4.0 out of 5 stars An ideal monopod head

Published on 15 Nov. 2010 by Ben Cleuch

4.0 out of 5 stars An ideal monopod head, 23 April 2009
Andrew Fraser "Andy80F" (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release (Electronics)
I bought this head to replace the head on an old trusty monopod and bring it into line with the quick release on my tripod (a Manfrotto). It is an adeal monopod head, simple, sturdy and not too costly. The quick release can be locked into place should you wish a bit of extra security when carrying your camera about on the monopod but is really secure enough without the lock. There's little to say about such an uncomplicated piece of kit but its worth the cost over cheaper makes and will probably last a very long time.

Andy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of gear., 2 Aug. 2009
N. Whelan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release (Electronics)
I purchased this earlier this year along with a manfrotto monopod for a fashion shoot I was doing. I was surprised at how sturdy it was - absolutely rock solid. It wouldn't give even a fraction of a centimeter in wobble or shake.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars good head, 1 July 2009
D. Calow "Kazuya" (nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release (Electronics)
with this head you can take portrait as well as landscape pics when using manfrotto monopods, the quick release system also works with the bigger tripods, so you can just leave the quick release on the camera all the time

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant teamwork, 4 Jun. 2009
L'Escargot (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release
Iwas directed to the quick-release head for the monopod and am I glad. The monopod can be used perfectly well without but the quick-release head makes it infinitely more available. Bought both to team with my digital SLR
(Fuji S5Pro) and a 400mm lens as I was going on a trip to Zambia. This involved several dawn/dusk safari trips in the back of an open-topped Landcruiser and the Manfrotto combo was perfect. As a result I was able to capture some stunning shots of wildlife which would have been nigh impossible otherwise. The pity is that it was not offered as a package in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and easy to use, 5 Oct. 2009
Dean Prime (Buckingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release (Electronics)
This piece of kit is strong and well made. I bought it to go with my Velbon Ultra Stick 50LX Monopod and it works like a dream.

It has a smooth 90 degree tilt operation, great for portrait shooting, and certainly does allow for a 'Quick Release'. It attaches firmly to both my Monopod and my Canon digital SLR camera and has a secondary locking switch to help guard against quick releasing my hard earned money straight on to the ground.

I feel it was well worth the investment for improving the operation of my monopod.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid investment, 16 Oct. 2009
Keep Smiling! (Hertfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release (Electronics)
This is a fairly weighty item compared to the plastic thing I previously used on my monopod, but it's certainly a lot more solid - as one would expect from Manfrotto. The quick release shoe fits firmly onto my camcorder and snaps simply onto the head. It feels totally secure, with or without the extra lock. The tilt is smooth and easily held in position by the wheeled nut (which, alas, does get in the way a bit if I want to hold the camera like I would normally). The all-metal construction looks like it'll last a lifetime. It was pricey, although by no means the most expensive around, but I'm sure my steady video shots will confirm that it was a wise investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars impressed, 6 Sept. 2009
G. Crowley "taffy" (Swansea UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release (Electronics)
Coupled with the Manfrotto monopod, this has helped add a new dimension to my photographic ability. Very easy and quick to use with monopod. Could not be more pleased at this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need, 23 Nov. 2012
Jonathan Gazeley "dj_judas21" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release (Electronics)
I bought this head for a Manfrotto monopod. It's the most basic monopod head but I can't see why you'd need anything more for monopod use. If anything, I'd be happier if it didn't even have the tilt adjustment and was fixed in position.

The build quality is good and solid and easily holds a heavy camera and lens. It was important to me to get the rectangular quick-release plate so I can keep the same plate on my cameras and use them with the compatible head on my Manfrotto tripod.

The monopod head mounts onto the monopod with a standard 1/4" tripod screw. This means it will fit on any other tripod or monopod from any manufacturer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, but not quite as well engineered as it first looks, 15 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release (Electronics)
I bought this for use with a Manfrotto monopod for when I was visiting Yellowstone, it worked OK initially, the QR being a boon when switching between hand-held & supported shots. Changing between landscape & portrait was fairly easy, just by re-aligning the baseplate as per the markings on its underside. This meant I was regularly loosening & retightening the screw, which probably contributed to my point below.

The downside is the method Manfrotto have adopted for retaining the screw within the baseplate - rather than have the hole only slightly larger than the thread, they have opted to use a thin washer to support the circlip. On my model this deformed, was pulled through the plate and interfered with the locking mechanism, to the extent my camera fell to the ground when I was walking, fortunately on springy grass, so no damage was done.
I have now fitted a full thickness washer, but the base of the camera is now slightly proud of the rubber surface of the baseplate. I can (& will) machine the recess to take this thicker washer, but Manfrotto should have got the design right from the start - I suspect they have cut costs by using the same QR baseplate for larger diameter screws.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential basiic equipment for video cameras, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release (Electronics)
Home video footage is often spoiled by hand shake. Ideally all video should be taken using a tripod but where this is impractical, a monopod is much better than nothing. This head is strong and holds the quick release plate in a lockable grip. It will tilt forwards and backwards but not sideways. Sideways tilting can be done by moving the monopod.

The head is quite heavy considering its size but this helps to keep the camera stable. I have used the head for 2 years and would not be without it and my Manfrotto 790B monopod (current version Manfrotto MMC3-01 Compact Monopod - Black). A very good buy.

Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release