4.0 out of 5 stars Buoyant
Published on 23 July 2010 by Irwin Winterchest

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better...
This film has been widely condemned and ridiculed, somewhat unfairly in my opinion. Theres a great many worse films around, although thats no excuse in itself. But Night has set the bar high with his previous work so that this film pales compared with his previous work. Thats not to say its a bad film, just dissappointing considering the talent of who made it...
Published on 6 Jun 2007 by J. Eastick

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better..., 6 Jun 2007
J. Eastick (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews

The story isn't particularly well-structured and lots of things aren't explained properly and certain themes aren't developed. The story itself is something of a cross between a childrens tale and a redemption story, and trying to be both it doesn't quite do justice to either. To appreciate it you need to suspend your disbelief, and even after that you need to take a leap into believing the entire premise in the first place. However it has been touted as a children's bedtime story and in a touching way its reminiscent of the kind of tales you hear as a child.

All that aside, its a well made film, well-acted and has a wonderful score from James Newton Howard which really adds an emotive feel to the tale. Some of the characters are interesting, some not and some aren't developed enough for us to know (or even care), Paul Giamatti's 'Cleveland' is a nice sympathetic but tragic character and Bryce Dallas Howard is a charming, enigmatic and always pasty sea-nymph. Night casts himself in a major role this time rather than just his usual brief cameos, he does ok but the role he plays may leave you with questions of the man's ego.

Not a film for the constantly cynical amongst us, it is in fact a sentimental tale with a postively redeeming story to it. A good family film perhaps?

4.0 out of 5 stars Buoyant, 23 July 2010
Shyamalan has done for the fantasy / fairy tale what he did for superheros, ghosts and bogeymen in the woods. Kill them stone dead or re-invent them brilliantly and uniquely, depending on what you think of Shyamalan's style. Personally, I agree with brilliant and unique. Squeezing a fantasy world into one Pennsylvania apartment block populated with a menagerie of oddballs, and using that world to show a man coming to terms with grief and loss creates a bizarrely moving experience. The only misstep is the infamous critic mauling, as really this could be taken out of film without being missed and feels like a personal axe being excessively ground. But what the hell, critics get on my nerves too. And Shyamalan casting himself as the messiah? Works for me. His presence and, shall we say, restrained acting style is the icing on the weird cake. And the wonderful Paul Giamatti excels as Cleveland Heep, fighting to make sense of both his past and his narf populated present.

The simplicity of the story and its use of humour avoid it becoming the toe-curlingly pretentious work it could have been. This is Heep's journey through a strange fantasy world where he is eventually able to realize and release his grief. It is a journey the film documents admirably.

4.0 out of 5 stars Water load of ....... entertainment., 12 Dec 2011
Mr. K. A. Mitchell (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Lady in the Water was a film I missed when it came to the cinema. Despite being a huge fan M Night the synopsis didn't inspire me, I'm not really into fairy tales and to me, the plot sounded nonsense. I eventually came across the movie again while browsing Amazon and decided what the heck, give it a go! To be honest I was surprised and enjoyed it immensely. To be fair its not a classic like Sixth Sense or as good as Unbreakable or Signs but to me it was very well acted and wove an intriguing plot that kept me glued right to the end.
I wont go over the story but Paul Giamatti is a wonderful and diverse actor who's character you really care for as he attempts to protect the equally talented Bryce Dallas Howard from invisible supernatural wolf like creatures. M Night also makes an appearance as a side character that is much more significant than his usual cameos. His appearance augments the portfolio of interesting quirky characters that constitute the local community that exist around the communal swimming pool Giamatti cares for. Its vastly interesting and entertaining how the somewhat isolated residents of the flats are drawn together and united as a community with the common goal of protecting Bryce's character.
The type of story and characterisation of the film reminded me of some of Steven King's best books, for example It. By this I don't mean that M Night is ripping off Steven King but the way he develops the characters who unite to help protect the Lady in the Water is carried in out in a simlarly intriguing fashion. None of the characters are super heroes, they all have their own faults and quirks and this is what mmakes the film so interesting.
As with many of M Nights other films they are, in places, humourous, exciting and touching. I would definitely recommend to fans of M Night or viewers who aren't looking for an action and can suspend their belief. If you can do that then consider this movie 4 stars. If you haven't enjoyed M Night's previous films then subtract 2 stars and avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great mix of fairytale meets signs, 25 Dec 2006
D. Keenan "David Keenan" (Ipswich) - See all my reviews
I saw this film a while ago, and am a huge fan of all of M Night's work including signs, unbreakable etc. The film is really different and completely unpredictable. Its a great blend of a fairytale story and a supenseful film all in one as the main character bryce dallas is stalked by a beast that is like a hyena/wolf and can dissapear within the ground and she has to return to the sea before her time is up. I cant explain the story of the film but its a definate must see for all ages! Im buying this when its out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 3 May 2007
R. Lander Stow (Ivybridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wasn't really looking forward to this film due to some of the reviews that I read here, but after watching it I have to say I really enjoyed it.

