VINE VOICEon 19 January 2008
Having read the other reviews for these speakers, I thought I'd give my opinion. I bought these to replace my Logitech R-10s because of their lack of clarity and bass response. What's the point in having compact speakers that don't sound good enough to make you want to listen to them?!

My first impression was that these X-140s are a bit bigger and a lot heavier and more substantial. They look and feel like they're built to last. They have two extra features too - a tone control for treble/bass balance, and an aux stereo minijack input on the front so you can connect an MP3 player without disconnecting them from your PC.

The X-140s are two-way as you can see through the metal grilles. The top tweeter cone takes care of high frequencies while the bottom cone takes care of the bass. Splitting things up like this gives much better clarity and bass response. The sound quality of these is sooooo much better than the R-10s without taking up much more desk space. The most impressive thing is the stereo imaging - these really create a realistic sound field if you sit in the middle.

Another major plus for me is that they come with a standard mains plug rather than one of those bulky transformer plugs like the R-10s which take up way too much room and usually stop you using the next-door sockets.

Some other reviewers have commented that these speakers don't go very loud. Well, I'm not sure that you can expect to use 2.5 watt desktop PC speakers for a house party. I want something that sounds really good without taking up too much space. If I wanted serious volume/bass I'd need something with a subwoofer, but then it takes up loads of space and irritates the neighbours! And these are only £15 which is a major bargain.

To summarise, I am really happy with these. They're well made, built to last, give excellent sound for their size/power, and look like they'll last for years. You have to give 5 stars for getting all this for £15.
2424 comments635 of 640 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2009
I have played a wide variety of music through these speakers and I cannot fault them. Classical piano is crisp and clear, rock music comes out with a good bass thump, male vocal, female vocal - you name it.
I sit working at my desk surrounded by the full and gorgeous sound. Who could ask for more - no buzzes, no booming bass. I read some reviews with curiosity and amazement. What are they expecting for less than £20?
It seems some want them - a full PA system.
I operate a recording studio so I think I am qualified to comment on quality. These speakers are quite remarkable in performance and they look great too.
44 comments274 of 277 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2012
Let me clear something up in this review.

The 1 stars all mention a high pitched whine. I have tried to get these speakers to produce this noise every which way I can think of. Speakers on max, with computer on max, slowly dropping the sound on both, forcing the treble to high levels, forcing the bass... you get the picture.

(I'm not going to comment on the review that said they pick up HeartFM, I live in an area that gets fantastic HeartFM radio reception and even with the radio on and sitting next to them they get nothing, kay?)

There is NO high pitch whining that will give you a headache. One of the reviewers states hers whined and then died under a year later.... I'm wondering if maybe a few people had loose connections... or maybe these speakers are just popular among the bat community and the whine is actually just inaudible to us humans.

So on to the actual speakers themselves. One thing to note folks. When you plug these in make sure you switch the setting to Speakers OK! I forgot and had mine set to the headphone setting, sound quality was appalling and I was questioning the quality of the speakers.

Having got the settings correct I will vouch for the sound quality. They are certainly on par with my old expensive set that I used for many years. Sound is crisp and sharp and the bass is pronounced but without giving you that annoying "THUMP THUMP THUMP" that makes you feel like you should be sitting in a decked out Ford Fiat.

Wires are nice and tidy but they also offer PLENTY of length to reach power points and the tower, they tuck away lovely and do come out looking incredibly neat. The line connecting the two speakers is the same, nice and long but not so long it causes problems.

In a similar vein they also take up little room on my desk, which leaves me more room to collect dirty coffee mugs and plates.

Unlike most cheaper speakers these have a headphone plug and an input on one of the speakers along with inbuilt volume and 'tone' control. Nice and convenient if you live in a flat like me and are forever swapping between headphones and speakers!

So, is there anything wrong with them? Well, yes of course, if you compare them to anything £70 and up!

My only real jibe with these would be the 'Tone' button. Could do with a little more control. But I have come from using a whopping set of speakers with loads of little satellite speakers spinning around a central bass box covered in dials. (My budget was considerably more then!)

For the budget bracket these set in these do stand out. Functional and stylish with crisp sound and little dials for you to play with, what more can you ask for.

So please do not have any concerns if you're feeling put off by the reviews.

I know this was a tad on the long side but thank you for reading!
0Comment96 of 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2010
All I can say about these speakers is that for the price, they are amazing. You can turn the bass up to give rich, deep sound which easily fills a room, without the sometimes annoying 'thud' of a sub woofer - whilst also having the ability to turn the tone right off for quiter listening, however this makes it a bit tinny. Even at a high volume they are clear and I highly recommend them for anyone looking for new PC/laptop speakers (they are quite chunky so check your spaces).
22 comments55 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 August 2009
I am truly amazed by the sound quality of these for the price! I bought these because my new Xbox360 couldn't work with my old 2.1's. These are even better than those, which had a sub-woofer!

Very pleased.
33 comments48 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought these speakers for use with my iPod Classic and iPhone, expecting nothing fantastic given the low price, but I was completely wrong. These speakers are really very good. The sound they produce is solid, with respectable bass and treble, though they are controlled by a single Tone knob. To connect to iPod, use the cable that is attached to the back of the right-hand speaker. This speaker has all the controls on it. You could also connect your MP3 player to the socket on the front panel, but you would only need to do that if your player had a different socket on it, thus requiring an adapter cable. There is also a headphones socket, which gives good output.

The cable connecting left and right speakers is plenty long enough to span the length of a desk, but the power cable is a bit shorter than with most such products I have used. The volume is enough to fill a room with sound, but not sufficient for a house-party. Having said that, even at maximum volume, the sound remains balanced and without distortion or "fluffiness".

The speakers themselves stand 24cm high, and sit tiled back on a fixed base. They are weighted so they stay where you put them.

So, for listening to music and podcasts, and plugging into a PC, these speakers are really good value for money.
55 comments12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2010
Having bought a samsung 21"tv which is a great picture but horrible sound I saw the reviews for these speakers and tried them out.Plugged them into the headphone socket and the mains and suddenly good sounds job done.
33 comments33 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2010
Bought these for occasional laptop use as they were very reasonably priced.
When I received them & plugged them in I was very pleasantly surprised,they
are surprisingly good,certainly the best I've heard for the price.I don't think
you'll be dissappointed.Well done Logitech.
on 24 July 2011
These do have a very good sound quality for size and price, but spoiled by very loud mains hum. (BUT SEE BELOW) If you're sticking them under your desk, and/or only switching them when you play music (and that at a good volume), they're great. For leaving on all the time, especially if they're on your desk, not so good if you're at all sensitive to that maddening 50Hz low hum that is the bain of studio engineers! It's a shame, because mains hum really ain't THAT hard to get rid of these days...

*** UPDATE (03/2012) - UPGRADED TO 4 STARS ***
I found out where the mains hum is coming from! If you are using a laptop that is not earthed (a great many of them are not - witness the two-prong 'figure 8' cable on the majority of power adapters) you will get a substantial hum. However, as soon as it is connected to something that IS (in my case, a monitor with USB hub via mini-display-port) the hum pretty much vanishes. I imagine on a desktop machine this won't be an issue. So I have upgraded this to 4 stars - just bear in mind to what you are connecting them.
on 20 July 2011
As others on here have mentioned, these speakers seem to have a common fault in that they emit a high pitch whine which in a quiet office can be really annoying.

Clearly there is a QA problem on these speakers so I have returned for a refund and will buy something different.
33 comments22 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse