4.0 out of 5 stars Pilates for Lower Back Pain

3.0 out of 5 stars For beginners only
Published on 11 May 2010 by Jo Webb

4.0 out of 5 stars Pilates for Lower Back Pain, 6 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] (DVD)
Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] I class myself as being reasonably fit as I have kept myself fit for a number of years with weight training, Karate and Yoga, but in 2008 I managed to damage my lower back quite severely and now have disc and nerve problems. I couldn't move for about 2 months. After the first month, I was referred to a physio at my local hospital, who took me through basic pilates and advised me to think about joining a class once the session with her were over. It was an extremely painful time. I could hardly walk, so decided to try and find a way to do them at home. I searched Amazon for Pilates solely for bad backs and found this one. It has no frills, no soft music, no low seductive lighting or graceful instructor and students. Its quite clinical and gets straight to the point. The instructor Allan Menezes is just like the hospital physio. He takes you through the exercises gently and explains in great detail. If you can hardly move and need basic slow pilates exercises with slow, plain explanation, this is the one for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars For beginners only, 11 May 2010
Jo Webb (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] (DVD)
I have lumbar problems so I bought this DVD to do at home the days I can't get to a Pilates or special back stretch class. What a disappointment. Fifteen minutes going over the basics of posture and breathing then very slowly showing about ten different stretches. If I was a beginner, this DVD would be great, but knowing Pilates I found it far too slow in between the exercises and was bored watching the posture and breathing techniques. I feel like I just started stretching and the DVD ended already. But, I totally recommend this to anyone who is a beginner as it is perfectly paced and easy to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, 19 Jun. 2009
Mrs. Sally E. Bishop (UK) - See all my reviews
Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD]
I am suffering with disc degeneration and bought this DVD in desperation. Its not the most polished production but the exercises shown really do work very well. It has enabled me to keep moving and control the pain I am in. Without doing this routine of exercises every day I would have ceased up! If you are in pain in the lower back and can see beyond the lack of production polish I can highly recommend this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly explained and shown, 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] (DVD)
The first section of this DVD clearly goes through breathing and posture. Throughout the exercises, the instructions are clear and additional wording is given across the screen. Not only is this useful for someone using the technique with possibly lower back pain, it is also good for Pilates Teachers as Allan gives good reasons why you should do and not do certain things. I highly recommend this DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Helpful, 7 Sept. 2011
R. Preston (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] (DVD)
This was purchased for my wife who suffers from back problems. The exercises are explained and shown clearly with the ones she has been able to do being fairly helpful. A good value book for someone trying out Pilates to see if it might be of help.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 2 Feb. 2011
Helen Parkes "H" (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] (DVD)
I love this DVD it is so easy to follow and understand, I am in too much pain to go to a class thats too full on for me, so this is perfect.

it shows you how to do many pilates exercises that would have been hard for people with back problems (naming one, holding your legs up in the air) and shows you how to do them safely and pain free while still building your core muscles.

If you wake up feeling like you have been run over by a bus most mornings, then this is the DVD for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars SImple, unpretentious and effective, 23 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] (DVD)
I've tried Pilates and Yoga DVDs before & have quickly got fed up with the new age music,, and have sometimes been unsure what they've wanted me to do.

This is different - down-to-earth advice that you can use everyday, with simple instructions that are repeated on screen. I've been in agony with back pain, and am now feeling a bit more empowered to do something about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not glossy, but very useable, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] (DVD)
The DVD lacks glossy polish, but gives the best intro to Pilates I've had so far on a DVD. Breathing and posture take central stage, and are reiterated all the way through. The DVD also has a stretching program before starting the Pilates exercises.
Rather than having one super-fit presenter whose moves are out of reach for most of us, the DVD uses one instructor who works with 2 people, one healthy one, and one with bad back pain to show different varieties of the exercises. Cannot recommend this product enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real helpful, 24 Feb. 2010
F. Ajibola "Tima" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD was really useful, initailly it was difficult to do the exercises but after a few sessions, the exercises became easier whilst improving your back posture. The dvd was a bit short as the exercises was done all too quick, this was a negative thing at first but now I am abled to watch the dvd before work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 4 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] (DVD)
This product is a good starter product for someone with back problems. Though the DVD is only short, it does give good descriptions on how to do an exercise and extra on screen tips. I use it as a warm up. This product is really for beginners or those with more serious back pain, not for advanced.

Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD]
Pilates For Lower Back Pain [DVD] by Allan Menezes (DVD - 2006)