5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Real PL2303 Serial USB Converter
Published on 2 Dec. 2011 by Ross Ward

1.0 out of 5 stars does not work on my windows xp laptop. A waste of money.
I installed the windows xp drivers from the subdirectory on the cd after the main windows program installed drivers that made my laptop lockup. Once I had the drivers setup, I connected the cables and switched on the radio receiver I wanted to control. A very flaky unusable connection, like some of the other low price usb serial cables I have tried. I will throw this one...
Published 8 months ago by aagus

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Real PL2303 Serial USB Converter, 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
I have a box full of cheap Chinese USB Serial Converters that don't meet the PL-2303 Spec (almost all USB-Serial Converters are based on PL-2303). In other words, they don't run at the speeds you need. I connect into Cisco devices mainly and sometimes I have to replace an IOS Image through ROMMON. This is unbearable at a Baud Rate other than 115,200. The cheap Chinese ones won't get anywhere near this speed (19,200 is the best I could get with the cheap ones that was stable).

The ATEN UC232A does meet the Spec however and although it is also made in China they are a proper Company with Quality Control etc. I am very pleased with this item, it is a little bit more expensive than the cheap ones on eBay but it is well worth it. You can tell the UC232A has been made properly - the feel alone tells you that. ATEN have Drivers for Mac, Linux and Windows. I have tested it on Windows Vista and Mac OSx Lion, no problems on either system. If you are looking at this because you can't get your Converter to work at a higher speed then buy this - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - but need to download Win7 drivers, 4 Dec. 2010
H. Pyett "Howie" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
Great little USB to Serial adaptor.
Extremely well made and looks like it will last a long time.
Only small negative is that if you are using Windows 7, you have to download the Win7 drivers from the Aten web site as they are not included on the supplied driver CD - which took all of 2 minutes, so no problems there and not worth knocking a star of just for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aten Quality, 28 Oct. 2009
B. S. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
There are lot of cheap rubbish converters on the market but these are not. I am using two of these on a Samsung laptop under Vista and they work perfectly with no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last..., 3 July 2012
Zak Ventis "ZakVentis" (Monmouth, Mon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
I have put up with a PL2303 converter for years thinking the dropouts were a software problem (or Windoze Xp!) and it would not work with Windows 7 64bit. Then I read the reviews of the UC232A, thought, 'for a tenner its worth a try', and...

Voila! Perfect - 64bit driver on the supplied CD, no dropouts, Win7 & Xp love it; I'm a happy bunny!

Zak

5.0 out of 5 stars Aten UC232A does what it says on the tin, 20 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
Wanted this product as my Sony laptop did not have a serial port - the Aten UC232A worked straight from the start - just plugged it in and my Windows 7 Laptop detected it as Com3 straight away no poblems - no need for me to install drivers from Cd or Download. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy, 17 July 2011
Lanius (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
As someone else said, there is some rubbish out there but this is classy.

In particular, if you go for "bargain basement" I have found you get 0 to 5V swings on the RS232 signal, this has a proper +/-9V swing. But this still isn't expensive. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars a 232 converter that works with Windows 7, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
Having tried a few 232 converters for my work I have found that many are unreliable with Windows 7.

I bought the ATEN product based on customer reviews. On unpacking it was clearly good quality construction and it worked with '7' out of the box using the supplied drivers.

Not cheap and certainly not nasty - recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 10 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
I work as a sound engineer and a lot of processors out there have 9 pin RS232 serial ports on them in order to connect to the management software on your computer - the first particular unit I needed to use this for was an XTA SIDD, this converter is recommended by XTA and it's what they will sell you if you buy direct from them, so it was the obvious choice.

I've used it on the SIDD with no problems, also on various other devices from Allen & Heath, Turbosound, Nexo, etc. and as long as you get the baud rate set right and assign it to a COM port within what the software can use it seems you can't go wrong. The activity light is a good extra so you know everything's working as it should. You'll also need this to use the XTA recommended RS232 to RS485 adaptor which gives you the option for longer cable runs on balanced XLR cables (down a multicore to stage for instance) and opens up even more hardware for remote control - that one's next on my shopping list.

For under a tenner this should be in any system techs laptop case along with a decent length extension (it's nowhere near long enough to use on it's own if your hardware is in a rack) as chances are at some point you'll come across a situation where it'll be a life saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for Cisco Switch console connections, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
This is a Male connector (i.e the pins stick out) Wasn't clear on the product info page, but it's just what I need.
I bought this to replace a cheap £3 cable I bought on Eay, which of course has never worked. Rubbish. First moral = buy cheap - buy twice
This on the other hand works fine. Arrived within a few days, The XP/Vista/7 drivers are on a CD included. Installed the driver on my Win7 64 bit laptop, a message appeared to say the software may not have installed correctly but plugged it in and Windows ran through the Found New Hardware Wizard fine.

I'm using it to connect to a Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch. Using Putty, you'll need to set it to "Serial", 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and XON/Off flow control

I have only tested that I can bash commands into the switch. I've not tested upgrading its IOS so can't vouch for speed, but the packaging claims that it can handle 230 Kbps transfer rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter, 29 Jan. 2012
J. Clay - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter (Electronics)
For a while I have been looking for a decent USB to serial adaptor to allow me to connect to an older Garmin ETrex GPS unit. In the past I've tried a few cheap units from ebay and was always somewhat disapointed with the results (poor drivers)and poor build quality.

After reading a few of the reviews on the Aten UC232A, I decided to give it a try, and low-and-behold, it's really decent product! Drivers (that actualy work)are provided on the accompanying CD, build quality is good, and the product does exactly what is should, provide a functional serial COM port that is transparent to the os and aplications and wors a treat. Serial data transfers between attached devices (garmin e-trex) and the pc work just seamlessly

Aten UC232A USB to Serial Converter