5.0 out of 5 stars MASTECH MS8268
Published on 3 Sept. 2012 by Chris and Chris.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best
Bought this after reading reviews. Didn't want the cheapest but feels like I wasn't far off.
Comes in generic box, tone on continuity keeps breaking, resistance up and down when would expect to be fairly constant
Looks good, but not overly convinced with how practical it really is
Published 17 months ago by Terribleterrytate

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTECH MS8268, 3 Sept. 2012
As an amateur, I bought this multimeter after studying the reviews on it. Mastech was not a brand I recognised in meters, but not to worry, as when I started to use it, straight away it looked & felt like a quality, reliable piece of kit. The readings compared closely to 2 older meters I had. The case is solid & with a good holding grip. The selection dial is robust & rotates firmly but smoothly. The meter performs all the tasks I would ever need, & the autoranging works efficiently & pretty quickly. The display is large & clear, with an optional blue backlight which stays on for 15 secs. A good safety feature are the orange lamps indicating in/correct connection/polarity of the test probe shrouds. Nice one. The 10 amp fuse is ceramic, & sits under a cover on the rear of the meter, with the 3 x AAA batteries in a separate area to the fuse. I dont like the AAA batts. prefer AA's or even 9V. What else? The rear stand is solid enough to hold the meter steady. The test probes are well made & clip nicely onto the rear of the case. The leads are softish, but not silicone. Inc. is a multi func. socket to fit into the volt/com sockets which will accept K type temp. leads & hFE tests. This meter performs all usual tests. For £30.00 it will be on many amateurs shortlist. I recommend the MS8268, & I dont think you will be dissapointed (if you cant afford a pro. meter).

4.0 out of 5 stars Multimeter, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Dr.MeterMastech Ac/Dc Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter, Ms8268, Green, Black (DIY & Tools)
It's no £600 fluke meter but it certainly does the job. I use this every day working with electrical motors and generators, It proudly sits in my toolbox and is a great addition. Owned it for a few months now and I'm very happy with it so far.

Pros- Cheap, large, great stand, black light is a good addition, accurate measurements (compared side by side with workshop fluke meters) doesn't eat up batteries and some nice features the fluke ones do not have, such as beeping when the leads are in incorrect slots for the test being performed and a beep that sounds if you leave it on and forget about it, it turns itself off anyway but the beep is still a nice reminder.

Cons- AC voltage readings are sometimes hard to zero and they can fluctuate a lot more than a fluke would, the capacitance readings are not instant, they take a while to work through the auto ranges as you can not manually set it in capacitance mode. And the continuancy beep is a bit quiet. alright if its a quiet workspace but sometimes when a lot is happening it can be hard to hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 28 Mar. 2013
I had been managing with a £4.99 cheapie from my local Maplin's for a long time and I had begun to suspect its accuracy (...what a shocker). Deciding that I needed a grown-up machine, I did a lot of research and here is the result. Mastech's own site has an almost bewildering range of meters which makes choosing the right one a little tough.

I'm not going to give you the full spec, you can read it yourself here, I'm just going to tell about the features I really like. So apart from the fact it's got a clear screen, all the obvious A/V/Ω/F functions you'd want, it has a nifty gadget to make bare component measurement really easy and it's got a frequency / duty cycle function. This is great for messing about with arduino and other embedded processors - short of a proper oscilloscope (very expensive!) it's the next best thing for checking if your PWM output is good. And it just works! Other "icing" is the lights behind the lead sockets that show you which holes to use for each setting

I guess it's not earth-shatteringly new, but it's new to me and i love it, especially at this price. Load a 'duino analog sketch, poke the black probe into GND and red onto your chosen pin (usually 9) and hey presto you see 500 - the default 'duino PWM clock speed. Stab it again and - lo! - you see the duty cycle as a percentage. So if your code says "analogWrite(PIN_9,128);" the MS8268 shows 50%. Easy.

The second feature I really like is again probably not that new: perhaps it's a long time since I looked at multimeters. It goes by the unexciting name of "MS3206 Multi-function socket" but it tickles me pink every time I use it. It's little gizmo that straddles the COM and "normal" sockets and has two small slits in it that allows you to just poke the leads of a component into them for an instant reading, no fiddly croc clips or smooth probes sliding off...the adapter also has NPN/PNP transistor holes.

