4.0 out of 5 stars One To Watch??
In years to come this could be a review which either predicted a big band or one of those albums you've spent ages staring at in bargin basements. Not out in the UK for a couple of months (at time of writing this) Shiny Toy Guns definately have a whiff of potential about them.

Published on 13 Jan. 2007 by pjr

1.0 out of 5 stars This album is rubbish
This is such a load of rubbish it is impossible to believe it. It seems that this band have been put together by some marketing people hoping that they will make a million or two. Apart from the opening track this CD is embarrassing. It has every cliche in the book. The lyrics are a joke and generally cringe worthy. I think the main issue is that the band have got their...
Published on 5 April 2007 by J. D. Berry

4.0 out of 5 stars One To Watch??, 13 Jan. 2007
pjr (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Pilots (Audio CD)

Musically this album does play its strongest cards first with both "You Are The One" and "Le Disko" sound like big hit singles. "You Are The One" best represents the album as a whole and it does sound an awful lot The Killers if they'd spent more time playing synthesisers. "Le Disko" has a stronger electroclash feel and (although actually sounding a little dated) has a strong hook which could spring the band a hit although it doesn't really represent the sound of the album as a whole.

Synths may drive this record blending nicely with guitars to give a somewhat alternative shine to the band but this is really pop/electro throughout with hints of Client and, as mentioned before, The Killers. The Killers link really is the key to this band's success or failure but it's worth pointing out that like their first album this has a retro feel about it and a collection of strong pop songs to back it up. From "Don't Cry Out" to "Rainy Monday" there is a solid feel about this album. Closer "We Are Pilots" is pure synth pop.

This is not an original or groundbreaking record by any stretch of the imagination, for all its portentions to an alternative sound cannot hide the fact that it's really a pop record but there is nothing wrong with pop music if it is done with the right intentions. It has the potential to sell by the lorryload or be dismissed as merely derivative. Prepare to be seduced.

5.0 out of 5 stars tremendous new talents!, 23 April 2007
Mr. D. Mooney "repro76" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Pilots (Audio CD)
I picked up this album by accident - what luck! These guys ( and girl ) combine depeche mode, pet shop boys, lightning seeds and their own obvious song writing skills to present one of those albums that stays in the car cd for weeks. I love the variety, the synths, the dual and single vocal styles - basically a great collection of songs - buy this.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the most part it's great, 29 May 2007
IWFIcon - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Pilots (Audio CD)
How can I not fail to love an album that Popjustice claimed had 10 potential number one singles on it? I wouldn't go as far as that all-out balls to the wall proclamation, but there is certainly more than enough on We Are Pilots to make it well worth a recommendation.

The moments that stand out for me are the more out and out "pop" moments. Le Disko is the kind of thing that puts Rogue Traders to shame, Don't Cry Out adds a layer of sonic sadness to the bands sound, whilst Starts With One sounds like the Killers would if they weren't quite so obsessed with Bruce Springsteen. Jackie Will Save Me is another great one, and is as far to the "rock" part of their repertoire as you get.

Not everything lives up to that trio of course, but there is more than enough to keep you going. In that sense it's a lot like the recent album from The Sounds. It's hardly reinventing the wheel, but it's good stuff all the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pet Shop Boys Vs BIS Vs The Killers... 80's style., 12 Jun. 2007
Francisco A. Lambarri V "ampanman" (Monterrey, MX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Pilots (Audio CD)
What can I say? Already the best pop-synth-newNEW Wave-rock album this year. So full with energy, passion, synth layers and emotions I just can't describe. Abba, PSB, Killers, New order are trown in for a very special and cosmic mix. Honestly, haven't heard this type of music since the 80's. I want to dance, cry, shout and sing at the same time. AMAZING!!! Sure... a bit corny and a bit sweet... but hey!!! who cares this is better than therapy, prozac and chocolate. I'm HAPPY. AWESOME.

