4.0 out of 5 stars Nothings perfect...
Let me open by saying this camera is an extremely good buy and I would recommend it to anyone! I just upgraded from its predecessor (the DSC-N1) which was also fantastic!

Published on 11 April 2007 by Adam Kemp

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony N2
Published on 11 Jan 2007 by Mr. Christopher Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothings perfect..., 11 April 2007
Adam Kemp (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DSC-N2 Digital Camera (10.1MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 3.0" LCD (Electronics)

This camera is good for amateurs through to professionals. Its size provides simple portability and its weight is a perfect complement yet the list of features is huge. The camera is solidly built and just has a feel of quality about it, the 3'' crystal clear touch screen is revolutionary as it saves the need for masses of buttons and switches which maintains the attractiveness.

Features of interest include a higher ISO setting than the DSC-N1 which allows up to 1600 for very dark conditions. I have been making great use of the long exposure settings to capture stunning pictures in the dark or just to produce a very abstract piece of art. As expected there is the option of a forced flash, no flash, or auto flash, however there is a slow synchro too. Whereas amateurs may be better sticking to the auto function or the range of pre-programmed settings for events such as fireworks, beaches, or twilights there is also a fully manual, program, or high sensitivity function for the intermediate to professional photographer. This provides the user with extremely versatile equipment which rivals the abilities of a digital SLR.

The Carl Zeiss lens paired with a 10.1MP resolution awards the user with a masterpiece time after time. There is an option to use a lower resolution, take a photo for an email or even take a 16:9 image for use with a HDTV. An additional benefit of this is it can save memory as the picture takes up less space on the pro duo card.

A surprising extra to this superb camera is the video recording function. Most cameras predominately focus on high quality of images and then add a video option. Sony seems to have focused on not only their quality of images but on their video too. Obviously this is no match for a camcorder but I am sure you will be amazed at the quality such a compact manages to deliver when it comes to recording videos with sound.

I feel the pros outweigh the cons by a mile but I have highlighted the main points so you can decide for yourself.

Cons:

Pictures can be grainy when using higher ISO settings

Processing time on long exposures is lengthy

Small internal memory

Could incorporate a higher optical zoom

Camera must be steady during shots with no flash

Pros:

Battery life

Portability

Touch screen

Overall quality of pictures

Extensive features

Price

Video quality surprising for a digital camera

I recommend you accompany this product with at least a 1GB Sony pro duo memory card, a screen protector, and a carry case. I also bought a spare battery for when I go out on lengthy trips just in case.

Conclusion - Sony have produced a perfect camera for taking out for the night, taking on holiday, or even getting professional shots. The price is very reasonable with the sheer quality you are getting for it. Everything has a downside so I give this camera 4.5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Treasure!, 12 Jan 2007
I absolutely love this camera! It's the best thing I have bought in ages. I haven't had a proper chance to explore it in-depth as yet but I have experimented with taking photos and using different formats such as colours etc. The quality of this camera is outstanding. The pictures I have taken have been unbelievably clear and exact. The 3" LCD screen is a little godsend in itself. It means that you can view photos clearly without having to put them onto the computer first. On one occassion my partner accidentally knocked my hand whilst I was taking a photo and still, the picture was clear and precise. I would highly recommend this camera. I've not got a huge amount of experience with cameras and photography but the people around me who have are hugely impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars From an amatuer point of view, 13 Oct 2007
L. Hughes "Louise" (Lancashire, UK.) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera around 8 months a go from Amazon and I have to say that initially I absolutely loved the device. You certainly can tell the difference in the quality of the images compared to my previous five cameras (which were all Casio or Canon) and the touch screen display is very easy to use and handy! The one thing that let the camera down for me was the unreliability of the device. Several of my friends and family have the same model and on occassions the retractable lence would jam, the camera would not switch on (despite charged) or failure messages would come on screen. I must add this was an occassional problem for us all but was a little frustrating if you want to get a quick snap.

I am a novice with cameras and just like a model that looks good, produces good quality photographs and is simple to use. This camera does all those things and should satisfy the needs of most. However, don't buy just because its a Sony as I feel that you could meet the same criteria with another big branded name for less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing image quality, 28 Aug 2007
This has been the perfect camera for me as a total novice: easy to use, giant screen, superb picture quality no matter what the lighting or how unsteady my hand is. I've never been one to take photos because they always disappointed - now I take photos at every opportunity because I know I'll get some really good ones. I would recommend that if you buy this camera, you also buy a camera case as we didn't bother and the screen got scratched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera! Lives up to all expectations!, 10 July 2007
The Sony DSC-N2 is an excellent camera overall. There many reasons why I have given this camera a 5 star rating including:

Image Quality: The image quality is superb with max 10 million pixels. You can use it indoors or outdoors and all images come out like masterpieces.

Screen: The camera has a massive 3" screen which is also a touchscreen. Viewing photos on this high quality screen is a pleasure. The 3"/touchscreen also make this camera unique in a competitive market. The virtual buttons are big and clear and the layout is user-friendly.

Overall this camera is excellent value for money and you will not regret buying it. Its not the slimmest camera but is very well designed and built. It is truly special and has the WOW factor.

Highly Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointed, 3 Aug 2007
A. Choudry (Scotland, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I purchased this camnera online a few weeks ago from Amazon.

On the whole I feel that the camera is just average:

Firstly, for a ten megapixel sony camera, I was expecting fabulous results. Unfortunately, the camera yielded pictures of quality that are not any better than the previous the 6 MP Konica Minolta that I used to use.

I also feel that the start up time is far too lengthy. Starting up the camera without a memory stick pro duo card take just over a second. However once i've inserted my 4GB card it takes 7 seconds, which is extremely aggravating.

Thirdly, I feel that the purple fringing on some images is excessive.

Finally, I've noticed that the camera doesn't seem to reproduce colour as 'truly' as expected.

To sum up, with the exception of the seven second start up time the, many of the other cons rarely crop up. They have merely been mentioned, as i expected better quality images from a sony.

On the flip side, the camera does generally produce okay images for that of an amateur, for an intermediate photographer i would suggest buying another.

It is superbly easy to use, which I find typical of a sony product.

And has a multitude of functions which can be used to 'enhance' your images.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic good quality product, 13 Sep 2012
i bought this camera from here and lost it and went on to buy another one. its excellent does what it says on the box

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 6 April 2011
i have had this product for ages.... finally got round to reviewing it. awesome little camera. best value camera ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars it have some very useful features, it is very handy and ever ready, 18 Aug 2014
I still used this camera, it have some very useful features, it is very handy and ever ready.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony N2, 11 Jan 2007
In general it is a very good camera. But, a lot of the pictures ive taken have come out a bit blury. They are not as crisp/sharp in detail as they should be. I also have a 5MP camera, just an average one & its pictures are much more detailed & sharp. I think Sony should make sure all of its cameras have anti blur or what ever its called to make the pictures a lot clearer. I was expecting something FABULOUS. Oh well.