on 26 March 2015
To be honest, this torch was never really going to be great as it's so cheap, but I took a punt on it. I actually bought it to check for spots in the house that the cat might have sprayed in. For this job it was far too dim. I actually crawled on my hands and knees with the torch centimetres away from the wall and it still didn't work very well. I'm sure for checking bank notes it's probably fine but for checking for cat pee it's no good at all.
I've since purchased a brilliant UV torch from 'Pets at Home' which does the job really well. If you're looking for a UV torch to check for pet spray I suggest paying a little more. I paid £12 which I think is a bargain.
on 11 June 2014
Actually, it isn't nice at all. The "manual" (for want of a better word) is useless - for example, its instructions on fitting the batteries are .... "Install the batteries", with no clue where or how. The on/off switch simply slides left or right for torch or UV light, without any retention either way or centrally. But the worst thing is the output from the UV light is so small that the lamp needs to be held touching the article that has the marking, and preferably in a dark place. All in all, it is what it is, cheap and cheerful (but not much cheer).
on 6 October 2010
Good quality UV beam, short range only. Provides excellent quality beam, but you need to hold it close or have a darkened environment for best results. I recommend the 14/21 (soemthing like that) UV handheld torch instead.
on 3 October 2011
I really can't fault this for a cheap blacklight. It seems to work very well and is sturdy enough. Worth noting that it takes 4 AA batteries which are not included. Torch function on it too :)
on 16 April 2011
the one i recieved is slightly different from the three pictured but never the less it works perfectly, very straight forward on/off slider switch, takes AA batteries and it's also a torch. i like it.
on 27 July 2013
Yes, I'm a cat owner and I bought this to find where they'd been secretly 'marking'. The little beggars had been driving me crazy, no matter hiow hard I cleaned, I could still smell it. Rather than go insane, I bought this.

It finds all the tiny little places you missed, for a start and that makes a real difference. It does work for finding urine, but some surfaces work much better than others. eg a harder surface is perfect for it, whereas it's less effective on softer areas. Also, it does have to be good and dark to show you everything, especially on lighter material.

The reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that battery life hasn't been great and also, it finds wallpaper paste too...which did make life difficult as I was manically scrubbing the walls before I realised!

Definitely worth buying.
Arrived securely packed in three days. My initial impressions were that this little UV light was quite cheap and plasticky. In particular, the three-way Torch/Off/UV switch has a rather sloppy action and is not always easy to set to the desired position. But, fair's fair; this IS a very cheap device and the bottom line is that it works. After inserting the 4 x AA batteries, being careful to observe polarity, I switched on and the mini UV tube fired instantly into life. It's not the brightest but, in a fairly dark room, it is very effective. I used it to check which corners a cat had been using for a toilet and, yes the parfum de chat does fluoresce under this light - provided you hold the lamp within a couple of feet of the affected surface. Obviously, if you're using this to check the authenticity of banknotes, you'll need to pass the light over them even closer, and again this works very well - I never knew the 10 in a £10 note could look so colourful!

You obviously can't expect great quality at this bargain basement price, but for a very modest outlay, with postage included, it's hard to fault this effective little UV light.
on 22 September 2012
Do not buy this item, last me about 5mins then the bulb went and the whole thing fell to pieces.. Waste of money!
on 15 July 2014
I'm not too sure about this one. The torch light's quite good and helped me out on more than one occasion. My cat's had a urinary problem, maybe it's just me but I was expecting where he was peeing to light up like a Christmas tree. Otherwise maybe I'm just that awesome at cleaning I got every nook and cranny running blind before the black light arrived. Otherwise it's quite a good little torch.
If you have a business which handles cash, or you need to view legal documents such as passports, you can't afford to be without one of these. This brilliant little device helps detect forged banknotes and other legal UV-marked documents. It's so cheap it will easily pay for itself on its first day in use.

It's simple to use right out of the box, needing only AA batteries to be instantly operational. There is a small flip-down stand to enable it to sit at an angle on a desk top, a wrist cord like a compact camera, and besides its UV function it can also be used as a small conventional torch.

The only caution is because it is a small portable device the UV is not very powerful in full daylight. It will illuminate the UV script on a bank note easily in daylight, but for other UV-marked documents (like a driving licence for example) it works better in lowered ambient light conditions.