5.0 out of 5 stars Less is more
Published on 5 Aug 2008 by Karsten Juhl Jorgensen

Published 18 months ago by New Kid In Town

5.0 out of 5 stars Less is more, 5 Aug 2008
Karsten Juhl Jorgensen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This "raw" version of the Living With War album consists of the studio recordings from NY, before the recordings of the choir from LA was added, which makes the album an entirely different experience - much better, in my opinion. The music is so filled with passion and emotion, it is shocking. Neil sounds like he REALY means every word he is singing and the feeling of these "in the heat of the moment" recordings are underlined by the unproduced sound. It is very difficult not to be emotionally drawn into these songs. The sound quality on this vinyl version is fantastic - you get a very clear impression of the acoustics of the recording room, probably also a result of the lack of post-production (if that is what this sort of manipulation is called - hope you get my drift), and on a decent stereo system, Neil is present in your living room. Although "America the Beutiful" is listed on this Amazon reference, the track is not on the album, of course, as it is purely sung by choir on the first release of Living With War. You realy don't miss it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form by one of the greats, 2 Mar 2009
I bought this on the back of the BBC programme on Neil Young recently, Don't Be Denied (worth watching even if you have only a passing interest in the artist). He mentioned on that programme that he used a familiar tune for "Let's Impeach the President". It took me ages to realise that he's used "City of New Orleans" for that - a stroke of genius.

He's still as prolific as he's ever been. He's got another one due out in 2009. Not bad for someone who could easily have hung up his spurs by now.

I thought Prairie Wind was as good as it was going to get. I was wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neil Young proves that less is best, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Living With War - In The Beginning (Audio CD)
I loved "Living With War" as it was originally released; all those years after "Southern Man", "Ohio" and "Ambulance Blues", Neil still had a political point to make and didn't mind alienating the redneck, tub-thumping, Bush-supporting contingent in doing it. War in Iraq was wrong and the US-led coalition was an abberation (at least, in his eyes).

The chance to hear the same songs in a stripped-back manner, free from the choir but full-on in vitriol, was too good an opportunity to miss.

Rick Rosas and Chad Cromwell make for an excellent and tight Crazy Horse stand-in act for Neil, as they did on the "Eldorado" EP back in 1989. The as-live performances of the three musicians, with just the addition of the trumpet of Tom Bray, push the songs right into your face. Which, of course, is what Neil wanted.

If you believe that the invasion of Iraq was a noble and just act, without any construction business considerations and with the price of crude being a complete non-issue, then this will not be an album for you. On the other hand, if you want to know just how angry Neil Young can get when he feels a great injustice has been done and the US public have been lied to, then place your order now.

I do prefer this version but be warned: this album was never intended to be a comfortable ride.

Having said that I prefer this version, there was something richly ironic about the original album ending with a syrupy choral rendition of "America The Beautiful!". It's missing here but you could argue that Neil has already got what he wanted to say off of his chest?

5.0 out of 5 stars It's up there with Tonights The Night, 9 May 2014
N. Rogall "nlr50" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living With War - In The Beginning (Audio CD)
This really is one of my fave Neil Young albums along with Tonight's The Night and Le Noise. The marriage of the anger and the music is thrilling. There is passion here rather than pretty tunes. Can't wait to get my hands on this edition

1.0 out of 5 stars APPRECIATE THE MESSAGE BUT MUSIC IS AWFUL, WORST YOUNG EVER.., 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Living With War - In The Beginning (Audio CD)
I`m sorry I grew up listening to Young and I`m a huge fan ....I really appreciate the message he is trying to get thru here, but the music to me is appalling...I cannot listen to any of the tracks for more tahn 3 seconds then I have to skip to the next one thank god the cd is over before I puke...sorry to say cuase Im a huge fan but I cannot save anything but his good intentions here in delivering a message of peace...either version with or without choir is absolutely terrrible...

Living With War - In The Beginning
Living With War - In The Beginning by Neil Young (Audio CD - 2006)