2,878 of 2,905 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very good if you need to write on paper
Published on 7 Mar 2007 by M. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Left handers beware...
Worked fine with my right hand, but when I came to use my left hand my writing came out looking like the work of a complete imbecile. I can only assume Bic have created a right-handed only pen, and would caution left-handers to "try before you buy".
Published on 22 Jan 2008 by Disappointed user

2,878 of 2,905 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very good if you need to write on paper, 7 Mar 2007
M. Williams "Matt Williams" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bic Crystal Ballpoint Pen, Medium Point, Black (Office Product)
Since taking delivery of my pen I have been very happy with the quality of ink deposition on the various types of paper that I have used. On the first day when I excitedly unwrapped my pen (thanks for the high quality packaging Amazon!) I just couldn't contain my excitement and went around finding things to write on, like the shopping list on the notice board in our kitchen, the Post-it notes next to the phone, and on my favourite lined A4 pad at the side of my desk.

My pen is the transparent type with a blue lid. I selected this one in preference to the orange type because I like to be able to see how much ink I have left so that I can put in another order before I finally run out.

When the initial excitement of taking delivery of my new pen started to wear off I realised that I shouldn't just write for the fun of it, this should be a serious enterprise, so by the second day of ownership I started to take a little more care of what I wrote. I used it to sign three letters, and in each case was perfectly happy with the neatness of handwriting that I was able to achieve.

I have a helpful tip for you that you might not know about - if you let the ink dry for a few seconds you can avoid the smudging that sometimes happens if you rub the ink immediately after writing. Fortunately the ink used in this particular Bic pen seems to dry very quickly.

On the third day of ownership I went on a trip to London and took my pen carefully packed away in my brief case, but I needn't have worried, this isn't some temperamental ink pen that leaks when you store it at the wrong angle. I sat at my meeting and confidently removed the cap from my pen and it wrote flawlessly, almost immediately.

I notice that the barrel of the pen has been crafted very carefully to fit in the pen holder down the edge of my Filofax. It's not so grippy so that it is hard to remove when I want to make a quick note, and yet not so loose that it falls out too easily when I open my Filofax in a hurry. Maybe the choice of surface texture on the pen has some part to play here, because it seems that the inside of the leather grip on the pen holder in my Filofax has just the right level of adhesion that I can be confident when I need to reach in and get my pen it's going to be just where I left it!

Today is the fourth day of ownership of my pen, and I have to say I'm starting to treat it like an old friend. I walk around the office with it clipped in to my shirt pocket and someone in the accounts department actually asked to borrow it while we were both standing at the photocopier. Would you believe it, they actually tried to walk away with my pen! They were very embarrassed when I called after them as they walked down the corridor and asked for it back. You will be happy to know that it is now back, safe and sound in my top pocket, ready and waiting to start writing again.

In summary, I would happily recommend this pen to anyone who is planning on writing on paper. If you are considering a writing implement for some other surface such as writing on a CD, or other non-porous substances then another pen might be better suited, but if it's just plain old paper then I think you will probably be well served by this particular model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Languages, 12 April 2010
P. Day - See all my reviews
Whilst perfect as a general day to day writing implement, as I have many Pen Pals across the globe, I am wondering if it comes in any other languages? My foreign friends would be simply delighted to receive a missive from me in their native tongue and, not least, pretty damn impressed. If anyone can let me know that would great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Left handers beware..., 22 Jan 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Pens, 17 Mar 2013
Having taken the precaution of ensuring that the safety cap was covering the rounded end, my length of BiC felt ready for action. I tentatively held the shaft between my thumb and forefinger and, with anticipation rising, made my move. The ball gently caressed the lily-white paper only for a furrow to appear. Goodness, was my BiC firing blanks? Tension rising, I picked up the pace. Grasping the trunk more firmly this time, I jerked it back and forth in increasingly violent strokes as the deepening furrow gave way to a veritable trench. With grinding teeth, I continued to push the BiC deep into the paper, a gnawing doubt starting to form that the moment might never come. Then, just as I was thinking about maybe using a pencil, the grating subsided as a wave of ink oiled the ball, finally spilling forth creating words of beauty and wonder. Oh yes! Yes! The job was done and satisfaction had arrived. Finished, I discarded the BiC and leaned back to appreciate yet another well-crafted shopping list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bic Crystal Ballpoint Pen, Medium Point, Black, 15 Jan 2011
I bought this in all good faith as someone told me that this pen would be mightier than a sword, well after spending half an hour toying with it I have realised that they obviously have never encountered automatic weapons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 24 Sep 2010
Having previously searched unsuccessfully for a product to help me direct attention to spherical objects I was relieved to stumble across this product. It is called a ball point pen and I must say that when it comes to pointing at balls, there is nothing to beat it. Well done Bic for keeping your promise.

