5.0 out of 5 stars Essential For Your Stand-Up Comedy Collection
Published on 8 Jan 2007 by A. Rutland

3.0 out of 5 stars funny
funny and easy to watch , makes a nice gift for someone who is into this artist , would recommend it
Published 6 months ago by pauline

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential For Your Stand-Up Comedy Collection, 8 Jan 2007
A. Rutland "Shiney" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
If you are a fan of stand-up (and I presume you are if you are looking at this collection) then you will not be disappointed. This is an almost-definitive collection of Eddie's shows (his first recorded show, Live At The Ambassadors, has not been included but you may be able to get it separately on VHS). His subject matter is wide-ranging to say the least, commenting on everything from queuing up at late-night petrol stations, to Greek Gods, to cats drilling behind the sofa.

The shows get more glitzy and polished in terms production values and delivery with each release (Amazon has listed the shows in order, starting with Unrepeatable and ending with Sexie), however general opinion suggests the comedy peaks with Glorious and Dressed To Kill. Circle and Sexie are not bad (I went to the see Sexie live, just thought I'd drop that in for no tangible reason) but do not have your sides splitting as much as his previous shows.

In conclusion Ladies and Jellyspoons, this is a must for Izzard fans and lovers of stand-up and at £22 for 6 shows you just can't go wrong (price correct at time of review). Just a shame that Ambassadors was not included.

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't get much better stand-up, 31 July 2007
J. E. W. Jackson "funky_ben" (surrey, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Eddie Izzard is, at least in my opinion, the best comedian on the planet. He is very funny (which helps), but also comes off as a 'nice person'. He seems a lot more down-to-earth than other comedians. Anyone who is put-off by the whole transvestite thing is really missing the point - if anything, it just gives him more material. He never repeats any material (well if I've forgotten then only a slight repeat). There are so many amazing routines and jokes in this box set it is hard to pick out the best show, let alone the best routine. Eddie (or Mr. Izzard) is great with his miming and impressions - especially his dentist routine in 'Sexie'. Sometimes if he messes up or gets carried away he can bomb a little bit (sounds a bit contradictory), which is probably most apparant in 'Glorious'. However, if you stick with the show you will love him by the end. He is clever, nice, insightful, down-to-earth and very very very funny. All the shows are very re-watchable if you just wait till you've forgotten a couple of the jokes. In fact, I think I'm going to go and watch Circle again right now.
Oh yeah - this is pretty good value for 6 shows (it was even better value this time last year so just wait a bit!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A comic delight, 7 Jan 2007
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This amazing set of six Eddie Izzard DVD's (all his releases to date) is well worth getting. It includes:

Unrepeatable (1994)

Definite Article (1996)

Glorious (1997)

Dress To Kill (1998)

Circle (2000)

Sexie (2003

As far as I can tell the DVD's have all the extras you would get if you purchased them individually. So on Dressed To Kill you get the Dress to Circle show from Paris, which Eddie does in French (but you can watch the English subtitles!). There are commentary tracks on all the discs.

I have yet to see Circle and Sexie and from what I have read they are not quite as good as his earlier material. However the first four are so brilliant that anything less than 5 stars would be a travesty!

This set will keep you laughing for days and days....

5.0 out of 5 stars Eddie at his best, 28 July 2009
A. Merchlewicz (Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
At first I was not sure whether I should be so crazy to buy all these DVDs in one go, as I knew Eddie Izzard only from short clips on the Internet. To cut a long story short: it was definitely worth it! Not only do you get six shows, including hilarious pieces such as "Death Star Canteen", "Starship Enterprise" ("There should be more thank just two phaser settings"), "Dentist", "Supermarkets", "Vegetables", "Noah on speed" and various musings on religions - to name only a few, every DVD also comes with Audio Commentary, a Trivia Track and a bleeped Audio Track. Documentaries, e.g. a gig in Paris (in French!), round up the whole picture.
This DVD Box Set provides you with hours and hours of witty, intelligent, spontaneous fun, many thoughts that are worth thinking about, and a glimpse on the life and work of an intelligent, brave and versatile comedian.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am Jeff Vader ..., 3 Dec 2009
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I have no idea what Eddie or Lego think about the lego-animated sketches of Eddie you can find on the internet,
but I think I was searching for a video of people building some of the huge Lego Star Wars models, when I stumbled
upon the lego-animated death star canteen sketch. Hilarious.
After watching lots of related videos (with and w/o lego) it wasn't a difficult decision to order this DVD set.
And I loved it!
I'm admiring his skills of story-telling and creating wonderful dialogs between his characters.