It brings an old fairy tale to life and is purely a work of fantasy, it's very different from M Night Shyamalan's other films. Yes it is far fetched and wouldn't happen in real life, it is fantasy after all, but if you just go with it it's easy enough to be sucked in and have a great time.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good fantasy film, although it isn't very fast paced, it is very intriguing with a great ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars please do not make the same mistake i did, 14 April 2007
I spent [...] to rent this film off cable.
I watch a lot of films and I am always willing to give them a go. I thought the village was nonsense but in no way did it prepare me for this rubbish.
It's just total and utter nonsense. It seems like he must have made it up as he went along.
It's so incredibly boring and there is so little depth to any of the characters that you will find yourself not caring at all.
I watched this for over an hour and then just turned it off because I couldn't put myself through anymore of it.
Don't waste your time.

1.0 out of 5 stars It just didn't cut it, 20 July 2008
I was so so so disappointed with this film, having put it aside for a long time because I imagined ti would be so good. However I was totally wrong and am almost embarassed that a fil this bad could be from one of the better directors out there. The storyline is weak, unrealistic (when I say unrealistic i do not mean because it features a mythical being, rather that the plot does not do it justice in the way I would imagine it to)and I was not at all impressed by the acting. In fact I fell asleep in the middle and had to watch it in two parts to see the whole thing. If you want to see some of the master's true genius watch Signs, or anything but this, it will put you to sleep and it's going straight to Oxfam.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst movies of all time., 23 July 2013
Brett_Bloom (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
M. Night Shyamalan's 'Lady In The Water' has to be one of the worst movies ever made. Unlike many other people, I am still a fan of Shyamalan. And I really wanted to find aspects of this film that are positive. Unfortunately, I regret wasting my time and money. 'Lady In The Water' is a great cautionary tale for all artists who have a poor censorship software in their brains. This is a screenplay that should have gone to Night's recycling bin.

1.0 out of 5 stars HD DVD, 27 Feb 2013
Quality of the transfer fine - picture and sound.
But a woeful film. Probably ok as a childrens book but as an adult film is silly pretentious unengaging twaddle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forgettable fantasy fluff, 27 Sep 2012
This modern fairy-tale is a slight and insubstantial offering and was widely perceived as M.Night Shyamalan's weakest offering, (before he released The Last Airbender [DVD] of course...) Despite a robust cast including the ever reliable Paul Giamatti and Bryce Dallas Howard, the film struggles to come to life, and doesn't contain enough genuine scares or intrigue to sustain interest for very long.
Shyamalan is known for making fleeting cameos in his own movies, but this time he assigns himself quite a big part - sadly this only serves to weaken the film further, and the end result is a fragmented mess with little to recommend it other than the performances of Giamatti and Howard, plus Shyamalan's usual lushly-textured cinematography.

Lady in the Water [HD DVD] [2006] [US Import]
Lady in the Water [HD DVD] [2006] [US Import] by M. Night Shyamalan (HD DVD - 2006)
13.84