5.0 out of 5 stars No more lost cats or collars!
I've just bought the Locator Plus for keeping track of my two cats after having used the Loc8tor Lite for the past few weeks.
Published on 19 April 2012 by loobylooo

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for tracking kids
I bought, evaluated and returned my Loc8tor within two weeks!

Published on 13 Aug 2008 by Sean Herring

5.0 out of 5 stars No more lost cats or collars!, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Loc8tor Plus - Portable Tracking & Homing Device (Accessory)
My cats only wear breakaway collars (recommended by my vet as opposed to the elasticated variety which can prove dangerous if the cats get caught in trees etc..), but their breakaway collars were coming off in other people's gardens that I sometimes couldn't gain access to. As a result, I was in danger of running out of spare tag options because a maximum of only 4 tags can be registered on the `Lite' version at any one time. The `Loc8tor Plus' solves that problem as it can register up to 24 tags.

The wonderful thing about the Loc8tor units is that my cats are now trained to come to me when I try to locate them. A couple of days before they were allowed out, I would set the tags on their collars to locate by selecting the `locate' option on my Loc8tor that their tag is registered to - their tag beeps and flashes and I would give them a small treat initially. They soon began to cotton on, associating a treat and come running to me when their tag beeped, even when they happen to be in earshot of the other cat's collar beeping instead of their own!!
I now use the Loc8tor to get them in for their meals and night time.

As my cats have only just started going outside, they are naturally inquisitive about investigating sheds, garages or any other similar places where they might become trapped. On one such occasion, their second day of freedom, one of my cat's tags wasn't picking up a signal but on walking around my local area, eventually her tag began to register. She was found stuck 30 ft up a tree miaowing pitifully and had to be coaxed down! Now in such instances, I feel happier knowing that I don't have to worry unnecessarily as there is a chance that I might be able to find them.

I haven't been able to track the cats or lost collars to the maximum distance range stated by both units yet because where I live there are so many fences, trees and properties in my area which cut the range down. However, that hasn't prevented me finding all the original and spare lost collars numerous times (one 5ft up a conifer tree and even in a 5 inch gap beneath a raised shed!), by pointing the Loc8tor towards the front of the properties' grounds that my cats might have frequented. It's also a great way of meeting neighbours in my surrounding area - five different lots up until now who have so far been really helpful as well as amazed at how clever the Loc8tor unit is when it tracks collars down in some very obscure places!

I must also recommend specifically the `Loc8tor Pet Splash tag covers' which can be bought seperately and slide easily lengthways onto their collars, providing a rubberised waterproof jacket for the tag. This has proved invaluable for one of the lost collars which I couldn't access for five days in someone's garden. By the time I got to it, it had rained for several days, a fox must have gone off with the collar and left the partly eaten splash tag cover, but the tag inside remained unscathed and is still working today!

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for tracking kids, 13 Aug 2008
Sean Herring (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought, evaluated and returned my Loc8tor within two weeks!

I wanted it for tracking my 6yr old for our upcoming holidays. I tried the unit on a local farm where she could run about while I got used to the unit. It says in the manual that the range is reduced by objects in the way. It should say DRAMATICALLY reduced! She stood the other side of a hedge 12ft away and it couldn't find her!

I'm sure the product is fine if you want to track lost car keys, but please don't buy it for tracking kids.

One other word of warning, if you do buy one, be careful who you buy it from. My experience is that some 'Sellers' are reluctant to take them back even though it doesn't do what it says on the box.

I think there is certainly a gap in the market for a product like this and I'll be the first to buy one when one comes out, but sadly this isn't it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good gadget, 6 Feb 2008
Andrew Moore "Mac User" (Cowes, Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought the Loc8tor to try and keep tabs on the whereabouts of my new kitten.

I am pretty impressed with this purchase and it seems to perform the task of 'feline location' quite well. The tags are about the right size and my little kitten doesn't seem to mind it on his collar. I haven't had to use the locating capability in earnest but, after testing, my feeling is that one needs to use the on-screen visuals in conjunction with the audible beeping in order to minimise the time it takes to locate whatever it is you have a tag attached to.

Each tag can be named on the location unit (e.g. cat, keys, car keys etc) which is handy. When you initialize a search, the unit sends out a signal to the tag which makes it flash an LED and beep. This makes cat-location at night easier.

I have knocked off a couple of stars on my rating because the location unit is rather plasticy. Also, I think the price is on the high side.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made and overpriced, 5 Jan 2010
A. Wilcher (UK) - See all my reviews
Tuesday 05 January 2010 22:36

Very disappointing. Would not recommend to anyone for any locator purpose! Product is very poorly made - flimsey, delicate and inadequate. The homing device worked twice but the red locator tag only once - then failed. Trouble is, until one actually purchases a device and holds it, is the quality apparent. So I rate this as an over-priced flimsey idea cunningly turned into a piece of manufactured rubbish!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design, 6 Dec 2009
I. Murray (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
We got one of these a few years ago and its the worst product we have bought in a long time, its not that it does not work its just not reliable, the small and fragile Tags are the real issue they are extremely flimsy and have Zero waterproofing, so if you drop your Keys with the Tag Attached they can easily break. And when you complain to the company , they say that they should not be dropped, who has a set of keys and can say they have never dropped them? The product is just not fit for purpose ie as a location device for keys. I really don't think it's worth the money and they really should come up with something that can work in the real world. I can imagine if I fitted one to our pet Springer Spaniel they life expectancy would be very short.