This is one of the most important british DVD sets I own - if not the most important one.
(Another one being the Shameless tv series. Something they will never ever broadcast here ...)

After watching the whole DVD set I started to look for other english-speaking comedians on the web
that I might have missed as a non-native speaker and I can recommend to have a look at (the stuff of)
the american comedian George Carlin, who unfortunately passed away last year ...
(Check out his "stuff" sketch on the internet ...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for all Izzard fans, i ask you...cake or death?, 15 Mar 2009
James Petford (Stourbridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This box set is a must buy for all those man fans of eddie izzard, especially those who have them all on tape and want to watch them again. Recently polled as the 3rd greatest stand up in the UK by channel 4, this set contains 6 of his biggest stand up gigs to date.

The majority of the shows in this set are very funny, especially the earlier ones but the later ones Circle and Sexie are somewhat lacking. Very much so but still the other 4 are comedy gems and this box set is the best way to get them. Here is how i rate the shows.

Unrepeatable: 9/10 A solid performance and great improvement over previous (sadly unincluded) show Live at the ambassadors.

Definite Article: 10/10 The best of the bunch.
Glorious: 9/10 Brilliant piece from Hammersmith Apollo tour.
Dressed To Kill: 10/10 Fantastic american debut show on HBO.
Circle: 7/10 Slightly dissapointing sequel to Dressed to Kill.
Sexie: 6/10 A Weak somewhat performance.

The only real gripe i have with this set, is the lack of live at the ambassadors which due to i believe bitter relations with the publisher isnt included which is a shame as it would have given the set a better look at how Izzard developed over the years.

That said this set is strongly recommended never the less.

5.0 out of 5 stars La sange est sous la table, 18 Jan 2010
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Genius? I think Eddie Izzard maybe one. He is more than a stand up comedian, so different to anything else you will ever watch and that includes Billy Connolly. Dress to Kill and Definate Article are superb. Seriously funny. This is a must buy DVD collection. Eddie is a million miles superior to the likes of McIntyre, Carr, Brand etc...they are completely inferior. If you don't believe me, buy this and see for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars eddie izzard we love you, 7 Feb 2009
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This man is astonishing. I cannot think of another stand up who makes me laugh SO much, time and time again, and his material is without venom or scorn (even when talking about yobs who attack him for being a tranvestite he treats them with humour and an attempt at sympathy - more than I would I'm sure in the same situation!).
BUY these DVD's - you'll be so happy you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cake or Death? i'd chose this, 31 Jan 2007
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
When I bought COMIC AID on DVD, was the first time I really came across Eddie Izzard, and I haven't been the same since. The next day I rushed out to by this set, and now 3 days and 6 DVD's later I have left my TV just long enough to write this review before I start watching Izzard's movies.

Eddie's not just an "executive" or "action" transvestite, he is a God to comedy. The performances are genuinely hilarious. No one can compare to him... and as they say, the proof is in the pudding so you need to buy this Box Set. For your own insanity.

Mr Izzard... I take my hat off to you...

4.0 out of 5 stars Have a goood laugh for a change!, 10 Jan 2010
This review is from: Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I heard of Eddie Izzard through my brother-in-law and went straight to Youtube to check him out. After the first video I couldn't stop laughing so I immediately decided to buy some of his videos. This pack is great as it goes from his shows in 1994 on to 2003. He's a great comedian and would recommend it to anyone in for a good laugh. Good value for money.

Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD]
Eddie Izzard Box Set [DVD] by Eddie Izzard (DVD - 2006)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available