5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault them
I bought a pair of these tyres recently, and I've now had the chance to road test them on two day rides.

Published on 5 Mar 2012 by Jaz

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost
Make sure you buy a very good inner tube (schwalbe) otherwise you to will suffer the 'bulge' effect that has been described in another review. Glass etc will damage the outer black rubber and you can then see the blue protection layer underneath, its getting a mix between hard rubber and soft gripping rubber. Having said that there was still no puncture and i have had...
Published on 17 Sep 2010 by Munkstar

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault them, 5 Mar 2012

First of all, I approached the fitting with trepidation having read some of the reviews on other sites. But, armed with the highly recommended YouTube video by Spa Cycles which explains how to fit them without using levers, I had them on easily within 20 minutes or so. As I'm one of the least practical people on the planet, that's good going! The "trick" is to secure the tyre using toe-clips, string or cable-ties, then gradually work round the tyre, creating slack by "bedding" the tyre in the rim well, making sure the inner isn't snagged. It's much easier to watch than explain, but if I can do it, believe me it can't be that bad. I guess that the wheel rim type will make a difference to how easy the fitting process is; mine are Mavik 319s. Anyway, I'm now confident that I could fix a puncture on the road if I need to. Not bad for a numpty like me.

The ride seems fine. I don't detect any appreciable slowing effect over my previous tyres from the extra puncture protection. I'm using them on a loaded touring bike (20kg spread over 4 panniers).

I'm about to embark on a lengthy tour (4000+ miles) with these tyres, so will report back more fully on how they perform. But for now, it's thumbs up.

Update: I've now completed 2500 miles using these tyres and I've found them to be remarkably durable. Firstly, I've had no punctures, despite riding over diverse surfaces including rough chalk, potholed lanes, and broken-glass on city cycle paths. I ran over a thorn, which I removed from the tyre with no problem at all. The wear seems light, and I like the light-reflective band on the tyre edge.

I'd recommend thes to any touring or commuter cyclist who is fed up of getting punctures.

So, only a partial review, but I thought it might be useful for anyone who is put off by the fitting issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, hard to fit = never had a puncture, 13 Nov 2009
This review is from: Schwalbe Marathon Plus Wired Tyre with Smartguard (Sports)
These tyres are heavy, verging on 1Kg each (depending on tyre size). They are very hard to fit (tip: use cable ties to hold the tyre on to the rim a section at a time when fitting for the first time, they act as a third hand). I also had to buy a "Pedros Downhill Tyre Lever" to help get them off as I broke a few plastic levers.

Once fitted, these tyres are indestructable. I rode 5,000 miles over a year or so to and from work. I NEVER got a puncture. Through glass, down tow paths and up kerbs (keep them at max pressure). I even had a roofing tack (nail) stuck in them once and I hadn't realised until I got to work. I wondered why the bike was "going up and down". I pulled it out with pliers. It still didn't puncture.

When the tread on the rear tyre had worn down I decided to cut the tyre open to see what the "blue stuff" in the picture actually felt like. I first used a kitchen knife, then scissors, then a bread knife and finally a full size hacksaw!

Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for puncture resistance, 29 Feb 2012
By far the best tyres I've ever had - I used to get punctures all the time and not had a single one in the year these have been on my bike.

They are slightly harder than regular tyres to put on, but I didn't have any serious issues with a decent inner tube and tyre lever - and given they are indestructible, you don't need to be getting them off and on very often!

All in all, highly recommended for eliminating the cost and especially the hassle of punctures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Schwalbe Marathon Plus Wired Tyre with Smartguard (Sports)
I do about 100 miles a week over mixed, and sometimes, very rough ground, but mostly roads. Used to average 1 puncture a week. Since fitting these 5 weeks ago, I've not had a puncture. Went over a half broken bottle last week that would normally shred a tyre, and these didn't even mark! I now have the confidence to go across most surfaces puncture free.

