Nina told the world in allegory about the lynching of Black men, and who can forget those heartfelt lyrics as she cries out to a seemingly uncaring nation, "Strange fruit hangin' from the poplar trees..."

Quite simply the best, like Nina herself.

1. Ain't Got No... I Got Life

13. Since I Fell For You

14. Nobody's Fault But Mine

15. I Think It's Going To Rain Today

16. Sinnerman

17. Times They Are A Changin'

18. Mr Bojangles

19. Here Comes The Sun

20. To Love Somebody

4.0 out of 5 stars Ain't Got No, I Got... a Corner Crunch?, 17 Aug 2006
possessed.by.a.lemon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
As far as CDs released to cash-in on a television commercial for a yogurt company go, this is unquestionably one of the best, but you can find other, more extensive, Nina Simone compilations available much cheaper. Here you get no liner notes in the booklet, just half the songs found on superior collections and a Müller sticker on the jewel case.

What you won't get on other compilations is that GrooveFinder remix as featured in the Müller ad, but in being a 'very best of' you're also missing out on some of the tracks you won't have heard zillions of times before. Fair play, though, 99% of listeners will still enjoy this CD from start to finish. The music contained within is even sweeter than a Müller Amoré Walnut & Greek Honey Luxury Yogurt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real, 17 July 2006
I've always suspected that I was going to love Nina Simone. I'm only sorry that it has taken me so long, and a 'best of' to discover her. I've loved so many of the songs on this collection and it was just magical listening to this the first time - all the more so because I know that this one is going to be a favourite. It's a great mix for a first introduction - many will no doubt go on to discover her more intimate side - this lady has got soul.

A have to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 21 May 2006
I bought mainly because it had Sinnerman on it from Life on Mars but just about every track is a classic that seems to have been covered by lots of other singers although none are a patch on these. Its hard to single out any particular songs but the first 4 tracks/Sinnerman and Mr Bojangles are just amazing - perfect chill out music for a bbq or while having a romantic meal!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Album, 2 Jun 2006
I originally bought this album for 'Sinnerman' from the Thomas Crown affair soundtrack but was soon listening to the rest of it too. The first four tracks are fantastic, as are Mr. Bojangles and Sinnerman but all the tracks on this album are great. Truly a fantastic album, one of the best I've bought for a long time. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start, 27 Aug 2007
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a great album to start if you're new to Nina Simone. It provides a good selection of her music and shows how eclectic she could be. Her voice is amazingly smooth and will give you goosebumps. Perfect for late at night and those times when you want to kick back and chill out. There are some tracks missing which I'd say were essential Nina, but for a first dip into her music you could do a lot worse than this fine collection.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

3.0 out of 5 stars No liner notes, writing credits or release dates, 6 Feb 2009
A decent overview of her career- it's cheap and cheerful in that regard. If you just want a basic set of the songs you probably already know, this will do. If you have any other interest, such as her jazz-soul records like Brown-Eyed Handsome Man or I'm leaving then look elsewhere. This is apparently part of Sony's musicmadesimple range; no I hadn't heard of it either, but wish that I had before I wasted £3 of my money on this cd. You get a flimsy card with a pullout that houses the cd, meaning that multiple listenings will scratch the cd to bits. If you want any kind of liner notes you will be disappointed. You don't get any thing telling you about these recordings. And I mean anything- it's the song titles and nothing else at all. Even though I'm pretty sure there are laws about not including song-writing credits, Sony couldn't be bothered. Although the music clearly spans a few decades, you aren't told when these songs were recorded or even when they were released. The back of the cd directs you to the musicmadesimple website for full album credits. Give it a try before you buy- I looked on the website and this album was nowhere to be found. Maybe they were there when the album was released, but it isn't there anymore. So you've got a cheap, shoddy little album that is probably the worst packaged cd I have ever come across. And for some reason they've included a remix version of Ain't Got No, I got Life. That one's going to look just as silly as the Blue duet with Stevie Wonder that turned up on his Definitive Collection a few years ago (that's if it doesn't already- I don't have any recollection of the song being on a Muller advert, but if that's what people are using to help identify their musical purchases then it really is quite amusing.) As for the music, it's some of the great music of the 50's and 60's. Just a shame that it's quite uneven and captures so many distinct points in her career. I only got this to flesh out the non-Phillips recordings which I never used to have much interest in. A message to Sony- and this music made simple division they have set up(which to me means cheaply produced tat)- if it ain't broke don't fix it. Everyone's getting by quite easily by putting cd's into cases and printing some of the details about the music that most listeners might be interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check out the Songwriting Credentials, 15 Jun 2006
George Harrison, Bob Dylan, George Gershwin.

The songs these guys have written are not just great songs in their own right but Nina creates an equally enthralling take on these songs and makes them her own.

Need I say more about Sinnerman. Timeless. Her voice is sooo good but equally the musicianship.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Introduction, 10 Mar 2011
Sentinel (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a decent introduction to the lighter side of Nina Simone, especially useful for anyone coming to her music for the first time. Many of her classics are here, from 'Ain't Got No, I Got Life', the warmly sexy 'Feeling Good', the majestic 'I put a Spell on You', the resigned 'Do What You Gotta Do', and the wearily defeated 'Nobody's Fault But Mine', and her storming version of 'Sinnerman'. However, there are some strange inclusions for a 'Very Best' collection: her versions of 'Here Comes the Sun' and 'I Think Its Going To Rain Today' are very disappointing, as she misses the magic of the orginals by a long way; in fact the latter song seems wilfully perverse, with both melody and lyrics simply thrown away. Ironical then, that she should also deliver a hauntingly successful version of 'Mr Bojangles'. So: only four stars because of the poor cover versions, and the absence of any grittier/bluesy material, but still an enjoyable collection. If you like this, an inexpensive option is to discover her tougher, bluesier side, and her live qualities on a double album of studio and live performances in Songs to Sing: the Best of Nina Simone

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 April 2007
Bookworm (Carlow, Irealnd) - See all my reviews
A fabulous example of the brilliant vocal gymnist that is Nina Simone. Accompanied by some marvellous piano, she brings to life her gift and her incredible improvisation piano solos, particularly in "My Baby just Cares for Me".

This CD is certainly a magnificent piece of work, an if your'e a first time listener to Nina Simone, or an all-time fan, this album is surely going to either spurge off a love for her or to merely extent your knowledge of her musical genius.

C Maguire Age:13