Colour Name: Laque Noire Attributs Dorés|Size: 1|Change

on 8 August 2013
It was a visit from the Area Dean (which probably isn't a common opening comment for an Amazon review) that inspired me to buy one of these. He was using a fountain pen on a standard piece of paper and it was obviously the pen he used on a daily basis. I'd always thought that fountain pens were too messy for every day use and although I'd considered purchasing a good quality pen for several years had never actually got round to it.

He bought his pen, a Waterman, from John Lewis - I checked and their price for this pen at the time I purchased it for £108 from Amazon, was £190.

The pen is really easy to write with, no pressure required, which I guess you would expect for this kind of price range. With a decent quality ink, it dries really quickly so unless you have a habit of rubbing your hand across the words you've just written, the drying time isn't really an issue. I wish I'd realised that the pen comes with the attachment you need to use bottled ink, as I bought that separately and now have an unused spare one. In retrospect, I think a fine nib, rather than medium, would have probably been more use as a pen for daily use but I can't deduct a star for that - it really is a fine pen at an outstanding price and if you're thinking of purchasing a good quality pen then I'd definitely recommend this one.
on 3 January 2011
This pen is a joy to write with. It feels a well made quality product. It is very comfortable to hold and as a left-hander very pleasing. It writes so smoothly I forget it is a fountain pen. I love it and would recommend it to anyone.
on 23 January 2011
Fabulous pen. Very special gift.
Seller very good as difficulty with adverse weather conditions. Very responsive to emails & constant updates on delivery
on 13 June 2012
This Waterman Carene Amber Laque fountain pen was purchased for me as a birthday gift by my partner. I looked at a variety of makes and styles before making my choice of pen. I wanted a beautiful pen which, with care, would last a very long time into the future and chose this one because of it's smooth laquered finish and traditional style & shape. Aesthetically, it is a lovely classy pen and totally meets my expectations. It comes with a blue cartridge so it can be used straight away and includes a pen converter so it can also be used with bottled ink. There are some lovely ink colours available and I'd like to try using it with the Waterman brown ink.
on 17 December 2011
Waterman Fountain Pen Writes Beautifully. Lovely design, well balanced.
Great Price, what more can you ask for
Delivery was so quick I am very impressed indeed. By with confidence.
on 16 July 2013
I am very happy with this pen, one of several fountain pen acquisitions this last year.
Looks are streamlined and beautiful, ink flow is constant, with the current Waterman ink the writing experience is smoothness and pure enjoyment.
Methinks I'll have another one -or several!- for my other inks.
on 16 March 2013
I'm absolutely delighted with my Waterman Carène. Perfectly balanced, gorgeous inset solid gold nib and the marine amber lacquer is sumptuously executed. I find the pen writes extremely smoothly with almost no feedback from the paper and lays down a generous wet line. I am using Diamine Burnt Sienna ink which matches the pen perfectly for colour and provides excellent flow.
I have had this fountain pen for 15 years and it is still perfect. It writes amazingly and looks stunning. It is not too heavy or too light. It was my graduation gift and I absolutely love it. I have recently received a much more expensive pen by Montblanc that fell apart after two years.

This one is very sturdy (of course I take care of it, even it fell on the floor a few times), it is easy to find the cartridges and the medium nib is perfect for my style of writing (I find it very comfortable).
on 8 January 2016
Beautiful deep lacquer in a red colour similar to that on the Dunhill AD2000.
The Carene is the greatest bargain in the Waterman lineup. I own (gulp) nine separate versions of this, and every one is a wet, skip-free write straight out of the box when using Waterman cartridges.
Quality is high, and the inlaid nibs are solid 18kt gold.
Nibs are a little in the broad side- a 'M' is edging towards broad, while an 'F' is close to medium.
You also can't post the cap safely.
Waterman presents them well- all come with a converter and a box of 8 blue cartridges. There are many very very expensive pens now supplied without, so Waterman should be congratulated.

Buy a fountain pen and a bottle of ink- it's much more environmentally friendly than a disposable ballpoint and your writing will be so much nicer.

These are my favourite pens by a country mile.
on 3 November 2012
Beautifully crafted pen ink flow exellent .it fits your grip well and is a pleasure to hold.well worth the money