4.0 out of 5 stars Saves time & frustration, 18 April 2007
Perdimia (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
If you're like me and always lose your keys, PDA or even your memory stick, this is the gaget for you. I just put the tags on all my important stuff keys, mobile etc, and when I can't find them I just press the button and it gives me a distance and a direction to head in, and when I get closer I can hear the tag beep.

I've had it two months and can't imagine (hate to imagine) being without it again, it has saved me so much time and so many arguments about where I left stuff and if someone moved it that it is worth its weight twice over in gold.

Fantastic product, the extra tags are a little expensvie at 12.50 each however.

1.0 out of 5 stars Impressed at first, but later changed my mind, 15 July 2012
This product only works if the object is static, like a bunch of keys. It's not much use when a child is moving around. My children were wearing the armbands at Whipsnade Zoo and I lost my eldest four year old. Loc8tor Plus was no use at all. The range is too limited, the directoral indicator is too vague and the biggest obstable is the fact that you, as a parent, are in a state of panic and cannot calmly walk around looking at a device trying to coax it into operation whilst you child is running around lost and you really need to be using you eyes. In the end, I contacted security and they alerted all staff, who managed to find my child in five minutes (she had run to the Bouncy Castle about 200 metres away). On that day I lost my children five times in all (I was on my own) and found then using my eyes on all but one occasion. Please don't fool yourself into thinking this will solve the problem of a lost child. That is marketing hype and this product isn't accurate enough to work for that purpose.

The other problem is that the batteries run down so quickly due to a rather poorly designed system that lets this happen. On the next occasion I wanted to use the device (some two weeks later) ALL the batteries on all the devices had run down! So you need to replace the batteries on a monthly basis presumably - whether you use the device or not.

Needless to say, this device is now consigned to the attic. I have used the wristbands (bought seperately) to write my mobile phone number onto and put then on my childrens wrists when we go out (like this weekend when we went to a music festival). This low tech solution seems to be the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars saved my cat's life!!, 3 Jun 2010
Thank goodness we had a functioning loc8tor tag attached to our young cat. Neighbours, working on their house, had opened up a hole for gas pipes, he had snuck in to investigate, they had sealed it up and he was trapped under the floorboards. After 2 days frantic searching he was located when I went to their front gate (I was going door to door trying to find him) and my loc8tor handheld started beeping and guided me to a very dustry, tired and thirsty cat under the boards. They told me that had he not been found he would probably have been trapped there - they were about to lay solid wood flooring over the whole lot.

Sure it does have its limitations, but for the price I think it is a great device and has proved invaluable to us when tracking our free range moggies.

One improvement I would suggest is a hook for a lanyard. If you drop these they are very fragile and smash apart easily (I have already lost one this way) a neck lanyard would be very useful when out and about. It is frustrating that the range isn't better in built up areas, but I take this into account and if I am searching for a cat I get as close to buildings as I can (without trespassing of course) it is also useful for helping to retrieve lost collars, not to mention keys, mobiles etc The batteries run out fairly quickly which is another expense but again it is worth it for the peace of mind.

1.0 out of 5 stars Over-hyped product with an over-hyped price to match, 2 Jan 2011
Although I didn't buy the Loc8tor Plus pack via Amazon ( I would have absolutely have done so if I could have waited) as I needed to get one straight away for one of my many cats, I thought I was buying the answer to my problems of straying moggies and was very excited at the prospect of having peace of mind at last, to say that its claims regarding range have proved to be very disappointing indeed are an understatement and my own expression of feelings of sheer frustration on this subject would never get through normal censorship - just about ANY obstacle reduces the effective range and when my cats are in neighbouring gardens, unless I actually trespass in my neighbour's garden the thing is a complete waste of time in terms of getting a signal at all, and I have to be in a direct line of sight with a range of around 10 metres to get any result.

When my "problem cat" strays, I have to take the unit and systematically go up and down driveways, through gardens,alleys and streets without getting any signal to pick up from my errant feline - it's a real wonder I haven't been at worst arrested for acting suspiciously or at least branded as the local crackpot by my neighbours and the public in general - having said that when I do get (very) close, it has worked, so at least having it is better than not, but it's not the panacea it is cracked up to be!!!

The most you can say is that if you're "warm" i.e. your pet/child is very very near, it can act as an audible assistance to your eyes to help find them, but if you're "cold" i.e. not right next to your target, you won't hear a peep from your Loc8tor, just an annoying message advising you to move closer to it (but which way/where's closer? aarrrrggghhhh!!!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the peace of mind I hoped for., 19 Oct 2007
Fears of losing a child drove me to wonder why there were no personal locators on the market. I trawled the internet and found the Loc8tor.
I wasn't too convinced how useful it would be and the reviews were 'mixed'. However, once found I couldn't *not* buy it just in case.
Once it arrived it seemed quite flimsy for the price. The detection range is shortened considerably. The locating is more difficult than I thought although you do find it eventually (its a bit like player warmer/colder).
The 'out of range' feature is useful but can sometimes go off on its own. So far it has been used as a high-priced hide-and-seek device.
The emitter also needs to be smuggled into my child's clothing or else its a great plaything.
I hope it's never needed for anything more serious than finding keys.. which it works OK for.
Vigilance is still top priority when it comes to the kids.

Loc8tor Plus - Portable Tracking & Homing Device