2,688 of 2,715 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very good if you need to write on paper
Published on 7 Mar 2007 by M. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Left handers beware...
Worked fine with my right hand, but when I came to use my left hand my writing came out looking like the work of a complete imbecile. I can only assume Bic have created a right-handed only pen, and would caution left-handers to "try before you buy".
Published on 22 Jan 2008 by Disappointed user

2,688 of 2,715 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very good if you need to write on paper, 7 Mar 2007
M. Williams "Matt Williams" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bic Crystal Ballpoint Pen, Medium Point, Black (Office Product)
Since taking delivery of my pen I have been very happy with the quality of ink deposition on the various types of paper that I have used. On the first day when I excitedly unwrapped my pen (thanks for the high quality packaging Amazon!) I just couldn't contain my excitement and went around finding things to write on, like the shopping list on the notice board in our kitchen, the Post-it notes next to the phone, and on my favourite lined A4 pad at the side of my desk.

My pen is the transparent type with a blue lid. I selected this one in preference to the orange type because I like to be able to see how much ink I have left so that I can put in another order before I finally run out.

When the initial excitement of taking delivery of my new pen started to wear off I realised that I shouldn't just write for the fun of it, this should be a serious enterprise, so by the second day of ownership I started to take a little more care of what I wrote. I used it to sign three letters, and in each case was perfectly happy with the neatness of handwriting that I was able to achieve.

I have a helpful tip for you that you might not know about - if you let the ink dry for a few seconds you can avoid the smudging that sometimes happens if you rub the ink immediately after writing. Fortunately the ink used in this particular Bic pen seems to dry very quickly.

On the third day of ownership I went on a trip to London and took my pen carefully packed away in my brief case, but I needn't have worried, this isn't some temperamental ink pen that leaks when you store it at the wrong angle. I sat at my meeting and confidently removed the cap from my pen and it wrote flawlessly, almost immediately.

I notice that the barrel of the pen has been crafted very carefully to fit in the pen holder down the edge of my Filofax. It's not so grippy so that it is hard to remove when I want to make a quick note, and yet not so loose that it falls out too easily when I open my Filofax in a hurry. Maybe the choice of surface texture on the pen has some part to play here, because it seems that the inside of the leather grip on the pen holder in my Filofax has just the right level of adhesion that I can be confident when I need to reach in and get my pen it's going to be just where I left it!

Today is the fourth day of ownership of my pen, and I have to say I'm starting to treat it like an old friend. I walk around the office with it clipped in to my shirt pocket and someone in the accounts department actually asked to borrow it while we were both standing at the photocopier. Would you believe it, they actually tried to walk away with my pen! They were very embarrassed when I called after them as they walked down the corridor and asked for it back. You will be happy to know that it is now back, safe and sound in my top pocket, ready and waiting to start writing again.

In summary, I would happily recommend this pen to anyone who is planning on writing on paper. If you are considering a writing implement for some other surface such as writing on a CD, or other non-porous substances then another pen might be better suited, but if it's just plain old paper then I think you will probably be well served by this particular model.

2.0 out of 5 stars Left handers beware..., 22 Jan 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Languages, 12 April 2010
P. Day - See all my reviews
Whilst perfect as a general day to day writing implement, as I have many Pen Pals across the globe, I am wondering if it comes in any other languages? My foreign friends would be simply delighted to receive a missive from me in their native tongue and, not least, pretty damn impressed. If anyone can let me know that would great.

5.0 out of 5 stars How I met the love of my life, in summary., 25 Dec 2007
John Mcnichol "Anomie" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It was a bright day in November. The frost shone golden in the morning sun as the newly settled snow hid the grey sparkle of the street.

I had just climbed out of the shower, and was about to prepare breakfast when a knock came from my front door. I was greeted by a handful of letters and a flippant postal worker, asking me to sign for a parcel. I had fallen in love. The slim, smooth body, that awkward fitting cap that set off the perfect angles, the way I held no sway over their interest... It was literally love at first sight. The second and third were indulgences. Then came lust. I could barely contain myself as I grabbed them, and wrapped myself around them. Feeling their touch on my skin was almost instantly overpowering, I couldn't help but stare, my eyes were locked.
The postal worker just stared, oblivious, but I knew I had met my love. The smooth ink flowed from the end of the pen, so effortlessly, so carefree and wild, as my lover screamed my name across the page.

"Weirdo..." he grunted, and he snatched my love and retreated to his van. I was speechless, this idiot was about to ruin what had only just blossomed. Speechless... but not actionless. With one smooth motion, fuelled by adrenaline and love, I swung from my front porch onto the snow of my driveway, and flung myself at the intruder. I missed of course, my body in terrible shape from years of MMO abuse I fell metres short of my target, as he spun around at the sound and began to laugh.

"Please... Don't do this to me" I croaked, "I can't live without her."

He turned his back, climbed into the van, and drove away with my calligrapical angel. I cried, and my tears froze on the ground, as hard as my heart.

Would recommend this product to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Satisfied., 31 Jan 2009
R. C. Murray - See all my reviews
Much to my delight the pen arrived quickly and I was able to write with it almost immediately after releasing it from it's wrapping, with no prompting on my part. Also, later on in the evening after a furious scribing session and much wine imbibed on both sides, it proved a very helpful ally in retrieving my left contact lens from the gap in between the floorboards.
Especially Useful for those with wooden floors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware license issues!, 2 Mar 2011
While this is a perfectly good pen, I would definitely recommend that you choose the 'Multi-user' license option. I foolishly chose the 'Single-user' license in order to save a bit of money and as a result am left with a pen that only one person can use at a time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lack of Font options, 8 Dec 2010
While this pen is functional and easy to use, a downside is it only supports one default font (that appears to be user specific?). I have tried multiple times to access Helvetica, Times New Roman, Impact etc. to no avail... I don't even see any input buttons.

The default font is pretty shoddy looking, resembling Comic Sans.

An update would be appreciated Bic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bic Crystal Ballpoint Pen, Medium Point, Black, 15 Jan 2011
I bought this in all good faith as someone told me that this pen would be mightier than a sword, well after spending half an hour toying with it I have realised that they obviously have never encountered automatic weapons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every extortionist should have one, 19 Oct 2011
This pen has been a wonderful investment. Previously I used to write ransom notes in my own blood, but the constant fainting meant all my kidnap victims got away. And cutting letters out of newspapers was useless because there were never enough zeros. But now with one of these little beauties to demand money, my dungeon is far tidier and I'm making out like a Somali pirate.
Thank you Amazon!

NB. If any real Somali Pirates find out about these pens, they'll have to close down whole shipping lanes.

1.0 out of 5 stars More painful than most pens., 24 Dec 2007
While trying to stick the pen behind my ear at work, I inadvertantly jammed it into my right eye.

It is definatly more painful than most pens, and the ink feels much more corosive.