5.0 out of 5 stars Ssh - keep the secret!
I have to admit that I'd never heard of Dreadzone before the Cropredy Festival 2009 (which they were the highlight of). Nor was I likely to, as they are distinctively Reggae & I'm more of an Indie kid. However, I saw them live and was blown away - MC Spee was on top form (even though he was singing from a wheelchair for the whole performance!)

It is easy to see...
Published on 26 Sep 2009 by Magic Lemur

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadfull
This is very poor. A pub band who would be great if you'd had a few jars and maybe dropped a pill. The audience were having a great night out, but as a a piece of music,take my advice and spend your money on something that sounds good on your hi-fi straight, not lashed in the boozer.
Published on 20 Mar 2008 by DiscoJon

5.0 out of 5 stars Ssh - keep the secret!, 26 Sep 2009
Magic Lemur (Somewhere in Madagascar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dreadzone Live at Sunrise (Audio CD)

It is easy to see how an alternative band with a fairly moderate selection of tunes, have become good enough to open the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury (back in the early 90's) & be a favourite of John Peel - it is because they translate so well live!

And this CD succeeds where many live albums / DVDs fail: in its bottling the essence of their live shows. The playfulness of 'when I say Dread, you say Zone...' & the simple one word intro to Captain Dread ('Ahoy!!!') really comes across well on the CD as somehow unique to the band's ethos. Furthermore, the raw reggae beats & 'Old Skool bass lines' make you feel like stopping your car, getting out & starting a street party!

To add to this, I found something odd when I came to search up the tracks on my IPod - the regular tracks don't sound half as good in the studio. Songs like Little Britain & especially Captain Dread sound too full of noises on the albums, which makes them perfect for the raw translation they get on stage. It's like that 'Bill Bailey U2 Malfunction' skit (where the amps go off & he turns out to be playing 'Jingle all the way'!) although this is the opposite - the sound is simpler, more potent & more catchy.

My one criticism of this album is that the tracks seem a fairly random bunch & there are a few that miss the mark or go on too long. As an error though, I feel it is minor since there is something in the music that manifests itself throughout the album, which can't quite be explained.

So, if you've seen these guys live & bought this CD spur-of-the-moment like I did, then you have started well. The only other thing to do is make sure you keep it secret. Don't get me wrong - Dreadzone were fully deserving of John Peel's acclamation, it's just that that is the very reason they are so special - as a sort of ariadnes thread for Leftfield etc that only a few privileged festival-goers know of. Rather like the psychology game the Cube (Cube: Keep the Secret) - once you know its secrets you should treasure them...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Band @ Best Festial, 18 Dec 2006
Mika Saha "Mik" (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreadzone Live at Sunrise (Audio CD)
I was at the gig live & as long as you like Dreadzone you'll love this album. Classic tunes old & new & they even get Steve Hillage (GONG) on stage with them for a little number!

You won't regret this purchase & definately an album to get your feet jigging! Perfect just before going out or just crank up the speakers at home & feel the deep dub base lines melt you into a floaty, funky, breakbeat, bouncy frenzy

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadfull, 20 Mar 2008

Dreadzone Live at Sunrise
Dreadzone Live at Sunrise by Dreadzone (Audio CD - 2006)
Click for more info