Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on 22 July 2013
What's the concept behind that? That a big man who was traumatized as a child since his mother was was a slut, automatically becomes a twisted maniac killer? Very american indeed!
Apart from that, what's left is some really disturbing, morbid and nightmarish moments, which effectively visualize the killer's mind, but do not add anything to this sub-genre to make it so special and worth watching, unless you really want to feel unconfortable.
Nothing compared to twisted minds in Lynch's or Argento's best films, where intimate horror is much more complex and rich.
This is like Lynch's abstract violence meeting Lucio Fulci's roughness.
Probably someone might like it
on 29 January 2016
Waited 10 weeks for this to arrive from America. The picture quality is awful. I've only given it 2 stars because of the great FX work by The master Tom Savini
on 30 June 2011
Ok, just got maniac on blu-ray. I'm not going to go over the plot suffice to say its a great little movie unfairly banned in this country and certainly worth watching.

Not on blu-ray though.

THe image is far too soft and far too bright. Scenes look vague and blurry, worst offender being the scene of tom savini's character leaving the club with his girl. Perhaps its the print?

Nope, I put on the anchor bay us version Maniac [DVD] [1980] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] that came in the tin to compare.

The dvd looks better.

Not sure how Bill lustigs company can take bill lustigs film and screw the thing so badly but the picture quality on this blu ray is WORSE than the old dvd release on upscale.

The extras are good, but the picture quality is terrible. Only buy this for the bonus features.
on 2 October 2004
This film has a lot of good reviews, which is what prompted me to rent this movie. Supposedly ultra-gory and with a great psychological perspective, I was really looking forward to watching this movie, but I hated it!!! I don't know if its to do with age, perhaps that this film just simply doesn't cut it for people of my generation, or if its just me, but I found the movie slow, boring, the gore to be a joke, the lead actor as irritating, and all in all about as scary as an episode of the teletubbies!
The main character, the "maniac" is this guy who stalks young woman and kills them, removes their scalps and takes them home with him so he can attach them to the many mannequins he has in his room. Lovely. However, although this sounds nice and gory, the special effects are so fake that I just spent those scenes laughing. I actually wasn't even sure for a minute or so whether or not the mannequins were actually supposed to be the bodies of his victims...I mean, the other special effects and props were so fake it was hard to tell for a while! Oops. You should see the "scalps" he takes home, they look like the kind of wigs you would fund in a child's dressing up box or in a cheap joke shop. Please! I mean I know it was the 80's, but there were better things at the filmakers' disposal than that! I really wonder whether or not the director is just having a joke!
I found the characters in this movie to be superbly annoying, the serial killer is very gross to look at, I know its shallow but I expect a little eye-candy in my cheap, sleazy horror flicks! But that aside he is also quite amusing. Its funny to see him going from totally crazy, rocking back and forth muttering incoherent dribble, to this suave, charming, artsy type when he is trying to win over the affections and trust of a young photographer woman. This young photographer is who I find to be most annoying though, I mean she doesn't think it's strange that a complete stranger just turns up on her doorstep proclaiming "you took a picture of me in the park. Can I come in?" Doesn't she wonder how the hell he found her address? What he wants from her, a total stranger? No, of course not, she invites him in and then agrees to go on a date with him.
Yes, that's the worst thing about the whole movie, not the fact that the special effects are really lame or most of the acting is rubbish, but the fact that the plot makes absolutely no sense at all! How anyone gets "a psychological insight into the mind of a serial killer" from "Maniac" is beyond me. It just seems like a bunch of random, idiotic scenes all jumbled together and topped off with the most spectacularly implausible and moronic ending of all.
But this is one of those films that's so bad it's actually quite good, and so if you feel like a laugh with your friends then I would recommend this film for you! It would also serve well in a drinking game. But if you are looking to be scared then look elsewhere. Also there are some slow points which you might want to skip through, such as the photography session scene. Although the music to that scene is pretty damn funny.