4.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than I thought
Having read so many negative reviews of the Kindle edition of the Independent I didn't expect very much - but since it was free for the first 2 weeks, I thought I'd have a go anyway!

Published on 1 Oct. 2010 by Meltedgold

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could do better
Published on 2 Oct. 2010 by Harry Lime

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could do better, 2 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)
I knew that the content of the Indi (electronic) was going to suffer for its transcription to the e format, and it has. On the down side not enough photos, cartoons (actually none) crossword, on the plus side no adverts, no paper to cart around. All i need is there however, and in a format that works, i do like the section scanning part as it enables me to miss out those articles that i have no interest in. I do like that i can scan and pick what i read

I also like a lot that i can get my copy with out going to the shop and given that it is howling a gale at the moment and i am sitting in front of the fire with a large brew of caffeine, this is the best bit of all.

Where my real gripe is with price. Yes i save, but on the other hand they will want one months dosh up front (once you get past the free sub stage). Next its far to expensive for what you get, this is about £5 worth of content given that who ever set up the on-line version of the Indi, simply has to click a button to reproduce the Kindle editions (obviously after the set up template is done]. The £14 or so that i am being asked for is extortionate, but in the nicest possible way. Hint stop trying to replicate the Murdochnews and stick to your own set up and pricing structure. The Murdochnews isn't worth 5p let alone £15. Moreover everything the Kindle gives me is available FOC on the web where i spend my working day anyway.

I also like that i only have time to read the one paper, previously I used to spend £2 a day on 4 newspapers (and more at the weekend, which incidentally wont stop, the weekend bit i mean) scan and then onto the fire for kindling.

Will I continue? maybe, this is my second subscription to a newspaper and i am beginning to see the positive side of Kindles and the future. A few more photos and cartoons and i just might make the effort and continue?

2.0 out of 5 stars A wasted opportunity, 7 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)
I tried the free 14 day trial of this was very happy with the service. The digital download was ready to read each morning and it was certainly more convenient than buying a print edition on the way to work. However, due to the sky high cost and the number of articles missing from the digital edition, I will not be continuing with my subscription.

1.0 out of 5 stars An insult to the intelligence, 28 Aug. 2010
James Blackler (Kingston upon Thames) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)
The product page implies this has the same layout and articles as the print version, making it akin to reading the print version on the Kindle.

Far from it. What is actually presented has far less content than even the paper's website.

Maybe an interesting experiment if they weren't asking a subscription of over £10 a month. As this price what is offered is laughable. It seems like a cynical cash in.

3.0 out of 5 stars may be good for commuters, but too expensive by comparison to their own app, 19 April 2011
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)
I was a subscriber for over two months and have just cancelled, based on price. Before this subscription started, I was getting the newspaper delivered to my door and I figured that with the saving I would make over a year, the kindle would pay for itself. I persevered, in spite of the other limitations commented upon in these reviews, such as access to sections, missing pictures, strange formatting (there is obviously no kindle editor responsible for the appearance of each edition) and some articles such as the man for man marking feature in the sports pages being virtually impossible to read - all for the sake of saving this notional money! However, this recently became a redundant argument, because The Independent now offers an app for android phones / devices(and maybe iphone too, I dont know), which makes the content far easier to navigate around, has full colour pictures and provides content (in some cases more up to date than the Kindle edition) - and this is all free! So I am switching to that, thank you.

This is not a total waste of money, however. Though reading it takes a bit of getting used to, I think that when travelling, this is a good cheap way to access newspapers around the globe to read on the beach, which one could not do as easily with a phone device, due to roaming charges - and also if one is commuting, the kindle is a convenient way to read the news while packed sardine like into a tube train at 830 at Bank station. I am not a commuter, but when I am next going abroad I will perhaps re-subscribe for the time period I am away. The advantage of the Kindle subscription process is that it allows you to do this and pay pro-rata only for the items you have downloaded. You are initially charged the full monthly amount then the pro-rata unused amount is refunded a few days after cancellation of the subscription, which is done on the "manage your kindle" page.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive, 23 Sept. 2010
Artefact "Artefact" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)
I am not sure what other reviewers expected from a Kindle version of a newspaper.

If you want to see a paper in all its glory, you buy it. If you want it to look like a paper but read it on a portable screen, you use your notebook or iPad for the web version and carry the larger, heavier device around knowing that you won't be able to read it in bright daylight.

The Kindle is a small monochrome device, and what the publishers deliver is perfectly reasonable in that context - key articles from the paper with a minimal but workable index. Kindle users cannot really expect more.

