5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Specials, 31 Dec. 2006
Mr Bookman (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
I've read on the internet that some people are annoyed because the 1993 and 1994 Christmas specials haven't been released. They have...this DVD contains all the episodes from Series 5 and the 1993, 1994 and 1995 Christmas specials. The 1991 Christmas special was released on the Series 3 & 4 DVD.

A quick note about Keeping Up Appearances in general: an excellent sitcom. Patricia Routledge is a fantastic comedy actress and all of the episodes in Series 5 are of a high standard, just as Series 1-4 were. Well worth buying this collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding British comedy at its best, 4 Mar. 2007
Gary Rawlings "G" (G) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
Hyacinth Bucket, or should I say, "Bouqet", is one of TV's greatest ladies. Patricia Routledge plays the part extremely well, allowing us to enter middle-Britain every time we tune in.

Keeping Up Appearances is truly delightfully written. With a talented cast; each episode unfolds into another problem for Hyacinth and her family. Her estranged son Sheriden, who never appears on screen is her true treasure. She is so proud of him and his achievements but is forever missing the signs that he is doing a drama and arts course and living with another man. Hilarious! Hyacinth's ever so hard efforts to climb the social ladder are so funny. Each and every episode she is trying to better herself and her long-loving and long-suffering husband, Richard.

The essence of the programme is how different from Hyacinth her two sisters are. Rose and Daisy, from the nearby council estate give Hyacinth nothing but grief and embarrassment! From their old Ford Cortina parked on the driveway on bricks, with a dog on the back seat to Rose's new man, Hyacinth is forever worried about what the upper classes will think of her.

Excellent script writing makes the on-screen chemistry between Hyacinth and her family truly remarkable. I love the true British style to this comedy drama. There's a Hyacinth in every village and that's what makes it so funny to watch.

An outstanding programme, with good and very good acting throughout. Well done to all those associated with Keeping Up Appearances!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Funny, 15 Jan. 2007
S. Williams (County Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
As a fan of Keeping up Appearances, I was bound to like it, but for those of you who have never seen it before, I recommend watching the first series first.

Series 5 has two disks, both with episodes. There are no features unfortunatly, but the disk does include the Christmas Specials. I was very pleased to find that the trip to Denmark on the QEII was on the disk, as it is my favourite episode.

Each episode is about half an hour, with the Christmas specials a little longer.

The DVD is well worth watching and I have no complaints at all.

Overall, it's good, clean comedy. And I love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comedy Classic from the Top Drawer, 13 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
A classic comedy written so well by Roy Clarke, also famous for writing every episode of 'Last of the Summer Wine'.

Patricia Routledge portrays Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced 'Bouquet') so perfectly as the ultimate snob determined to set an example to all.

With classic situations such as posting (into a street post box) a social invitation to her next door neighbour, rather than popping it through her letterbox because she likes people to know she uses First Class Stamps!

This DVD set also includes the three Christmas Specials (New Kitchen, QE2 and Pageant).

Great comedy!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - and it was worth the wait!, 6 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
After almost three years since series 3 and 4 were released, I had almost given up hope that this final series would ever be released on region 2 DVD.

So it was a wonderful Christmas present to find it being released on Boxing Day and it did not disappoint!

Unlike many sitcoms, Keeping Up Appearances did not go on for too long to just wither and die. Series 5 was in many ways the best of the whole run, containing such classics as the security alarm and waterside supper with riparian entertainment episodes.

Also included (which I had hoped for) were the three missing Christmas specials from 1993, 1994 and 1995. The hour long Christmas special from 1993 where the Buckets travel on the QE2 is easily the best episode of the entire series!!!

Highly recommended to all and well worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best series of a Brilliant and Classic Comedy!, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
Keeping Up Appearances definately got better as the series went on and this although the last was the best of the lot. I recieved my copy of the dvd at long last a couple of days ago safely and quite quickly by Amazon (bearing in mind it was the Easter Weekend) and found it to be smaller than I imagined, because of the shortage of discs (only two in this set) This series features many of my favourite episodes, two of which are the QE2 Christmas Special (my personal favourite) and "Hyacinth is Alarmed."

The menu design has changed yet again, from the basic design of Series 3 & 4 to a design of Hyacinth's bedroom wallpaper and images of the episodes in portraits, the only problem being, this time unlike the last release, the episode names are absent, which is quite annoying because I have too look them up on Wikipedia if I can't guess them from the scene selection menu.

But this was a great series to finish off a brilliant and Classic Sitcom in which Patricia Routledge plays the main role like a gem and plays it so well that you wouldn't blame Richard from strangling her at one point. Clive Swift is also a brilliant and perfect Richard as are the other actors/actresses to their parts and it was a shame she didn't want to do anymore episodes after this series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hyacinth, Lady of the House, 19 Jun. 2009
Jeffrey W. Hearn (Azerbaijan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
I was very happy with the product as I had wondered how to find it. I found it within minutes of logging on to Amazon. I had all the other Keeping Up Appearances series, but was lacking the final one. I was extremely impressed by how fast the delivery service was. When I will be looking for anything similar or other product, I will definietly check out Amazon each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patricia Routledge at her best......., 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
I have the previous boxed sets and this one is no different when it comes to the well written excellent timing of all the regular cast.

I have always found Patricia Routledge to be superb when it comes to playing Hyacinth Bucket (spelt Bouquet!!) and her long suffering husband Richard (played by Clive Swift) I just could not imagine any other actress portraying this role with such professionalism as Patricia Routledge.
I always cringe when we visit the house of Onslow and Daisy and dear Rose whom all the men seem to like, must be the legs and short skirt that does it.

I think I have only "seen" Sheridan once in the back of a taxi so dont know what he looks like and wonder if it would be the same if they brought his character into the script on a visual basis. It is so funny when his Father always wonders why Sheridan does not like girls and prefers needlework to anything else!!!

I think it would still be so amusing if they could bring the characters back for an updated version as I am quite sure dearest Hyacinth would still be Keeping Up Appearances as wonderful as ever.

I think the episode when they are on the QE2 is absolutely marvellous and Hyacinth can surely dance the night away!!

If anyone is a fan of Patricia Routledge then this (and the previous ones) is simply a must watch......

5.0 out of 5 stars My heroine, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
I love Hyacinth and my husband is called Richard so I do try to copy her.She is the most snobbish person ever but so funny.I have all the dvds and can just about tell you all the scripts,I know that is sick but so funny.So sorry when Onslow died in real life that put paid to any more being made as he was also a main character who I loved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughter guarenteed, 5 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
Good to revisit the days of simpler comedy and laughter. If Hyacinth's behaviour doesn't bring a smile to your face then you are living in dark times! A good escape for a wet Saturday/Sunday afternoon, especially if there is only sport on the telly and you're not into that!

Keeping Up Appearances - Series 5 [1995] [DVD]