on 3 November 2006
Like all the other series this one still managed to keep me fixed to the television screen! Dean Cain plays an excellent Superman. In my 20s now I grew up with Lois and Clark - The New Adventures of Superman and it was and still is the best TV series!

Among the best episodes from the season have got to be "Swear To God, This Time We're Not Kidding" (The episode where lois and clark finally get married) and "AKA Superman" (where Jimmy's new girlfirend believes he is Superman!)

This is a must have DVD for those who enjoyed the previous 3 series. What a shame they didnt make any more!
on 24 March 2007
While I vented my spleen about the 3rd series not quite being upto scratch, this one more than made up for it. In this series Lois and Clark finally get married, although in typical Superman fashion it doesn't go smoothly.

I'd go as far as to say that series is one of the best. Some of the episodes in this are great, and many are funny, poingant and well-written. One of my favourites is an episode entitled 'AKA Superman' where Jimmy Olsens new girlfriend is convinced he's the man of steel. There is also a fantastic episode where a medium sends a Ghost round to try and spook Lois and Clark out of their new home. I can honestly say there was not one boring episode in this series and although the series ends on cliff-hanger it was thoroughly enjoyable. I wish the 5th series had panned out just to tie up some loose ends.

I am now the proud owner of all four Superman Series, and do you know what! I think its a Super-b collection to have. By the final episode you really feel as if you've seen the whole story - your super-thirst is well and truly quenched!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This was another great season. Season 3 ended with a cliff hanger, - Superman had left the earth for New Krypton, to go and save his people from a tyrant, Lord Nor. Season 4 began with a 2 episode completion of this 4 episode arc, and what a great start. Lord Nor and his cronies having heard about the luscious green Earth and the fact that they will have superpowers on earth decided that colonisation of the earth was preferable to life on the barren wasteland called New Krypton. So in the very first two episodes `Lord of the flies and Battleground Earth' the essence of the Superman legend was played out to its conclusion, with Clark aka `Ka-el' learning more about his Kryptonian origin, undergoing quick study in Kryptonian military skills to stand a chance at fighting Lord Nor.
On the romantic side of things, we finally get to see Lois and Clark get married in a beautiful but simple ceremony in the episode `Swear to God, this time we are not kidding'. This was worth the wait. There are so many great episodes, some of my other favourites include - `Soul mates' the honeymoon episode when H.G. Wells returns, - this was pure comedy but also very romantic; `Meet John Doe' and `Lois and the Clarks' the episodes where the evil Tempus (played by Lane Davis) resurfaced and banishesd Superman/Clark Kent in a time capsule; the episode `Ghosts' when Lois was possessed by an earthbound spirit; ` Bob and Carol and Lois and Clark' where Anthony Sabato jr. played the villain `death stroke' who killed his victims by magnetising the iron in their blood. We get to see Lois and Clark and Superman trying to adjust to married life like ordinary people and with dire consequences in `Sex, Lies and Videotape'
This season once again shows why this series is a classic, transcending all genres, there is something for everyone, comedy, romance, science fiction, action, drama etc. I still feel sad that the promised 5th season was cancelled but I am grateful that we now have the 4 seasons on DVD for all time. This is a great series and one that you will never get tired of watching.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 November 2006
I can tell you something, they could have made ten seasons and it will probably still feel fresh and new like this season does. It is a shame it ended at 4, although there was a rumour few several years back that a 5th season was in plan way back then, but unfortunately it was stopped because of lack of money, or something like that, but either way it was stopped and that was a shame as this Superman generation if you want to put it that way was so popular even at season 4, so could have went on longer due to popularity, but the 4th season is just as brilliant as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd seasons. The story lines and the acting is still as good and exciting and it is worth buying as they are now classics to have. I hope one day a 5th season will come out, because I think in my opinion, this is and will be the best Superman for a very long time to come, maybe ever!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For better or worse, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman only lasted four seasons. Personally, I really enjoy this incarnation of the most famous superhero, so I wish there had been more. However, I can see how some would have grown tired of the show by the time season four aired.

All the usual Superman suspects are present and accounted for. We've got the dual identity of Clark Kent, reporter for the Daily Planet, the biggest newspaper in Metropolis, and Superman, almost indestructible superhero (both played by Dean Cain). The big change in this series is his relationship with fellow reporter Lois Lane (Teri Hatcher). By season four, they are very much an item planning to marry as soon as the universe lets them. Of course, at the paper, we've got editor Perry White (Lane Smith) and photographer Jimmy Olsen (Justin Whalin). Rounding out the cast are Eddie Jones and K Callan as Clark's human parents Jonathan and Martha Kent.

Season three of the show ended with a cliffhanger, and season four picks up exactly where it ended. Superman has just left Earth for New Krypton to try to save the remnants of his people from Lord Nor who is out to gain power by any means necessary. They spend two very interesting episodes wrapping that up before moving on to the rest of the season.

