4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent no brainer
Funny how these films divide opinion, I thought super troopers was rubbish and turned it off half way thorugh, but this I found hilarious for the most part. Probably because I love beer so much myself. Mmmmn beer...

Published on 30 Mar. 2011 by Sandman

2.0 out of 5 stars Well what you see is what you get
This film promises beer chugging galore from the start, and if you want to see a drinking team compete against other drinking team consuming amounts of alcohol that would definitely kill you then this is what you get. What do you expect? A story line to talk about? Outstanding performances? Some people just don't understand the meaning of chug-a-lug lol.

On a...
Published on 8 Jun. 2009 by Joshua Wragg

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent no brainer, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Beerfest: Uncut [DVD] [2006] (DVD)

Of course its not a brilliant piece of cinema hstory or anything, its a puerile comedy best watched whilst getting drunk yourself, but it has good laughs all the way through, and some truly brilliant moments, like the surreal underground passageway that leads to beerfest, and every bit that Jurgen Procknow is in. How great is it that such a brilliant actor with classics like Das Boot behind him can parody himself and the German sterotype is a film like this?

A few stupid things, like the ridiculous fake accents the English have - why couldnt they find any number of real drunk Englishmen to take part in this?! But overall a little known gem of a comedy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprise Comedic Classic, 5 April 2008
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Story: Jan and Todd Wolfhouse travel to Germany with the intention of spreading their Grandfathers ashes. While doing so they stumble upon a secret Beer competition, held in the secret fashion of Fight Club but with Beer games between international teams. Jan and Todd discover there isn't an American team and on challenging the Germans they are humiliated. When the brothers arrive home they decide to put together their own beer drinking team to return to the festival and get revenge on the Germans. We are then introduced to Landfill, Barry & Fink who take us on a hysterical ride whilst they train for the competition.

The Review: I must admit when I started watching this film I didn't expect much, in fact I expected it to just be another attempt at re-inventing the classic, slightly immature comedy style created by American Pie. I was truly mistaken as from the get go I was laughing out loud from start to finish, with the one liners and slapstick silliness. Aside from the main characters Todd & Jan, the secondary characters have some of the more memorable moments. Great Gam Gam with her unintentional inuendos, Barry with his un-matched hand eye co-ordination and Fink who has the "Eye of the Jew."
This film has everything that a fan of these types of movies would want. Nudity, Great characters and satirical stereotypes. The Germans are simply the most amusing as they're the stereotype of what you would consider a German to be, Loud, obnoxious and arrogant.
I absolutely loved this film, it was a genuine surprise to see a film like this come into its own. The lack of plot may disappoint people, but if you're watching a film of this genre you can't really expect much of a plot line.
If you watch this film with an open mind, with a big group of friends then I promise it will be an enjoyable experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Beerfest: Uncut [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I think the German accents are Hilarious, however others do not share my high praise - maybe they are right - or maybe they are just dead inside. We are but products of our experiences.

2.0 out of 5 stars Well what you see is what you get, 8 Jun. 2009
Joshua Wragg "Wraggaldinho" (derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beerfest: Uncut [DVD] [2006] (DVD)

On a serious note as a film it wasn't of a brilliant quality, and although the beer idea was a good one, it could've been executed better. But who cares who it's executed when there is beer to be drunk!?

4.0 out of 5 stars just enjoy the silly gags., 2 Nov. 2007
Mr. D. Thompson "dan" (leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beerfest: Uncut [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
at first i hated this film - i thought it was purile and very low brow humour. after a while i just gave up and immersed myself in its silly nature. Now i cant wait to watch it again!

if you like the idea of some american misfits competing against the germans in a beer drinking competitions and the sort of jokes that go with it - then sit back grab a beer and dont think about it too much! not an oscar winner by a long stretch but good fun with your mates.

4.0 out of 5 stars not embarassed that i loved it!, 18 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Beerfest: Uncut [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I was expecting nothing more than a moderately funny typical american comedy with loads of semi naked women and men trying to get laid, to be honest that was what had put me off from seeing this, but i decided to put myself through it finally! it was hilarious!!although american's opinion of how we brits talk was pretty unrealistic, it was a genuinely good attempt!i really liked it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Film Ever, 28 Dec. 2007
D. White (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beerfest: Uncut [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Had to load this film 3 times as I kept falling asleep during it, but was determined to reach the end. This has got to be rated the worst film that I have ever watched - not funny, stupid plot (if that's what you call it) - just simply crass.

I was expecting something along the lines of Porky's or Animal House - this "film" definately does not deliver on this level.

4.0 out of 5 stars [3.5]--I Took this movie for what it is, 25 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Beerfest: Uncut [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I have considered myself a fan since seeing "Super Troopers" for the first time and "Beerfest" is filled with the Broken Lizard style of humor. Some of it is intentionally silly, such as the German brothers named Hammacher and Schlemmer. At other times, it's raunchy. One of the best examples of this is an extended sequence in which a drunken Barry picks up and beds a woman. We first see the event take place through his beer goggles, then again in reality. He envisions himself as a smooth-talking stud, like Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever," but really he's slurring his speech and wearing an empty beer box on his head.

This kind of thing represents Broken Lizard comedy at its best. Part of what I like about the group is that they aren't afraid to teeter the line of decency or good taste. Their movies are gleefully profane, this one in particular as it is filled with nudity, sexual humor, and rampant substance abuse. That doesn't mean I enjoy this sort of thing for its own sake (because I don't) but such take-no-prisoners humor can have a big payoff when done right. In each of their films, the comedians have managed at least a few of those payoffs, and this one is no different. I laughed loudly during certain scenes.

While "Beerfest" has moments where the troupe is at its peak, the movie also exemplifies some of their biggest weaknesses. One of the things I've noticed is that only three out of the five members are really funny. Kevin Heffernan is the funniest; he's kind of like a much edgier John Candy. Jay Chandrasekhar (who directed all the Broken Lizard films as well as The Dukes of Hazzard) possesses a perfect sense of comic delivery, both in his verbal execution of lines and in his physical gestures. Steve Lemme, meanwhile, is gifted at disappearing into characters, Mike Myers-style. Erik Stolhanske and Paul Soter are by no means untalented, but they get a significantly smaller laugh ratio than their counterparts. And they're technically the leads in this movie.

A bigger problem that has also plagued Club Dread is that the Lizards are too in love with their own material. "Beerfest" runs an unconscionable 110 minutes, which is way too long for this thin premise. There just isn't enough inherent comedy in beer drinking contests or German jokes to warrant such a length. The film should reasonably run somewhere between 80 and 90 minutes. By dragging on for almost two hours, it starts to wear out its welcome. There's an old slogan for a popular beer company: "Tastes great, less filling." Beerfest would certainly have tasted better had it been less filling by about 30 minutes. Other than that Broken Lizard need a sterner guiding hand to streamline their material, but their third film is amusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars you want to watch this movie, your eyes will thank you, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Beerfest (Amazon Instant Video)
One of the best films ever made. You laugh, you cry, you drink. It's like everything you want in life in a movie only betterer.

1.0 out of 5 stars I need a beer, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Beerfest (Amazon Instant Video)
Humour is subjective, like most things in life. But I just wondered where the humour was in this film, it's fair to say I only watched around 38 minutes of this and it might have improved[ could hardly not do], but I wasn't prepared to find out if it did.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Beerfest: Uncut [DVD] [2006]
Beerfest: Uncut [DVD] [2006] by Jay Chandrasekhar (DVD - 2006)