Criticisms? A couple of niggles - it can be a little slow taking readings once you lock the probes on and the leads as supplied were a trifle loose in the sockets. A quick tweak with a small screwdriver inside the plug shroud to widen the internal banana plug soon sorted that though.

All in all, bloody good value - I'd buy one if I hadn't already! I even reviewed it on my own blog: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent meter for the price, 10 Sept. 2013
A great value meter with every scale one would require. I needed it as my other old meters had no capacitance scale. Readings of different capacitors proved very accurate. Autoranging is very handy also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your on the Meter, 20 Mar. 2014
After receiving this only today , I must say i`m really pleased i got this one instead of a cheap one and when i say cheap i usually go for the £5 to £10 ones This has everything you could want for an amature to a pro user,.I especially like the light indicators on the termals leads to show you where the leads need to go when turning the selector switch,

The back light stays on for around 5 seconds i guess thats to save batterys, The bleep could be a little louder i suppose, but i`m not going to niggle about that,

The display is large and clear, and i just found where you can store your leads when your done, They clip on the back ;-) Mine didnt come with Batteries but i had some spare ones

The best part is the Manual it is 100% in English

Would recommend :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars good but..., 30 Jan. 2014
Hooch6 (Bristol, South Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
its good product but for some reason will not zero!! not sure if I have a faulty product! but does the job I bought it for (to test fuses)

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best, 28 Jan. 2014
Looks good, but not overly convinced with how practical it really is

5.0 out of 5 stars you get a great deal and there's little to criticise, 18 Oct. 2014
For a DMM at this price, you get a great deal and there's little to criticise. It is well-built - the display is clear, the switch smooth, and comes with a nice set of probes. Accuracy is acceptable for a meter of this price and for general work. If you want accuracy to 3 decimal points, you will probably have to spend much more. It's too much to expect auto-calibration for fluctuations of temperature at this price. The functions it offers i more than adequate for most users. Some offer temperature measurement, sound meter (another model by Mastech does that), etc., but those bells and whistles are probably best left to dedicated equipment if you want accuracy. As I only have had this meter for a short time, I cannot comment on its long-term reliability. But I have no reason to think that it is any less reliable than similar ones you find on the market. I would recommend it highly. Delivery was fast and the advanced notification of it was a very nice touch. Price could not be matched unless you shop at the rear end of a lorry. Well done. Sisyle, or is it Kenris Tech?

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected!, 18 Mar. 2014
A surprisingly good quality meter! Built like a brick and intuitive to use! The LED function and warning on the banana sockets is a very nice feature; comparable to (though not as foolproof as) the shutter-guards on some very high end meters.

The switch is clunky and accurate (the way it should be) and the buttons are of a good quality. The backlight LED is great as well; which brings us to the display. Nice big digits and excellent responsiveness; what more could you ask for!

The auto-ranging is fast on all ranges too; making it far superior to many low-end meters.

The continuity tester buzzer is very responsive but is of the non-latching type; not a major downer of course, but a very minor, almost nit-picking area for improvement ;)

And finally; the one area where I have to complain... the fuses...

Although the meter has a 10A HRC ceramic fuse (far better than the cheapie meters!); it does not have a high voltage fuse! Not a major problem if you're working with low voltage circuitry; but it may not actually meet the CAT-II 1000V / CAT-III 600V Dual rating claimed (which is self-certified by Mastech; and may not stand up to independent testing); there may be a PCB mounted high-voltage fuse on the circuitry itself; though obviously I'm not going to do a teardown/review here.

Not a major problem of course; to meet the CE marking the meter needs to be "safe": it's just not as safe as I would like when working in high voltage / high power applications.

Overall a very good meter for the price! I would certainly consider buying another one at some point - though as I said, it's built like a brick so I won't be needing a replacement anytime soon and I would certainly recommend it to hobbyists and anybody using it for low to medium voltages!

4.0 out of 5 stars goood kit, 22 Jun. 2013
neat tool could do with a carrying case. and crocodile leads in it.ideal for the home mech got to go im using it now.