What we can expect, however, is to be charged a reasonable price for the hugely cut down version of the paper which we receive and that, I would suggest, cannot be more than a fiver a month.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, 3 Dec. 2010
Dr. Michael Heron (Brechin) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)
As much as I love the Indy, and as much as I will miss having it delivered directly to my Kindle on a daily basis, it is just far too expensive for what you get. What you get is text only articles, dumped directly onto your device - and that's okay, but not at this price.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than I thought, 1 Oct. 2010
Meltedgold (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)

I was very pleasantly surprised. I already knew there wouldn't be any pictures, so that didn't upset me. I found it easy to navigate around the different sections of the newspaper. Clicking on 'View Section List' at the bottom of each page opens a page with a list of sections (News, Business, Sport etc) and alongside each heading, an indication of the number of articles associated with each one. Clicking on the section heading takes you to the first article in that section. From there you can navigate to the next or the previous article using the 5-way controller. Alternatively, clicking on the number next to the section heading takes you to a list of headlines in that section with the first few lines of each article to help you choose what you would like to read.

As mentioned in most of the reviews, there are no pictures. There are also no tables, charts or graphs. This means that the weather map isn't included, neither are the crosswords and other games, and neither are the various sports results (football, racing etc) which are presented in tabular format in the print edition.

However, as far as I can tell, everything else in the print edition is present in the Kindle edition. And, mindful of some of the other reviews which have suggested there is less content in the Kindle edition than in the Print edition, today I bought a print edition too, and have spent the last half-hour or so comparing the print and kindle editions.

My conclusion is that, at least today (1 October, 2010) apart from the weather, the crosswords and puzzles and the sports results, every single article appearing in the print edition, in every section, also appears in the Kindle edition. They're not always in quite the same order, but they're all there!

So, actually, I'm quite impressed. I would have awarded five stars had it been able so reproduce graphs and charts and, more significantly, had it not been so expensive. Nevertheless, it's considerably cheaper than the print edition for pretty much exactly the same written content.

2.0 out of 5 stars It was growing on me - but now I'm not so sure, 19 Oct. 2010
Paul Ansell (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)
When I got my first edition of the paper, I was disappointed that there were no TV and radio listings, no list of sports results and fixtures,and hardly any pictures. I felt that it was a bit of a rip off. However, on just my second day (which is also just my second day of Kindle ownership), it is growing on me. I like the hard copy version of the Indie because it is well edited down, so you get a good grasp of what's what without having to plough through a lot of padding. The Kindle version really continues this principle. The main complaint I have is about the omission of pictures, which are often necessary for full comprehension of an article.

UPDATE about a week later.

My main feeling now is that it is put together carelessly. For example, at the top of book reviews, it does not state the name of the book, so you don't know what you are reading about. News articles on the same theme are sometimes scattered about all over the place rather than following on from each other. Obituaries need to be put together in an obituaries section (as they are on Saturday) because it is usually not clear from the index that it is an obituary. Where an article refers to a pictured person, priority needs to be given to providing that picture. Usually these are missing. When there is a picture against an obituary in the paper version, there should be picture in the Kindle version.

It can be useful having the Kindle version so you can search for something you may have missed earlier in the week (I've done this twice). Overall, though, I have decided that there is more that irritates me about it than pleases me so I am, slightly reluctantly, cancelling my subscription (once I can find out how to do so!) I'll come back when the Indie decides to take e-publication seriously.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, 23 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)
I really like the print version of this paper but the kindle version is badly edited and poorly presented I tried the trial and twice appeared to have articles of gobbledegook that made no sense so sadly have taken my news subscription elsewhere. They need to revisit the price and get somebody to copycheck what gets posted to make this worth subscribing to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall a satisfactory addition to Kindle, 24 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Independent (Kindle Edition)
This review does not take into account the pricing - that is for you to decide.

1. Don't exoect the full newspaper. The best analogy is that you have the text of the Independent in the form that you mght expect if it was reproduced as a paper back book containing just the newspaper's text. It has no colour, no adverts and you will miss the reasonably attractive layout of the newspaper itself. Neither does it have features such as football league tables or other such tables and few charts or photographs.

2. There is a page of headings eg news, sport, living, the arts and so forth. It took me a day or so to realise that clicking on the article totals corresponding to each section gave you a summary of the articles so that you can go directly to an article. Otherwise clicking on a section heading means that you have to go to each article in turn passing on using the five way controller. The drawback of all this is that, unlike a normal newspaper with its headlines and page layout, you do not get an indication of which are the headline - and presumably most important - articles.

3. Not all the newspaper seems to be there all the time. for example the hardy copy edition had a 12 page supplement on the George Osborne cuts. This was not available in the Kindle edition. Though I did not check I have no reason to think that any articles which were part of the normal edition were left out.

My overall view is that I would maintain a Kindle subscription if I was a busy business person who read more than one newspaper each day and who spent a lot of time away from his office travelling or staying in hotels. For a home based person it will be less useful but I would not rule it out if for myself if I thought the price was something lower, say 5 UK pounds a month

The Independent