5.0 out of 5 stars True talent!
Published on 3 Aug. 2011 by FAMOUS NAME

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm...
Now I love the Winehouse - as much a description as it is a name these days - and I think 'Back To Black' is a fantastic modern soul record that I would not hesitate to award five stars. Amy's voice sounds phanominal on her second album and Mark Ronson's production - despite, as we have seen with his own album 'Versions', adding horns to things being the only thing he can...
Published on 8 Nov. 2007 by John Tansey

‹ Previous | 1 2 360 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Great album, pathetic mastering - Disappointed!, 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Back To Black [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The album gets 5 stars for the music, but losses 3 stars for the sound. The sound stage is small and the music and vocals are on the thin side. The album went straight on my reject pile before it even fished playing through side one. I've heard the producers deliberately made the vinyl sound "old style". Who on earth makes their music deliberately sound bad?!? The woman's got a great voice, it should be flaunted, not hidden. Anyway, I'm listening to the album as an mp3 and it actually sounds a lot better. Not sure if it's because the production was different, or whether the sound through ear-buds and the car stereo can't pick up the mess they made of it that my main system can hear. Save your money and pray someone else does a proper job in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMY WINEHOUSE WHAT A VOICE!!, 19 Aug. 2008
Mr. S. L. Smith "musicman" (england carlisle cumbria) - See all my reviews
im a huge fan of 60s music and love all types of music apart from dance boom boom music and rap and hip hop no talent just talking how talented lol each to there own though this album sounds like its from the 60s with the phil spector sound but with a modern twist to it its cool it just shows you can make a amazeing album about your own life and promblems you face yeh i dont agree with the drug thing and the way she acts sometimes but her talent outshines that for me she is talented and her voice is soulfull and unique and the end of the day she has an addiction listen to addicted the last song on the album!! i cant wait for her next album amy youre a legend and this is a classic buy this you wont regret it!! happy listening

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by it's cover, 26 Nov. 2011
I have had this album a number of years now. With all the bad publicity that followed Amy, I was loathe to even give her a chance; but with the release of Rehab, which I absolutely loved, I decided to climb off my high horse and buy this album. It is probably the best value for money cd that I have ever bought, and I own quite a few. I still play it frequently. The first album is full of Amy's best known chart toppers, no one needs to write a biographical account of her life, you only have to listen to this disc; Amy put her spiral into despair to music, listen, and you will hear the words of someone filled with self loathing, with zero values of self worth, and immense loyalty; even when it was misplaced. I love this disc, but in retrospect can find it a little melancholy.
The second disc is my favourite, here Amy mixes it up with some of her own work; and her take, on covers of other artist's work. My personal favourites are the last 2 songs on the disc, which contrary to the offical play list (Did they employ the village idiot to enter the data) are track 7: To know him is to love him and track 8: Love is a losing game, which showcase Amy's unique voice to the accompaniment of the simple strumming of an accoustic guitar, I can only liken this to a feather floating on a breeze. As the last strings of the eighth track fade out you hear Amy's strong cockney voice saying " Was that al'right?". Yes Amy, in fact it was more than al'right, it was brilliant. Good night, God bless and thank you for the music. You will be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars True talent!, 3 Aug. 2011
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Back To Black [VINYL] (Vinyl)
First thing I noticed about this Album was the fact that it was just thirty-five minutes long - a plus for me, since I'm so tired of over-long and boring Albums geared to make us think we are getting more for our money... (more rubbish perhaps!) This Album does anything but bore the Listener, and Amy Winehouse certainly knew the key was to have short bursts of quality instead of 'gimmicky' over-long trash!

Like many I suppose, I am not ashamed to say I purchased this Album since her death - but not for that reason alone; I had in fact been on the point of purchasing it for some time, but her constant feature in the News for all the wrong reasons, I guess I held off. However; as the saying goes; something good always comes out of something tragic, and I imagine that there will be many more who did not know or appreciate Amy until her untimely death... Packed with eleven great catchy numbers which simply spell 'talent', 'quality' and 'pure listening pleasure'.

As someone old enough to recall several decades of different styles of music; I feel Ms. Winehouse probably born out of her time. Her sound and style would have been perfectly at home had she been around during both the sixties and the seventies - proper songs with choruses and verses, and with some just over a couple of minutes in length - lovely - and just how I like it!

At just half an hour- this Album is utterly perfect and will be played often by many!

God Bless Amy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Senior Amy Winehouse Fan, 17 Jan. 2011
Madame Barbara "artemis" (France) - See all my reviews
If person of 60+ (like myself) can rave about this artist (and I do), I think it says something about the universality of her music. THis voice will outlive 90% of the so-called stars of rap today. I know about her life-style but I think she is interesting, complex and touching in spite of it and I wish her the best of luck in dealing with her problems. I hope no one is put off from listening to or buying the album because of tabloid hysteria, the muckrakers should just leave her alone. And the video clips on the Web are fantastic too. Rock on Amy !