SIX STARS. BUY IT. MARK MY WORDS THEY ARE GONNA BE HUGE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - the great new band I have been waiting for!, 27 May 2007
This review is from: We Are Pilots (Audio CD)
These days the discovery of a great new band to become immersed is an event that is happening less and less. The last time it happened was probably Fischerspooner. I discovered Shiny Toy Guns in a shop at Capital City Walk, by Universal Studios in Hollywood. I asked what the music in the store was, wrote the answer on my receipt, bought the album, and was very very pleased. The sound that STG generate is an infectious blend of styles and layers that sizzle with energy - a real mood shifter. Almost like Fischerspooner with the energy and outlook of Blink 182. If there was any justice and sense in the way that music was marketed in the UK STG would reach the audience they deserve - I fear they won't, but very much hope they do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some very good songs, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: We Are Pilots (Audio CD)
This review comes from an internet game. You buy an album you've never heard of from a shop. Then you write your impression of it before and after listening to it for the first time.

---BEFORE LISTENING TO IT---

WHY DID YOU SELECT THIS ONE? I'm sure nobody else sees it, but I pick up a whiff of Absolution era Muse from the artwork. It looks like polished big budget American rock music. I fancy some intricately produced rock. Also I like the band name, and the song title Le Disko sounds promising.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE COVER? Quite good, at least it sold the band to me as much as anything else did. It looks expensive. It's just a picture of the four band members (three guys, one girl) lying on the tarmac of what I guess to be an airfield. On closer inspection as I write this, it now looks like clean white desert sand. The band name is on the horizon and looks a bit like giant letters in the far distance. Three of them have exposed arms, all of which seem to have tattoos. The more tattoos a band has the worse the music is; as they spend more time on how they look than on how they sound. To paraphrase Robert Foster of The Go-Betweens in an interview.

WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC ARE YOU REALISTICALLY EXPECTING? Pop-rock. I don't expect anything heavy sounding or lyrically astute, but hopefully not some weak nu metal inspired crap. There is a girl on the cover so I, as a sexist, assume she's the lead singer. They all seem to be good looking people so I wouldn't be surprised if there is also a male vocalist that sings as much as she does.

BEST CASE SCENARIO IT WILL SOUND LIKE? Like Canadian band Metric. Or Muse with the prog influences missing and with a female singer. Maybe a bit like My Chemical Romance.

WORST CASE SCENARIO IT WILL SOUND LIKE? Processed radio playlist ready rock with all the passion or awkward elements blanded down to a smooth exterior resulting in no interior. Or even worse, they don't have a female singer and they sound like a boy band.

HIGH, LOW OR MIDDLING EXPECTATIONS? Middling.

---AFTER LISTENING TO IT---

WHAT DID IT SOUND LIKE? Synth wielding emo rockers working in a pop context. They have a male singer who takes the lead on most of the songs. The female vocalist only sings lead on a few tracks and doesn't do that much in the way of backing vocals. The band has the wrong singer. The girl is better than the guy. At least he doesn't sound like he's in a boy band. Personally I'm not a fan of his lightweight gritless singing style - I don't feel his pain.

DID YOU LIKE IT? Not really. The lyrics are weak and the music is a little flat and lacking in tunefulness. They could do with better material to perform. It might work better on shuffle when mixed in with other music. I'll reserve judgement until I've lived with the music for a few weeks.

DID IT SATISFY, SURPASS OR FAIL YOUR EXPECTATIONS? More or less met them I suppose.

WHAT ARE THE BEST/WEAKEST SONGS?

1. You Are The One 4:32 (5 out of 10) Male vocals with female backing.

2. Le Disko 3:23 (6 out of 10) Female vocals.

3. Starts With One 3:46 (4 out of 10) Male vocals.

4. When They Came For Us 4:25 (3 out of 10) Male vocals.

5. Don't Cry Out 4:10 (6 out of 10) Female lead vocals with male backing vocals.

6. Chemistry Of A Car Crash 3:51 (5 out of 10) Male vocals.

7. Waiting 4:21 (3 out of 10) Male vocals.

8. Rainy Monday 4:00 (4 out of 10) Male vocals.

9. Jackie Will Save Me 3:59 (4 out of 10) Female vocals.

10. Shaken 3:44 (4 out of 10) Male vocals.

11. We Are Pilots 4:16 (6 out of 10) Female vocals.
Probably the best song.

12. Rocketship 3:32 (4 out of 10) Male vocals.

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS? At the moment I wouldn't.

