5.0 out of 5 stars Great runners watch

3.0 out of 5 stars Strap poor quality other wise good watch
Published on 3 Nov. 2012 by NigelJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Great runners watch, 28 Oct. 2009
metacritic "zshamas" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Generally a tough versatile resin watch aimed at keen runners such as myself. The 60 lap memory is invaluable as it allows you to automatically store upto 60 previous lap times for later analysis. I use this feature if I am running a marathon hit the lap split button at each mile mark then later allows me to analyse how my run progressed after each mile. Up to 5 different alarms can be set. Casio claim a battery life of 10 years, based upon previous experience of casio watches is certainly not out of the question.Generally the watch is comfortable light and slim to wear, with the start and stop/split buttons angled slightly to allow easier use whilst on your wrist. Excellent water resistance, regularly take mine swimming. At the price its an excellent all round buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, faultless and with a lot of functionalities, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Casio STR-300C-1VER Unisex Sport Runner's Watch (Watch)
I had this watch model during 3 years without any fault; it is a robust device; no problems with the buttons. unfortunateley it was stolen so I had to buy another one.
It is a great low cost time solution for swimming and running. Everything you need for controlling your workouts is there. Never had issues related with swimming in pools or sea; waterproof indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good watch, 25 Sept. 2008
Lucy McGough (Northwich, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio STR-300C-1VER Unisex Sport Runner's Watch (Watch)
This is a good watch. I've had it for years and I like it.

The waterproof seal works well - I wear this watch in the bath and in the shower, and it has survived numerous dunkings.

It looks stylish and the features are very easy to use. I like the alarm feature because you can have up to five alarms at once, all for different times. I also like the countdown feature and the stopwatch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch Review, 19 Aug. 2010
WD Allan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio STR-300C-1VER Unisex Sport Runner's Watch (Watch)
The watch arrived promptly and as described. Trouble is even in a watch as cheap as this, it is multi functional, I'm still trying to work out how it works. However that is no fault of the watch! It is not overly large, but the display is large enough to see clearly and it sits nicely on my wrist without being clumbersome. At this price I considered it good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars All the functions you need for running at a low cost - only a few minor issues., 14 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Casio STR-300C-1VER Unisex Sport Runner's Watch (Watch)
This watch arrived from Amazon just two days ago, and overall impressions are good. Before I get started on the positives, here are the issues I've found with it:
- Stop/start buttons harder to press
- Side buttons maybe too easy to press? This to me seems counter-intuitive as I would have thought somebody would be more likely to press the buttons on the side of the watch - as I already have on one occasion.
- The pacing metronome thing only goes from 100-200 bpm. For most runners, this would mean setting it at double their normal stride rate, and enduring the slightly annoying beeping at double pace for the 30 seconds it lasts when the 'B' button is pressed.
- The 8-second delay where the time freezes after pressing the lap/split button in stop-watch mode has the potential to be irritating; that said, for longer distances it won't matter, and doing 200m intervals on the track doesn't really involve looking at your watch!
- The distance calculator seems like it's pretty much a gimmick. I don't know, maybe some people do use it and find it useful, but for me it seems that on the variable road/trail surfaces you'd get off a track, it won't be accurate as stride distance varies to match the terrain (and in most cases - though the ideal would be for this to be avoided - stride rate will vary also). On track, it's very easy to judge distance - every lap is 400m. I guess if you're running a very long way on a track and have a tendency to lose count, you might use it...
- It annoys me that the stopwatch saves every bit of data, even when I'm just using it for breathing exercises or to time something trivial, but I guess making saving optional could result in not saving important training data - after all, it's easy to delete any unneeded records.

A point about the stop/start buttons being hard to press is that the key is to press them on the right edge, so in the middle of the watch rim. This is where the actual button is; the extension to the left is purely aesthetic.

Aside from these minor niggles, I've found the watch so far to be excellent. Of course, it will vary from person to person, but it fits my needs perfectly. The timer goes up to 99 hours, so is perfect for the 24 hour runs I occasionally partake in, and both it and the stopwatch can be run simultaneously. A nifty feature I only found out about after getting the watch is that it has a mode whereby lifting the watch up (the manual says tilting it from the horizontal to 40 degrees away from the horizontal) turns the backlight on. Very useful for night running, though I could see how this could appear unnecessary to many runners. A point about the backlight is that it doesn't last very long - even when the button is held down. For looking at data in low light, this could be irritating, though it would greatly wear down the battery if the light button was pressed accidentally in a bag or something.

The water resistance is good (I couldn't resist testing it under a tap...), and overall the watch is very comfortable. The straps come down at quite a steep angle though, so as other reviews have confirmed, larger wrist-ed people may find it more uncomfortable - it would probably fit, but not nearly so well. The strap feels reasonably solid, though time may prove it to be a little less so. Some have made the point that the screen is smaller that advertised - the glass is around 25mm, the screen about 22mm. The picture is misleading in size - I thought the watch would be bigger. I actually prefer the smaller size; I think it looks much better.