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulfully frank - but don't be her boyfriend!, 4 Nov. 2006
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Back To Black (Audio CD)
Having grown to love the exquisite sweet-sour cocktail jazz of Frank, I was almost in trepidation to hear what Amy Winehouse had delivered more than 3 years after her legendary debut album. Gone soul, said the reviews, but just as frank as ever.

After 3 days of playing the new album non-stop in my car, I'm delighted to report that Amy is none the worse for her soul 'n' ska trip, though I do miss the jazzy bits. Parts of Back to Black almost stand as a 60s Motown album, had Phil Spector been allowed out of prison to help with the production. Amy nods to her influences, even calling one track 'Me and Mr Jones' after the great Billy Paul number. The melodies are often delicate and delicious, the doo-wop harmonies and horns vintage, and Miss W is in fine voice, her Marlboro & whisky-stained vocals just adding a tart and sassy edge to counteract the melodic sweetness, which in some hands might have become cloying and sickly.

However, she remains however distinctly larger than life - the lyrics, thoughtfully printed here on the inner sleeve, would have been censored within seconds, had anyone ventured to write them in the 60s, Her life is so completely within the public domain you wonder what secrets the poor girl has retained, but on the evidence of her output to date the only thankless task is that of being her current boyfriend - they receive short shrift and withering contempt!

This is a fine collection, well worthy of its excellent predecessor. I just wish her influences could expand beyond the medium to become a unique Winehouse style rather than apeing other styles, no matter how well it's done. No doubt that will come in time...

5.0 out of 5 stars The bonus CD is brilliant, 18 July 2008
Knight "Maverick2008" (London) - See all my reviews
Never really knew much about Amy until I saw her on Glastonbury 2008 and boy I was hooked. She's not just some spaced out horrid junkie kid. She is a crazy, mixed up kid who lacks guidance and is flat out on the road to perdition and someone should stand up and help the poor kid. Get rid of the losers & goldiggers in her life.

This album has real soul. The voice is one in a billion and her rendition of some old classics on CD2 is priceless. Grab it while you can and long may she reign. She hit me like Elvis, Billie Halliday, Nina Simone she is a real mix of pure class and thank god we can bottle her voice and sell it these days.

PS: I'm middle aged now and I know all the original versions as well so that's saying something. Grab this one you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I died a hundred times, 22 July 2007
O E J - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Back To Black (Audio CD)
'There is no greater love, than what I feel for you, no sweeter song, no heart so true....There is no greater thrill than what you bring to me...No sweeter song than what you sing, sing to me'

In 2007 I bought just one album and it was a superb collection of songs by this uniquely gifted lady, a breath of fresh air in every way and for me a beautiful bringing together of those timeless female blues singers of a lifetime ago (I think of Nina Simone, Billie Holliday, Etta James, Dinah Washington and Ella Fitzgerald) together with a contemporary edge that will send the hairs standing up on the back of your neck in a way none of her peers can do. It's haunting, it's tragic, it's blunt and it's irreverent but it might just bring tears to your eyes even if you can't quite say why. It will move you, take you backwards and forwards in time and at last you'll be able to say 'YES. They DO make them like that any more.' Amy Winehouse is the real thing, let's just hope she can contain all the influences of superstardom that sometimes threaten to blow her apart. Hers is a very special talent, let's embrace it while we can.

5.0 out of 5 stars You simply must own this album., 10 Jan. 2007
E. Mackintosh "lifedrinker" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Black (Audio CD)
When people describe this album, you'll heard words such as "jazz" bandied around - but DO NOT let that put you off. I've never been a jazz fan and the association with that genre of music (and also the association with Radio 2's easy listening culture) put me off this album. But I was so wrong. This album is incredibly listenable, gritty, gutsy and lusty. I love every song on it. When the album tracks are better than the singles, you KNOW an album is worth buying. That is true of "Back To Black".

The song "Tears Dry On Their Own"... it's only the 9th day of 2007 but already I reckon that's the best song of the year. This album is upbeat without the schmaltzy phoneyness of some of the stuff littering the pop charts; sincere without being remotely depressing; Winehouse's voice at times has the greatness and resonance of Shirley Bassey, particularly on the track "Back To Black".

Ignore what people say about Winehouse - drugs, rehab or otherwise, the girl's voice is incredibly clear, soulful and true. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonus CD tracks, 10 Dec. 2007
F. A. Penney "Fraser Penney" (Edinburgh, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
Well, I have nothing to add to the previous reviews... they're all true and this must be one of the greatest albums of recent years.

The Bonus Disc has this track listing, slightly different from the description & also a slightly different order from what it states on the packaging:-

Valerie
Cupid
Monkey Man
to Know Him Is To Love Him
Hey Little Rich Girl
You're Wondering How
Some Unholy war
Love Is A Losing Game (original demo)

‹ Previous | 1 2 360 | Next ›

Back To Black
Back To Black by Amy Winehouse (Audio CD - 2006)