1.0 out of 5 stars More painful than most pens., 24 Dec 2007
While trying to stick the pen behind my ear at work, I inadvertantly jammed it into my right eye.

It is definatly more painful than most pens, and the ink feels much more corosive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you check the correct region when ordering!, 13 Dec 2007
R. L. Royall Jr. (New Mexico, USA) - See all my reviews
My wife thought that this pen would make a lovely Christmas gift for me and ordered it online. When the retailer emailed her asking which region type of pen she wanted, she was confused and neglected to reply to the message. About a week ago or so, the pen arrived via international courier and my wife presented it to me with a beatific smile and sparkles in her eyes.

Charmed by her thoughtful gift, I set down to jot some notes regarding a special remodeling project for the kitchen, but the pen refused to write. The crystalline barrel showed that the ink reservoir was topped off and there were no obstructions on the ball end, so I attempted to write once more. Alas, nothing appeared on my sheet of paper but scratches.

I frantically checked the package to see if there was some sort of activation process for the pen and stumbled across a warning note. Apparently the Writing Implement Association of America (WIAA) has established the UK as being part of distribution region 2, while North America is region 1. Because of the region differences, my imported pen will not work with region 1 8 1/2 x 11 inch letter-size paper - it only works on European (A4 and such) paper. Unfortunately the import duties on the pen itself cost quite a pretty penny, and I cannot afford to purchase appropriate-region paper to write on. I have looked up some so called "gray paper" import companies but I don't know if I altogether trust them.

If you're from the States like me, and you're interested in purchasing this fine writing implement, remember to specify the correct region!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than writing with blood, 16 Oct 2008
A. Henry - See all my reviews
Being a career criminal, extortionist, and blackmailer, i take great pride in the threatening letters I dispatch to my victims and their immediate family. For years I have used my own blood, because it's always handy.

Recently however, advances in DNA profiling have meant that I've had to consider other mediums as an alternative writing material. My wife has been at me for years to get one of these 'pen's that I'd often heard mentioned, but I thought that they were just a load of old nonsense for those soft 'city' types. I had seen people using them in the moving pictures, and I refuse to be drawn in by 'fads'.

Putting my skepticism aside for a moment, I decided to invest in one of these pens, and went in search of an appropriate model. Being a shrewd investor, I sensed that the Bic Crystal Ballpoint Pen, Medium Point, Black might be a good choice. Firstly the ink color, black, appealed to me. The night is black, ravens are black, black pudding is black. And black pudding is black because of the blood in it. As mentioned previously, blood was my writing medium of choice, but if I could acquire a pen that offered the convenience of a pen, and without the light headedness and iron deficiency associated with regular blood writing, then I was on to a winner. I figure that the black ink will still have the desired effect when my clients read it, because they will still think it's blood, only *dried* blood. Which is arguably even more dramatic. "How did he write with dried blood? Why is his blood so dry to begin with? Maybe he's thirsty. Why is he bothering sending me this letter when he's so thirsty? He must *really* want his money if he's going to so much bother when he's so clearly thirsty. It'd be best if I just paid him. Maybe he could buy some orange juice with the money. Perhaps I'll leave a bottle of it with the money for him, poor chap."

In short, now that I'm a biro 'convert'. I shant be looking back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lack of Font options, 8 Dec 2010
While this pen is functional and easy to use, a downside is it only supports one default font (that appears to be user specific?). I have tried multiple times to access Helvetica, Times New Roman, Impact etc. to no avail... I don't even see any input buttons.

The default font is pretty shoddy looking, resembling Comic Sans.

An update would be appreciated Bic!