5.0 out of 5 stars Who said white men can't sing the blues?
I too caught Seasick Steve on Jools Holland's Hootenanny, and couldn't believe what I was hearing. Steve Wold (real name), out playing every other artist there, with his three string guitar.

When I found out his CD was out, I bought it straight away.

Published on 5 Feb. 2007 by M. Hamer

3.0 out of 5 stars cd
it would seem that i dont like all tracks by seasick steve to the same extent but at least i tried
Published on 4 Mar. 2013 by david francis

5.0 out of 5 stars Who said white men can't sing the blues?, 5 Feb. 2007
M. Hamer (Tamworth, Staffs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)

When I found out his CD was out, I bought it straight away.

If you didn't know any better, you'd believe you were listening to an old Sonhouse album or early John Lee Hooker. You can just imagine Steve recording this album in one take, sitting there in a room with nothing but a beat up guitar, and a bottle of Bourban.

If you're a true fan of Delta Blues you will love this album. Its raw, refreshing, and as authentic as Mississippi mud.

You can only do yourself a massive favour by adding this to your CD collection. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 9 Jun. 2007
C. Simpson "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
As per many other reviews I first saw Steve on Jools Holland's New Year show, I bought both of his albums on the basis of his performance and have not been disappointed. Currently both of these records occupy the most listened to place within my album collection and if you have even a passing interest in the blues I strongly recommend that you take the plunge. I will certainly endeavour to see him live, an experience which I am sure will be even better than that of the CD. As other commentators have testified what a refreshing change to hear raw, emotive talent at its very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seasick Steve, 24 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
First seen this guy on the Jools Holland "Hoot a Nanny" show and was blown away by this guys authentic & authoritive delivery of the blues. I ordered his CD and the content did not disapoint. Seasick Steve has lived the blues in the old tradition. His blues is raw and he is the real deal. The album's content ranges from humour through to the fringes of the darker side of life. His Mississippi roots shine through each and every song. This is just one guy, his voice, his guitars, stomp box and other percusion throughout...... no others just him. A first class delivery of electric and accoustic slide guitar; his one guitar has only 3 strings on it, he also treats you to a rendition on the Didley Bow. An awesome piece of music and highly recomended to all blues fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bare Bones Blues - Totally Invigorating., 11 April 2007
Mr. S. Shotliff (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
Yep, I too saw this guy on the Jooles Holland show.. totally into it & even awe-inspired. On top of the energetic passion and love for electric blues guitar is a simple, raw, real music.. with lots of fun. Aswell as honest lyrics, every tracks got something refreshing about it, what a journey this albums been for me. He deserves much more of our loose change does this mississipi delta bluesman. Not suprised in the slightest by the success this album is having, worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars The real low-down blues re-invented for the 21st Century, 17 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
Seasick Steve is the best, and, in a lot ways, the most authentic bluesman currently operating. Apparently he spent many years hoboing and hopping freights in the 1960s, and then started playing with many of the blues greats, including Son House, John Lee Hooker and Lightnin' Hopkins. He then re-emerged as part of the grunge scene in the '90s, producing and playing with Modest Mouse, Calvin Johnson and Bikini Kill amongst many others. Pretty amazing life story, huh?! Now he's back playing the blues. His first album, Cheap was recorded with the excellent Level Devils. Now he's solo and it's still mighty soulful, gutbucket stuff, with a punky attack on the lot of the numbers (My Donny,Yellow Dog), but also some pretty profound delicacy on other tracks (Salem Blues, Shirly Lou, I'm Gone). His live gigs are joyously fervent affairs akin to a revivalist prayer meeting, but without all the god-nonsense. Buy this album and attend one of the Rev. Steve's preaching sessions.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 23 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
