on 3 December 2009
i realy enjoyed my recent purchase of starsky and hutch . when i was growing up in the 70 s one of my favourite programes was starsky and hutch .watching it again brought back fond memories ,i love it as much now as i did back then .the 2 cops are brillant they bring action ,comedy and fantastic stories that make this a great show. i would recomend starsky and hutch to anyone .
on 31 May 2011
The box set contains all 92 episodes that ran for just about 4 years. I am pleasantly surprised at the high picture quality of the DVD's and it's such a great reminder to see them again, having first seen Series one in 1976. They are as I recall them, classic cop drama's hitting on some very important and serious issues. For their time they were years ahead and today retain their age very well because of that. However what sets Starsky and Hutch apart from other Police drama's is the special relationship David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser were able to put into their characters. They worked precisely as a team, each knowing what the other would do in a given situation. They were best friends and yet argued like Brother's, but whatever there was always plenty of humour. The whole set are all very entertaining and well worth purchasing.
on 24 November 2011
The first two series were as good as anything but concerns about the level of violence on the show including Paul Michale Glaser himself being worried about the "body count" led to a dramatic toning down of the story content after the second series with much more emphasis on the relationship between the two lead characters and more social awareness stories. Sadly for the series the that meant a massive fall in quality and from then on it was never the same. Series 4 was very lame apart from the three parter "targets without a badge" and it was wise to end the series at that point. The dvd gets an ok on the strength of the first two series
55 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 June 2009
I am a life long fan of the dynamic duo. To have the whole four series is a dream come true. Great viewing and lots of memories. A must for true fans. Definitely well worth the money.
on 29 November 2015
This is a brilliant TV Series but my only complaint about this is the boxing it was presented in. When we take a disc out, each disc is tightly packed into a slot and when we slide the disc out and later slide it back in after use, the cardboard is slightly marking the discs each time. I'd rather have the case design where there's a plastic plate stuck to the cardboard and we unclip the discs and clip them back in place.
on 1 March 2016
The discs seem poor copies in that some episodes will not play, they continually freeze up. Episodes not at all watchable were blindfold and dandruff, which are season 4.

The packaging is also poor, just cardboard to slip the discs into. Which means they get scratched, and were scratched when I got them out if the case.

Amazon were so helpful and sent me two replacements, but these were the same if not worse, some of the discs were loose in case. Did try these in two different dvd players, so that's not the problem. Thankfully Amazon gave me a full refund, so can not fault their customer service.

However, from what I did watch the programme is still great. The first and second series are so much better that 3 and 4, where they seem to be constantly undercover in some strange situation. Personally the worst episode for me to was season 3s voodoo island.

Hopefully if you do buy it, you will be able to play all the discs!
on 9 August 2007
This is a partial review as it will take me a long time to get round to watching all the episodes of the 4 series! I have watched 9 episodes of series 1 so far and am pleased.

The quality is good, remembering this programme was made in the '70s. It's not widescreen though the menus are (so on my TV I just leave it in 4:3 mode because it doesn't matter that the menus looked squished.)

The packaging is funky but very nice - cardboard outer with 2 digipacks and insert booklets. The clips which hold the discs aren't great but your discs can't actually fall out unless you were to maybe hold up the digipack and shake it around!

My only gripe is each disc (so far) is encoded with english subtitles engaged by default but it's a not a big problem because as soon as you turn them to 'off' (just a couple of presses on the remote control, not exactly a chore) then it's OK for all the episodes on the disc (unless you eject or power down your DVD player.)

The first series is a bit cheesy and I think at the time they were trying to promote harmony between 'african-americans' and 'white-americans' (sorry if that doesn't sound very PC, I don't know what the latest terms are..?!) as captain Dobey is actually quite pally with S & H, and of course so is Huggy. The theme music on the episodes I've watched is pre the famous theme tune and from what I remember of my youth the show was a bit grittier so I think (hope) the later series' will contain more 'mature ' episodes.

So for anyone in their 30s (I'm 36) who was a big fan of S & H as a little 'un, and if you can spare some time each week to watch a few episodes, then this is a massive bargain at less than 30 quid (less than a night out!)
on 18 January 2016
Fantastic set packaging a little let down in the fact its flimsy so i haven't marked this will full stars but does look good in bright red, discs all laid out nice inside but for me the pictures from this 1974 series is brilliant so very clear and sounds good to, i didn't expect the picture quality to have been cleaned up but it has, brilliant series and was a great price to.
on 20 April 2009
I loved this show first time around. OK it's dated now, the action sequences are phoney, the acting's corny and the clothes are dreadful. But it's got one of TV's coolest cars (the Ford Gran Torino), 4 great theme tunes, and it's a great trip down memory lane for us 40 something's and it's retro. Just wish they'd release the complete 'Hill Street Blues' and 'NYPD Blue' as well.
44 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2007
I thought after buying all four series for £15 each in the sale, that I got a bargain, but then this happens.
The original Starksy & Hutch series is a definate must buy. It has action mixed in with some memorable stories that I still remember after all these year's.
The success of the series is all down to the key character's. David Soul (Hutch) and Paul Michael Glazer are extremely good in there roles. They make the series a real good thing to watch with laced in funny moments and sentimental bits aswell. I enjoyed them so much, I'm starting up again at the beginning soon. I've even passed a series onto my brother who has also enjoyed them very much.
It takes a while to get through them all if you're going to watch one or two a week. You will dread coming to end of the final series.