These are quick and quiet tyres too; they have very little rolling resistance. Good grip on wet tarmac but lousy in mud. If you travel a lot on muddy trails I would consider a deeper treaded tyre to these.

Some reviews seem to find these difficult to fit but I found them quite easy. You wont get them on with nylon tyre fitters, you need a good set of steel ones; but other than that they were no problem. Pushing the bead into the tyre as you work your way around the rim helps enormously.

So far I'm very impressed with these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Approached with trepidation, 20 Jan 2013
After getting stuck, changing a tube in pouring rain one time too many, I decided to invest in these after taking some advice from friends. I had some concerns after reading horror stories in the reviews about the difficulty of fitting these. If something requires a you tube demo- it sets alarm bells off for me. I needn't have worried. It's true they did require a fair amount of muscle to get them on- but nothing too excessive. It's also true that I had a couple of bruised knuckles after fitting. However, the hours of anxiety free cycling I've had since, definitely makes it worthwhile. The only caveat I would add is that perhaps if you are not so physically able, you may have to get someone to assist/ fit them for you, but it is worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tyre, quick delivery would definitely buy again., 12 Feb 2013
My bike came with continental tyres and they were too easy punctured, so i changed them over for marathon plus, good reflective strip round the tyre for winter riding, no problems with punctures now, slightly heavier feel to the tyre but no difference to ride, thoroughly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare to put on! Get the 35c for your sanity.., 21 Aug 2012
LikkleNitty (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Purchased the 700x35C for my rear wheel 2 months ago. Loved it and thought I'd get one for the front wheel.

The 35c was pretty easy to pop on and I wondered what the fuss was about when I heard people couldn't get it on. However, after spending the best part of 20 minutes battling, sweating and shouting at my front wheel trying to get the 32c on, I understood what the other people were talking about!

I was told to press and flatten the tyre into the rim as much as possible on both sides and "ease" the top over, but no luck. It was laughable, there was no play whatsoever.

Eventually, I held the tyre and rim to the floor with my feet, and flicked the bit that was still hanging out in with my metal tyre lever. Bad practise, I know!, but there was no other way..

I really hope I don't get a puncture on the road because if it's difficult to get on in the safety of my lounge, there's no way in hell I'd get it back on in the street!

4.0 out of 5 stars Less punctures, less comfort, your choice., 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: Schwalbe Marathon Plus Wired Tyre with Smartguard (Sports)
I have put these on after being plagued by punctures recently.I ride mostly on canal towpaths and lanes and have found them to be a much harder ride with noticeably less grip but for the past 200 miles I have been puncture free. As I get used to the ride I'm starting to think the trade off is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Tyres, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Schwalbe Marathon Plus Wired Tyre with Smartguard (Sports)
These tyres are ace. Before I bought these tyres I used to get a puncture at least once a week and one day I got two, one early morning on my way to work and the other on my way home.

I cycle 26 miles to and from work every day, over every type of terrain, including tarmac, gravel, woodland and even through brambles at one stage. I have not had a puncture yet, even on my final stage of my journey on to a housing estate with broken glass from irresponsible people dropping beer bottles.

If Schwalbe want a test driver and want to throw some test tyres my way I will happily accept them. So far they have been a great purchase, well worth the extra expense.

5.0 out of 5 stars No punctures in over a thousand miles, 1 April 2013
Glad I fitted these! Also glad that there was a youtube video to help. They are heavy tyres and not for everyone but they definitely are just what I needed.

My not very heroic cycling record for the past two years looks like this:

Maxxis Detonator tyres (from new): 15 months, 1020 miles, 9 punctures
Schwalbe Marathon Plus (from new): 9 months, 1350 miles, zero punctures

No coincidence that I go further now than I used to. This may be a bit unfair on the Detonators as I do about 5% off-road, though having said that, most of the punctures - if not all - were caused by road flints rather than thorns. Slightly surprisingly the Schwalbe tyres seem to have less rolling resistance than the Detonators - or maybe I'm just getting fitter.