The alarms are good, with one for wake-up, with a snooze option, and four others. It's easy to turn them on and off, and the watch displays a small icon in all modes when any of them is on, as well as a SNZ icon on the upper blue bar running across the display. It's worth noting that some of the icons on this bar can be a little hard to read, as they are small, with a darker background, and can cast a shadow on the screen behind. The dual-time setting could be useful, but it seems to me that for anyone being in a country for any length of time, it would be worth just changing the normal time, so you don't lose the extra data on the main screen, such as the date.

Casio say the watch has a 10-year value, but this is based upon one alarm and one backlight use per day, which I think is unrealistic. However, I can't imagine many will carry on using the watch for that long anyway!

A few final things I've found useful: the watch shows the time on all screens, allowing uninterrupted usage of the function. The manual is very clear (for the most part). A lot of data is packed onto the screen - for example, when the stopwatch screen is not in use, it shows the date and remaining memory as well as the digits, and when it is in use, it shows hours, minutes, lap no., overall time and current lap time.

The best reason for buying this watch is the price - the price here is fantastic and you get many more features for your money than with comparative Timex watches (the brand I was initially looking at). The lower price may reflect lower quality, but personally even if it wears out after a year, it still seems good value. The watch is functional, attractive and comfortable, and has few minor niggles that need not compromise the overall use. For the money, it's excellent, especially for distance athletes such as myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch - does exactly what you'd expect, 26 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Casio STR-300C-1VER Unisex Sport Runner's Watch (Watch)
Wanted a basic stopwatch with lap facility for running training, and this does that, and does it well.

The only reason I took a star off was because the buttons are a little too easy to press (eg in my bag) but apart from that I'm really happy with it. The lap function is really easy to use and understand.

Great watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, simple, standard watch, 3 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Casio STR-300C-1VER Unisex Sport Runner's Watch (Watch)
Look, this is a cheap watch. It doesn't set the world on fire in terms of functionality. It claims to measure distance, but it is one of those stride length multiplying set ups, and I haven't even bothered to get it set up.

However, it has a really nice thing where if you lift the watch up the light comes up and you can see the screen for a few seconds. If you live in London like I do, and run during winter in the mornings, then this is a really handy feature, and I like it a lot for that reason alone.

So, for the price, you can't go wrong. If you need to drop £300 on a Garmon watch, to measure distance and do all that fancy stuff, then that's great. However, I can measure my distance on mapmyrundotcom after the event if I really need to. And right now, I just need to get out there, run as far as I am running, have a basic stopwatch and timer function, and I am good from there.

So it depends on your needs. But if your needs are simple, then this is a good buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strap poor quality other wise good watch, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Casio STR-300C-1VER Unisex Sport Runner's Watch (Watch)
I very much liked this watch, clear display light on the arm and the 10 year battery but after 4 years of use the strap without warning just split. I went to get a replacement at my local shop but the strap is a specific one for this watch which others will not fit so you will have to buy off cassio or off the net at around the £12 t0 £15 mark. A bit disappointed I bought another of the same watch and after 4 years again the strap has done exactly the same. Having complained to cassio they were not that interested in this fault. Both watches are still running so the battery is good but dont expect to much of the strap lasting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very small but does what it says on the tin, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Casio STR-300C-1VER Unisex Sport Runner's Watch (Watch)
I bought this watch because I wanted a very cheap way of recording overall times and split times whilst running. I didn't want any fancy GPS stuff or any of that - just the ability to do total time and split times. I've only played around with the various features so far and haven't actually used it on a run.

What I would say is that the watch is very small and looks like a child's... that's not too bad for me because I have very thin wrists but it'd look ridiculous on most people - like you'd borrowed your kid's watch to go running with..

It is easy to use - a quick read of the manual and you're away.. it's easy to record your splits and things which is all I wanted it for and it's easy to then look through the logs the watch keeps to review your split times.. the watch will also show you your 'best' split for each log it keeps.. someone else mentioned pressing the start/stop and lap/split button and how you've got to press the button at one end, not at any point along the length of the button.. this is true - you do have to press a certain part on the button for it to register and that might be a bit tricky whilst running, I've yet to find out.. you also have to press it pretty hard so I'm not too confident that the watch will last very long..

I'm not bothering with the so called 'distance' feature because I know it won't be accurate and the back-light is pretty weak and, as I said, the watch is ridiculously small but for less than £20 I'm not going to go to the trouble of returning it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, useful, comfortable, 1 Feb. 2012
MideastMC (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio STR-300C-1VER Unisex Sport Runner's Watch (Watch)
This is a well-designed and affordable runner's watch. It arrived two days before a marathon, as I'd lost my old watch on the road recently, and it is very straightforward to operate. Fortunately, since I was running abroad, it has enough splits for continental marathons, and the dual display enables the runner to keep tabs on their overall time while the last lap time is displayed. Finally and crucially, it was perfectly comfortable, even as everything else hurt after 42km!