2,911 of 2,939 people found the following review helpful
Since taking delivery of my pen I have been very happy with the quality of ink deposition on the various types of paper that I have used. On the first day when I excitedly unwrapped my pen (thanks for the high quality packaging Amazon!) I just couldn't contain my excitement and went around finding things to write on, like the shopping list on the notice board in our kitchen, the Post-it notes next to the phone, and on my favourite lined A4 pad at the side of my desk.

My pen is the transparent type with a blue lid. I selected this one in preference to the orange type because I like to be able to see how much ink I have left so that I can put in another order before I finally run out.

When the initial excitement of taking delivery of my new pen started to wear off I realised that I shouldn't just write for the fun of it, this should be a serious enterprise, so by the second day of ownership I started to take a little more care of what I wrote. I used it to sign three letters, and in each case was perfectly happy with the neatness of handwriting that I was able to achieve.

I have a helpful tip for you that you might not know about - if you let the ink dry for a few seconds you can avoid the smudging that sometimes happens if you rub the ink immediately after writing. Fortunately the ink used in this particular Bic pen seems to dry very quickly.

On the third day of ownership I went on a trip to London and took my pen carefully packed away in my brief case, but I needn't have worried, this isn't some temperamental ink pen that leaks when you store it at the wrong angle. I sat at my meeting and confidently removed the cap from my pen and it wrote flawlessly, almost immediately.

I notice that the barrel of the pen has been crafted very carefully to fit in the pen holder down the edge of my Filofax. It's not so grippy so that it is hard to remove when I want to make a quick note, and yet not so loose that it falls out too easily when I open my Filofax in a hurry. Maybe the choice of surface texture on the pen has some part to play here, because it seems that the inside of the leather grip on the pen holder in my Filofax has just the right level of adhesion that I can be confident when I need to reach in and get my pen it's going to be just where I left it!

Today is the fourth day of ownership of my pen, and I have to say I'm starting to treat it like an old friend. I walk around the office with it clipped in to my shirt pocket and someone in the accounts department actually asked to borrow it while we were both standing at the photocopier. Would you believe it, they actually tried to walk away with my pen! They were very embarrassed when I called after them as they walked down the corridor and asked for it back. You will be happy to know that it is now back, safe and sound in my top pocket, ready and waiting to start writing again.

In summary, I would happily recommend this pen to anyone who is planning on writing on paper. If you are considering a writing implement for some other surface such as writing on a CD, or other non-porous substances then another pen might be better suited, but if it's just plain old paper then I think you will probably be well served by this particular model.
115115 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,003 of 1,024 people found the following review helpful
on 22 January 2008
Worked fine with my right hand, but when I came to use my left hand my writing came out looking like the work of a complete imbecile. I can only assume Bic have created a right-handed only pen, and would caution left-handers to "try before you buy".
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 April 2010
Whilst perfect as a general day to day writing implement, as I have many Pen Pals across the globe, I am wondering if it comes in any other languages? My foreign friends would be simply delighted to receive a missive from me in their native tongue and, not least, pretty damn impressed. If anyone can let me know that would great.
on 15 January 2011
I bought this in all good faith as someone told me that this pen would be mightier than a sword, well after spending half an hour toying with it I have realised that they obviously have never encountered automatic weapons.
on 24 September 2010
Having previously searched unsuccessfully for a product to help me direct attention to spherical objects I was relieved to stumble across this product. It is called a ball point pen and I must say that when it comes to pointing at balls, there is nothing to beat it. Well done Bic for keeping your promise.
on 24 December 2007
While trying to stick the pen behind my ear at work, I inadvertantly jammed it into my right eye.

It is definatly more painful than most pens, and the ink feels much more corosive.
on 13 December 2007
My wife thought that this pen would make a lovely Christmas gift for me and ordered it online. When the retailer emailed her asking which region type of pen she wanted, she was confused and neglected to reply to the message. About a week ago or so, the pen arrived via international courier and my wife presented it to me with a beatific smile and sparkles in her eyes.

