5.0 out of 5 stars The birth of an unintentional comic genius, 8 Dec 2008
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
These CDs contain the first series of Ricky Gervais's record breaking podcast. The CD contains all 12 episodes of the podcasts that were downloaded more than any other podcasts on the internet. Each episode is about 30 minutes long and has Ricky Gervais, Steve Merchant and the brilliant Karl pilkington. Karl was Ricky and Steves producer when they had a radio show on a London radio station and they found that he had a weird almost childlike view on the world and the things living in it. Ricky then decided to share the gift of Karls genius to the world in the form of a series of podcasts, the first series of which is on the CD. Each episode basically takes the form of Ricky and Steve asking Karl questions about the world and karl giving his unintentionaly funny answers. Karl also tells stories to Ricky and Steve in the form of monkey news which are all outrageous stories that involve a monkey of some sort. If you have never heard of Karl Pilkington, then where have you been and you need to buy this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest thing you'll ever hear, 9 Sep 2007
Lewis Spindlove (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
I don't actually own this particular item but I downloaded all of the podcasts that these CDs are based on when they were originally released.

I listen to them all the time, especially when driving. They're usually around 30 minutes long and consist mainly of Ricky and Steve setting up Karl with philosophical debates, usually about nothing interesting in particular (i.e. Karl, what would you do if you were a slug?) and mocking his hilariously stupid responses. From not understanding simple things such as 'a stitch in time saves nine' to discussing his inventions such as a watch that acts as a death clock that works by 'popping it on your wrist'.

I have been seen crying with laughter at these. You can probably find a preview of them on iTunes too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will have people in the car next to you wondering what the hell you're laughing at, 10 Aug 2007
T. M. Rogers (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
Unlike the previous reviewee I have actually listened to this and it is very amusing. Ricky Gervais is more irritating than funny and if it was just him then it would be tedious. What makes this special is a chap called Karl Pilkington, who has obviously been dropped on his head as a baby (repeatedly). Basically Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant (who is very funny) ask Karl about his views on life and then take the piss out of them, you have to hear it to believe it. I would heartily recommend that you buy this, your car journeys will fly by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
Love these guys, Brought this as a gift for my parents and they love it. Can listen to them over and over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars gervais, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
if you like ricky gervais then this is for you good service and lots of enjoyment for my son who is a great fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awesome!, 18 Nov 2010
M SMITH (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
I have been a huge fan of Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington since thier days at XFM. This CD boxset is fantastic to have in the car as it makes any long journey fly by. Although be prepared to get some funny looks from other motorists as your wetting yourself with laughter at the complete drivel that comes out of these guys mouths.

I have every single podcast and audiobook they have ever done on my iphone, and although this CD is mostly the best bits from Series 1 of the Ricky Gervais show, the unreleased bonus material is brilliant.

Definatley a laugh a minute must have for the glovebox!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation - absolutely astonishingly funny even after all this time, 24 Dec 2008
M. Appleton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
If you haven't heard of Karl Pilkington, he's a Mancunian radio producer who worked with Ricky and Steve on XFM and was discovered by them to have the most extraordinary opinions ever held by man. This is a selection of material from the podcasts which basically consist of Ricky and Steve metaphorically poking Karl with a stick to see what comes out of his mouth.

I have every minute of Karl's material on my computer and I put them on automatically whenever I use it. I used to listen to it in the car until I was once seized by a laughter attack of such severity that I had to pull in before I crashed - seriously. Some of his musings are truly astonishing and make one wonder how they have been formed, the most famous example being "you never see and old man eating a Twix".

As if KP's opinions weren't funny enough, Ricky's reactions are beyond hilarious - he actually falls out of his chair at some of Karl's utterances, accompanied by his inhumanly manic laughter.

I really can't get across how funny this man is, but if you have seen the Politics special features you will get a small taste. Unlike most trade comedians, though, this never STOPS being funny.

One that just came up as I was listening: "if humans weren't around when there were dinosaurs, how did the dinsoaurs get their names?". Incredible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 6 Aug 2008
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
If you read my other reviews you will see that I do not find very many things laugh out loud funny. There are so many books and films that have quotations on the cover claiming their absolute hilarity, and warning of the side splitting dangers of reading or watching in public. In my experience these promises are never fulfilled. I am always left at least a little disappointed. These CDs on the other hand actually did make me laugh out loud, constantly. I actually pulled my car over to listen, as I was literally splitting my sides. I have not laughed so much since my school days. This for me is brilliant spontaneous comedy at its best. It is quite expensive CD but worth it. I have probably listened to it half a dozen times already and lent it to a few people, who found it equally funny. My only criticism is that Gervais seems quite hard on Karl and I'm not surprised he doesn't want to do any more. You will not be disappointed with this Podcast collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars KP NUT, 13 April 2008
S. D. Lambert "Steve Lambert" (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
This CD set is manc-tastic. This CD has ideas and views that put Einstein and Kant to shame. Any person studying philosophy should use this as a bible. Also, the CD is the same shape as Karl's head, which is also great

4.0 out of 5 stars Karl Pilkington - the Unintential Genuis, 4 Oct 2007
Mr. Damian J. McGrath (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
Karl Pilkington is a genius, and he doesn't know it. His opinions on things are almost like a child's - innocent, instant, one-dimensional, narrow-minded, but free of prejudice and social restrictions. He gives his honest opinion to everything, and normally it's hilariously funny.

This CD set shows off Karl's talents in the 3 series of Podcasts, hosted by Karl and his friends Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. Each person brings their own way of speaking and thoughts about things and if it's not Karl making you laugh, it's Ricky's infectious laugh and Steve's attempts to be cool.

Most of the podcasts are taken up with Ricky and Steve quizzing Karl with inane questions, such as "What would you do if you were a slug?", or reading from Karl's brilliantly (in a simple way) written diary.

Ricky's reaction to Karl probably makes listeners think Karl is funnier than he actually is, but he does come up with some gems from time to time.

Asked if he'd like a trip into space because the view of the Earth would be amazing from that height, Karl replies "I wouldn't like that. When I go on holiday, the journey isn't the best bet - it's what I have to do. Going into space is like one big journey without even having getting out to look forward to. If I wanted to see the view of the Earth from space, we could just put a big mirror on the Moon so I could look up and see the Earth."

Or his thoughts on jellyfish - "I found out that they are 97% water. I say just give them another 3% and make them water - they're annoying. Do we need 'em?"

From a technical viewpoint, this is fairly poor quality professionalism from Ricky especially - but it shouldn't be viewed like that. It should be viewed as three friends in a room chatting rubbish, like we all do with our friends. It just happens that Karl's opinions on the rubbish will make you laugh, either at the brilliance or the stupidity (it's a fine line)!

Ricky Gervais
Ricky Gervais by Ricky Gervais (Audio CD - 2006)