on 5 April 2007
Coupling Ian Siegal's brilliant studio CD release "Meat and Potatoes" with a DVD of his vibrant performance at the North Sea Jazz Festival is just superb value for moner.

I've seen Siegal many times at various blues festival and apart from much praise the phrase most often heard is "different" and certainly Ian's brand of the Blues is an alternative to the screaming guitar formula so prevelant today. It's still pretty lively stuff and both Ian and Matt Scofield play a pretty mean guitar the rhythm section is tight to say the least and the "legendary Jonny Henderson" on keyboards makes a great addition to the overall sound.

Buy this, turn up the volume then go and watch the real thing - you don't know what you're missing
on 25 May 2007
I can't stress how highly I rate Ian Siegal even without the band and Matt Schofield is no mean guitarist !

This is a must for anybody - even those who've already bought the "Meat and Potatoes" CD, the band's set at the North Sea Jazz Festival is simply one of the best live performances I've seen including the likes of BB, Eric, Jules etc.
on 16 January 2011
Alerted to Ian Siegal's work by the inclusion of his song 'Drowned My Sorrows (But They Sure Learned How to Swim)' on a compilation album, I lost no time in seeking out the album that contained it, and happily spent more again shortly afterwards to replace that with this extended version with live DVD included. Where this kind of Blues is concerned, the rougher the voice, the more convincing the sound, and Siegal has one of those booze-for-breakfast & 60-a-day smoker's rasps. Great stuff! Nothing on this CD was a disappointment, and the DVD produced the goods as well, involving as it does the wonderful Matt Schofield (Why is this man not a household name?) and Hammond organ genius Jonny Henderson. 'A Bigger Plate of Meat & Potatoes'? I can't wait to see what's for afters! Give yourself a treat. Purchase immediately.
on 22 June 2010
The bonus DVD in this album is Ian Siegal at the North Sea Jazz festival in the Netherlands.

I was there during the performance and it was a fantastic performance. Purchase this product to get the registration of that concert and you won't be disappointed. You will not find the dvd itself in the store's anymore (at least, I didn't).

Where Ian is normally great during live performances (I have seen him at least 5 times the last couple of years), this concert is in a totally different league.
The band was extended with an additional funky guitar player (Matt Schofield) and a superb hammond organist (Jonny Henderson).
The result: a mixture of blues, jazz, soul & funk that is beyond imagination. I am not kidding, this is fusion at it's best. Experience "Brandy balloon" & "I Ain't Drunk" in their finest, most funky versions ever.

It truely is a unique masterpiece.
on 3 November 2008
I bought this cd/dvd combo despite already owning the cd, now the property of a friend, as it was the quickest way to see Ian Siegal in action.

The cd is reviewed elsewhere (seriously good!)& the dvd in this package contains not only good live footage from the North Sea Jazz Festival but also an interview with the man himself.

I gave it 4 stars as the production is pretty basic but, then again, that is also part of its charm. It captures the essence of a tight blues band playing live & clearly enjoying it.

There can't be a better offer out there so get while you can!
on 20 June 2012
Bought this having already got a copy of the excellent "Broadside" cd. It is even better than I had expected, especially the Live DVD from the North Sea Jazz Festival. Has the added bonus of Matt Schofield and Jonny Henderson playing in the band (Matt is also one of my favourite artists). Clearly Ian Siegal is a fantastic live performer with a great band, hopefully I will get to see them sooner rather than later.
on 17 November 2015
I bought this CD primarily because of the unique DVD that comes with it. It is a recording from the concert at the North Sea Jazz Festival in Holland. It was such a good show, I enjoy the recording very much.
on 15 June 2009
I don't like this quite as much as Swagger but a great album by a great blues vocalist with a solid backing band. Quality performer.