Charmed by her thoughtful gift, I set down to jot some notes regarding a special remodeling project for the kitchen, but the pen refused to write. The crystalline barrel showed that the ink reservoir was topped off and there were no obstructions on the ball end, so I attempted to write once more. Alas, nothing appeared on my sheet of paper but scratches.

I frantically checked the package to see if there was some sort of activation process for the pen and stumbled across a warning note. Apparently the Writing Implement Association of America (WIAA) has established the UK as being part of distribution region 2, while North America is region 1. Because of the region differences, my imported pen will not work with region 1 8 1/2 x 11 inch letter-size paper - it only works on European (A4 and such) paper. Unfortunately the import duties on the pen itself cost quite a pretty penny, and I cannot afford to purchase appropriate-region paper to write on. I have looked up some so called "gray paper" import companies but I don't know if I altogether trust them.

If you're from the States like me, and you're interested in purchasing this fine writing implement, remember to specify the correct region!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 January 2008
While I have never used a Bic for the following activities, heaven forbid, I have witnessed it used in the following ways and can testify to the incredibly versatile nature of this seemingly innocuous writing instrument:

Fine Chisel: The nib of a Bic pen is perfectly designed for cutting through the laminate top of school desks and carving intricate designs into the hardboard beneath. As a bonus, any ink that was deposited into the etchings served to enhance the overall aesthetic effect. The Bic Crystal ballpoint pen surpassed even the Property of U.S. Government pens that so many of my classmates used due to their ubiquitous presence in the NSA ghettos of Maryland.

Whistle: When an appropriate amount of spit has leaked into the barrel of said Bic, and the end cap has been removed, you can blow air through the end and hear it whistle out the little hole in the side. This is a particularly handy way to amuse oneself during boring linear algebra lectures.

Tongue Decoration: Less permanent than a tongue piercing, the end cap lends itself to suction-attachment to the end of one's tongue. For some unknown reason, these properties are especially apparent during essay exams.

Impromptu Ruler: By rubbing the side of the crystal pen against a sharp corner, you can introduce lines into the finish, which transforms the pen into a measuring instrument useful in geometry.

Straight Edge: The non-circular design of the barrel makes it unique among writing instruments in its ability to be used as a straight edge. Increasing the pen's versatility is its ability to separate into the writing essentials (ink tube and nib) and the barrel, making it possible to draw a straight line using only the components of the pen.

Drill: By wiggling the pen assiduously, one can increase the circumference of small holes.

Cap Launcher: This pen can be used to launch its own cap across a classroom or conference room with the flick of a wrist. Be sure to loosen said cap before all launch attempts. Best of all, launch can be passed off as an accident.

Prism: If you are sitting next to a window and hold the pen just right, you can cause rainbows to appear on your desk. This is especially impressive if you happen to be sitting in science class at the time. Cracked barrels are especially prone to casting interesting light shows.

Teeth Cleaner: If the end cap is pulled partially out of the barrel, it makes a convenient surface for scraping the scum off your front teeth.

I, myself, have witnessed many, many more uses for this seemingly mundane writing instrument, far too many to be listed here. I encourage all to acquire a Bic and experiment for themselves.
on 6 July 2009
After reading the many positive reviews on here, I decided to buy the bic and write some poetry. However, despite using the bic pen as per instructions, the poetry I produced failed to scan or rhyme, as the following extract demonstrates.

'I am a flower
That grows in somebody's garden probably
The vicars but my roots are in hell,
Come sniff me maidens and pluck my chlorophyll filled leaf buds.'

Not good, I'm sure you agree. I am sorry but I cannot really recommend this product to other budding poets. Back to my trusty pencil!
on 24 December 2007
You'd think, with all of the new anti-obscenity laws, that this pen would have a V-chip installed. It DOESN'T!!!!! You should see some of the filthy words and drawings that my children were able to write with this product. I am going to file a formal complaint with the FCC.

Buyer (with young children) Beware!!!!