This album has been recommended for some time by Mojo magazine (I think it won their 'Best Newcomer' award, or something similar, in 2006. Steve is apparently in his 60s), so I thought I'd give it a go. I don't know much about the blues (even though my woman don' left me and my dog ran off with my best friend), but I do know that this is good stuff. Many of the tracks are very raw and all the better for that. Well worth your hard-earned cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three string Wonder, 16 May 2007
jbezzo "jbezzo" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
If Seasick Steve didn't exist you couldn't make him up. He's a walking cliche of everything you expect a bluesman to be; a hard-travelin', rail-ridin' hobo who produces blues as raw as a quart of Mississippi moonshine. Dog House Music is proof that the blues can be stripped to it's barest form yet retain every ounce of it's feeling. Even more remarkable is that Steve's stories are told with only the stomping of his foot on a metal box AKA the Mussissippi Drum Machine, and an electric three string guitar. His playing reaches back to the dawn of the blues and the hynotic, droning guitar style pays tribute to John lee Hooker, Son House, RL Burnside, Junior Kimborough and even Blind Willie Johnson, who set the Lord's Word to the Devil's music. Buy this album, you'll not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three String Wonder, 26 Jan. 2007
N. P. Greensitt (Salford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
Ever wondered what a three string guitar or a diddly bow sound like? Wonder no more, Seasick Steve has arrived and lets you know in no uncertain terms. The music on this album reminds me of some of the greats of the Blues; John Lee Hooker, R L Burnside and Canned Heat. I don't think I have ever heard a white blues artist sound quite like this, he is not the usual white man singing the blues. Here is a white man who quite obviously, through his lyrics, lived the blues. Yellow Dog, after a short intro moves into an even shorter thrash and to me is reminiscent of early electric blues. Following this is the Mississippi country style Things Go Up, then comes the three string guitar piece Cut My Wings, how Steve does it I don't know, but it is pure heaven to listen to. Fallen Off A Rock tells of a life hoboing, which has a surprise ending very reminiscent to me of my hero R L Burnside. Dog House Boogie, you've guessed it a boogie al la John Lee Hooker via Canned Heat, introducing yet another blues style. Steve then introduces the one string diddly bow, "I got me here the one string diddly bow", on a simple song Save Me it make fascinating listening and is in my opinion one of the highlights of the album. On and on I could go but I think you should discover Seasick Steve for yourselves. Once every decade or so someone is (re)discovered, the late 70's/80's brought the Wonderful Ted Hawkins, then followed Kent DuChaine and the 90's brought the late great R L Burnside, who transcended many musical barriers, to world wide attention. It is now Seasick Steve's turn and justly so in my view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to resist, 18 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
It's impossible to resist the charm, the good-time despite the bad-time, the songwriting style and sheer sing-along-ability of Seasick Steve. I'm a pretty casual blues fan, a bit of Stevie Ray Vaughan here, a bit of Muddy Waters there, but I've become a big fan of Seasick, live and on record. Like Talentless Joe says, his gigs are the best fun, like some odd kind of revival meeting: he gets everyone to sing the chorus of a bunch of songs - even me - and I NEVER sing along or put my hands up or any of that stuff. On record is second best to live, but this is a fine disc nonetheless, with two of Steve's very best songs ("Things go up", "Fallen off a rock"). I would also hugely recommend Steve's earlier, electric album, "Cheap", which will hopefully become available on Amazon before long. And make sure to take a look at Seasick on YouTube, where you can watch his wonderful performance on Jools Holland's New Year Hootenany, playing slide for all its worth on a battered, junk-store three-string (yes, three-string) guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars hobo low..., 3 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
I also seen Steve on the Jools Holland show and within 3 or 4 chords i was hooked, at last proper to the teeth music played from the heart.

Steve likes to tell you his story hence the secret track after track 13 "im Gone"

i had the pleasure of witnissing him live in Liverpool recently....Awesome absolutly awesome if you get the chance to witness this lyrical wizard do it!

Doghouse Music
Doghouse Music by Seasick Steve (Audio CD - 2007)
Click for more info