on 5 May 2007
I have looked at Brother printers in passing for ages wondering "if the HP/Canon/Epson printers are so good, how come these guys are still around?". So when I came to need a new printer, I read some reviews and decided to 'take a risk'

I have found most of the 'big name' printers to be either very flimsy or if built well, to be too expensive for what they are, so felt this 'underdog' to be worth a try.

My Requirements
----------------

I wanted a printer for word documents and webpage printing, nothing outstanding, nothing that would win competitions for black levels just something 'good enough'.

It also had to have:

* a horizontal paper feed tray.
* 3 seperate colour cartridges (more economical and just plain sensible).
* inexpensive cartridges

and had to be:
* solidly bulit
* quiet
* quick

This lot seemed to be difficult to find in one packge at the £[...] price point with the big name boys. But it has arrived in a Brother form.

Installation
-------------

It arrived very quickly and in a smart blue box and was very easy to set up on my Mac. Load the software and after removing all the plastic bits meant to protect it during delivery, plug it in.

[btw It doesn't come with a USB cable, but from ebuyer these are only a few pounds]

It was recognised immediately and after installing the FULL ink cartridges supplied I began printing.

Quality
--------
It has numerous print quality settings, from very faint to very dark. For my requirements the middle setting is the best for speed and readable quality.

The printer settings within my Mac are easy to understand and comprehsive. I now have settings saved for Fast/Fast Normal/Higher/Best print setting.

I have happy with what it produces, the print is very smooth and readable. There tends to be a very slight ammount of bleeding of text, but it's really no problem.

What I wandted
---------------

I was looking for a printer which would print reasonable quality webpages and documents, so I didn't need a photo printer (consequently I haven't tried this function out). And I am very happy with what I got.

Summation
----------

Although its a little heavier than I expected, I like its shape and design, it's solid and robust. The menu system is uncomplicated, the cartridges are easy to install (and cheap too if you buy reconditioned £[...] for a set of 4 colours)

The printer does everything I need it to do fast enough and with good enough quality. It's solid and pretty quiet, I have a feeling it's going to be very reliable too.

The software nicely designed and is simple, it seems less complicated than the HP software I am used to, and it doesn't drain my system resources.

If I could improve anything about this printer, it would be for it to let me access it's SDCard port from my computer (the slots seem to be just for printing from).

I can highly recommend this underdog printer to you.
on 16 November 2007
Let's be honest, I bought this because it was cheap and I needed a printer right away, so I shouldn't be complaining too much. It has quite a nice print quality, not as good in colour as my old Lexmark though, not as sharply defined. The scanner is a decent quality for the type of machine too, so I'd recommend that side of things. Also, the front drawer opening for the paper is a good idea.

But now that I've used it for a while, having given it about 3 months of good hard graft, it is starting to fail on me. It has suddenly decided it doesn't like thinner paper, and as it always did have an issue with thick photo paper, this has been a bit of a nightmare. It seems to be a problem with drawing the paper through before it prints, as at least 50% of the time it is saying it has a paper jam or has no paper.

So, if you were to buy this for occasional use, I think it would be okay for quite a long time. But if you want it to do proper work and be RELIABLE, it might be better to spend a bit more on something else.
on 25 February 2009
I actually own this printer, snd use it all the time! My wife's HP printer has just broken, and I was looking for one like this to replace it with, as mine has been absolutely fantastic! But alas, amazon's now saying it's temporarily unavailable! That's quite unfair amazon! How naughty of you!! Please get this one back in stock as soon as you can, and you'll definately have a sale out of me! The print is fantastic, and it also doubles as a full colour photocopier aswell! Certainly, there has been no better competition for this one from any other brand as far as I've seen, and I want it back!!