Actually, the season contains several multi episode arcs. Lois is framed for murder (by holding a gun as it fires and kills someone). Even though Lex Luthor is dead, his legacy pops up a couple of times as two young men try to avenge his death and someone with a personal connection shows up to take down Lois and Superman once and for all. The time traveling villain Tempus shows up a couple of times to wreck havoc with our heroes, too.

Of course, there are some great standalone episodes as well. Lois and Clark try to make some new friends, and just happen to begin bonding with a hit man and his wife. Superman is caught kissing a married woman - Lois Lane. Meanwhile, another woman thinks she knows exactly who Superman really is - Jimmy Olsen. And we finally get to meet Perry's ex-wife Alice.

Then there's the wedding. After the failed wedding attempt in season 3, they actually allow Lois and Clark to get married in the third episode, "Swear to God, This Time We're Not Kidding." Outside of the title, the actual episode, especially the wedding, is a sad disappointment. It wasn't the payoff fans wanted after having waited so long to see these characters get together. Then they couple it with "Soul Mates," which finds Lois and Clark time traveling to break a curse that Tempus put on them. The time travel was fun, but the episode was pretty lackluster over all.

Actually, that applies to several episodes that start out with a fun premise but then the writers go too far by throwing just one more complication into the story. The worst example to me is the one where Lois is framed for murder. In the second part, we find out that the villains had a bigger plan to kill much of humanity. Save it for a separate episode; we didn't need it here.

Another flaw was the returning villain we'd never heard of before. Several times, we have someone trying to get revenge of Lois and/or Clark, but we've never heard of them before. I'd spend the whole episode trying to remember the last time we saw them only to look it up and learn the truth.

That's not to say that all the episodes were bad. While a bit over the top, I enjoyed "Ghosts," if only because it guest starred Drew Carey and Kathy Kinney on a break from season 2 of The Drew Carey Show. This season has one of their stronger Christmas episodes with the villain Mxyzptik straight from the comic books. And I even enjoyed some of the episodes I talk about above despite the flaws I mentioned.

As always, the acting is great. Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher are amazing as the leads. I buy every minute they are on screen together, and their chemistry is outstanding. The rest of the case rises to their level, making caring about these characters easy.

The fourth season featured 22 episodes. Since the show was canceled so late in the run, they final episode has a bit of a cliffhanger, although it's not as bad as some previous seasons. While not a proper send off, it is easy to see a happy ending for everyone. Anyway, the episodes are in their native full frame picture and stereo sound on six discs. The only bonus feature is an interactive timeline of Superman's history (through the Superman Returns movie). There's some interesting stuff in there, especially for someone like me who knows little about the character, but it's a pain to have to click on each picture to see the history of that item.

While flawed, season four of Lois and Clark is still fun. If you are a fan of the show, you'll enjoy catching up with this set. If you aren't that familiar with the show, start with earlier seasons so you'll enjoy season four more.
on 11 June 2012
DVD Zone 2

Ratio of the series: 1.33:1
Number of episodes: 22
Duration of each episode approx: 44 minutes

Languages for the episodes:
Dolby 2.0 Surround: English, French, Castilian Spanish

Subtitles for the episodes:
French, Castilian Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, English and English for the Hearing Impaired.

Verdict:
The finale season, not that much better but it's Ok except the unexplained last episode, pity.
Besides, even some CGI scenes are unfinished !!
- During the finale battle between Superman and Lord Nor, the cables holding Dean Cain are visible when he lands on the street.
- The X-ray and the "laser eyes" have not been added in post-prod for this same battle making the actors looking a wee bit ridiculous !
Nevertheless, the stories are good enough to be liked by all fan of the Man of Steel.
Enjoy !
on 10 January 2007
this is awesome, so good. with the first 3 sets aswell. the way the actors play thier roles. its such an amazing season of superman! properly one of the best. teri hatcher is amazing in this and dean cain, so good. enjoyed watching this so much.
on 9 May 2011
Some great episodes here, especially with Clark and the New Kryptonians, and it is a high quality series that is hard to fault. The ending is the only let down because it is sudden and leaves a lot of questions and frankly there should have been at least one more series. Buy it anyway, just dont expect to really believe its over when youve seen the final frame. If only they would or could bring this back!
on 16 January 2011
purchaseed all seasons and was dilivered in less then a week from the UK to Cyprus worked out cheaper to buy by Amazon then from Local stores, and consider it a good buy. not had enough time to see all the set yet by what i have seen is very good and well worth buying just so that we can see the whole seasons again
on 10 February 2013
finally found this at a great cheap price. all other stores have been like £35. such a loved missed show. it was my smallville of the 90s. a show i reckon could still stand up to the shows we have today. also this arrived very fast. i had normally up to 3-5 days free delivery yet it got here in 2 days. :)