Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 8 November 2011
I love this record. I have other stuff by Greg Dulli, Mark Lanegan, The Gutter Twins, Afghan Whigs, Screaming Trees etc. But this one ranks right up there with the best of their work in my opinion. It may well be a companion piece to the 'Powder Burns' album - is it sacrilege to suggest it's actually better?

There aren't a lot of songs on here, it is an EP after all, but the quality of them I think is exceptional. I really like track 1 'Live With Me' which is a blues growl that reminds me a bit of Nick Cave, a bit of Johnny Cash. And I love track 2 'Sublime' which is just infectious with its sexy/sleazy rhythm. The best of the bunch, though, is 'They Ride' - best song I've heard in ages. Just love it. So atmospheric. Every time I listen to it, it gets stuck in my head for days.

I just think it's great. The sound Dulli puts across here is a little different from the albums I guess, not massively different but a little bit. Maybe that's why I like it so much. Quite often bands put stuff out on EPs or single b-sides that do play about with ideas more than the main body of their work. And quite often, I find that stuff really interesting. I'd definitely recommend this one. Superb.
#1 HALL OF FAMEon 21 January 2007
` a stitch in time' is a companion to Twilight Singers' 2006 album `Powder Burns', three of the tracks (`sublime', `they ride' & `the lure would prove too much') feel like leftovers from those sessions - which the presence of Joseph Arthur, former Afghan Whig colleague Rick McCollum (in a co-writing capacity) et al suggests. Parts of the production like `Powder Burns' seem a little slick and were much better live when the Twilight Singers toured (...a live album could be a great thing, especially the points where Dulli was on his tod on the piano or when Mark Lanegan appeared!).

Lanegan has a history with Dulli - both were in great bands that were kind of tainted by the whole Grunge Phenomenon and the pair were rumoured to have been housemates during the chemical years that followed. Dulli had previously guested on 2003's `Here Comes the Weird Chill'/the following year's `Bubblegum' on the mighty `Methamphetamine Blues' and Lanegan returned the favour on the Twilight Singers' covers album `She Loves You.' Lanegan joined up the Twilight Singers tour (just at the time his collaboration with Isobel Campbell was doing very well!) and surfaced halfway through the set and sometime for the encore for several tracks including `Where Did You Sleep Last Night. Lanegan features on two tracks here, a brilliant cover of the Terry Callier-fronted Massive Attack song `Live with Me', which is perfect for those gnarly vocals, and for another cover version `Flashback' (I won't pretend to be familiar with the original). The e.p. is worth buying for those two tracks alone, though `sublime' is great - the vocal interplay between Arthur and Dulli is similar to that of Dulli and Lanegan and Greg sounds a bit like Lanegan sometimes (as the lead singer of Comets on Fire sounds like Dulli on `Lucifer's Memory!).

This is a fine companion to `Powder Burns' and a taster for the upcoming Dulli/Lanegan collaboration as the Gutterhearts/Gutter Hearts (has anyone told Marc Almond?). Between that Lanegan is touring last year's `Ballad of the Broken Seas' with Campbell, which must mean Dulli is about to work with Belle & Sebastian? Maybe not...
on 9 May 2009
You don't buy this for the number of tracks (only 5) or for the quality of most of them. You buy it because you are a fan of Afghan Whigs, The Screaming Trees and The Gutter Twins; but you buy it mainly because of the opening track, a brilliant cover of Massive Attack's 'Live With Me'.