PLEASE DESCRIBE AND SUM IT UP IN ONE SENTENCE. Emo rockers making so-so synth pop.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS? Apparently they recorded and released this material three times on different record labels. This 2007 version is the final third version before they finally moved on.

The album is 47 minutes long.

---TWO MONTHS LATER---

HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE PLAYED IT? Perhaps five or six times as an album. I've made sure the songs turn up a lot on shuffle mixed in with other music.

HAS THE ALBUM IMPROVED OR WORSENED WITH TIME? I appreciate a lot more, and a few songs have made a big impression on me. It's been a funny album as I've spent months really not sure how good or bad it is. The highlights are high and the low-points only average. Yet I can't embrace the thing. After more than two months I would say that a third of it is average, a third of it fairly good and a third of it very good. I think I like the album, but I'm really not sure how much. The fact it confuses me so much is probably a good thing as it means I'm engaging with it and not just passively letting it float by. I guess I've got to assume it's a flawed but strong album.

ANY PREVIOUSLY UNNOTICED SONGS NOW A NEW FAVOURITE? Le Disko, Don't Cry Out, Jackie Will Save Me and We Are Pilots are very good 8 out of 10 type of songs.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS? I still don't understand why the woman doesn't handle most of the vocals. She is better than the male singer. Her songs are the standouts. The guy can sing well in a very American emotional hardcore overproduced way. He isn't bad by any means, but he also isn't great. It's a bit like having Shirley Manson in your band and only letting her sing on three out of twelve songs.

I originally said, `The lyrics are weak'. There are good lyrics on the album. Quite a few interesting emo Daddy issue words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instantly hooked!, 24 Mar. 2010
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Pilots (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of Euro-Pop long before it began to enjoy the sort of popularity it enjoys today, I stumbled upon this group from the US I think on YouTube. It was the Song 'Don't Cry Out' that really did it for me, I think and 'We Are Pilots' that I saw - and also enjoyed the accompanying Videos for those Songs. The countries in Europe are repeatedly making far better music than us these days - along with America. I can usually tell if I'm going to like an Album by a Band by a single Track (not always of course) and I was right about these.

Nice sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, well worth buying., 3 Nov. 2008
This review is from: We Are Pilots (Audio CD)
I heard my first Shiny Toy Guns song on Fifa 07, and that song was "You Are The One", to be honest, it took me a while to like it, but once i did, i fell in love with it. Then, i started looking at there other songs on youtube and asked myself why on earth these guys are fairly unheard of in Europe. "Le Disko" is a fanstastic rock song that really livens you up with great synths, an awesome melody and good lyrics.

Listening to the album overall, there is a huge range of song types, "Don't Cry Out" is sad and melodic, but catchy at the same time. "Jackie Will Save Me" is loud and booming with some nice electronica in the first verse, it's also lyrically sublime.
"We Are Pilots" is an extremely inspirational song with the lines "I guess i'm under the weather since no one else belongs here with me" and "This is who i am" sung in Carah's beautiful voice. "Rocketship" is my personal favourite and it is the ultimate song on the album. It combines electronica, guitars, synths and lyrics to create a powerful and beautiful song.

I really hope these guys come to Europe soon, they rock too much to stay in America. Overall, one great album that you should have in your shelves if you are a true music fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome debut from STG, 28 Jun. 2009
justjulie "Ace" (Irvine, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Pilots (Audio CD)
I'm a late comer to the brilliance that is Shiny Toy Guns. I heard their song 'Season of Love' from their second album and loved it so much that I went onto Amazon and ordered both albums. And I am really, really glad that I did. As a big music fan, I love discovering new bands, and while STG have been around for a while, they have'nt received the success that I thoroughly feel they deserve. Their debut album is excellent. I have been playing it obsessively on repeat for the last few weeks and I am in love with practically every song. The standouts for me would be the brilliant 'You Are The One', 'LeDisko', 'Starts With One', 'Waiting', 'We Are Pilots', and the bonus track 'Rocketship' should all be played loudly and insessantly. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who has an appreciation for good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instantly hooked!, 24 Mar. 2010
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews

Nice sound.

We Are Pilots
We Are Pilots by Shiny Toy Guns (Audio CD - 2007)