5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have
Fantastic music!

I first heard the Clocks track on the radio and franticly searched all over to find out who had done it. Here it is, along with a whole host of other funky tracks that have been given the Buena Vista Social Club treatment.

Published on 21 Nov. 2006 by Mr Gamgee

3.0 out of 5 stars Improves on repeated listening
after hearing the colplay clocks & as a big fan of cuban style music I couldnt wait to receive this album.
Firstly I was really really disappointed.....on first listening most of the songs sounded clumsy & badly matched with the cuban backbeats.Its like they took the original track & just put some cuban stuff over the top & didnt really "blend" it.
However after...
Published on 1 Nov. 2007 by Flying In a Blue Dream

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, 21 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Rhythms Del Mundo (featuring Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs...) (Audio CD)
Fantastic music!

Not only is it something I consider to be a must have for any music collection; £2 of the sale will be donated to the Artist Project Earth chairty who provide natural disaster relief and climate change awareness. The insert is a really good read with inspirational words from the likes of George Monbiot, Al Gore, Tim Flannery and Gandi. On top of all that, the CD packaging is carbon neutral!

It was certainly undersold to me, who was initialy only after the funky Coldplay track.

I don't think anyone could be dissappinted with this record, it's a classic already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, Great message!, 11 Dec. 2006
A great mix of styles - love the Artic Monkeys, Coldplay and Dido tracks especially, and the purely Buena Vista tunes. I hear there are still other songs recorded that haven't come out yet? Shakira, Santana and Gorillaz? The message is so important too - global warming and disaster relief. We can do a little something just by enjoying good music! I'm getting copies for xmas presents this year. Anyone with an interest in the issues should be getting involved with this kind of project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!, 24 Nov. 2006
This album is a must have for any collection. Expect to be hearing alot of these tracks on radio and film music soon. Track 3 Arctic Monkeys - Dancing Shoes is full of energy. The Kaiser Chiefs - Modern Way another excellent track and track 14 Coco Freeman / Franz Ferdinand - The Dark of the Matinee also brilliant. All the tracks are good on this album. To be honest I like these versions much better than the pop versions they are derived from, they have so much more to them. The only people that won't like this are died in the wool Buena Vista fans that like the other reviewer here, is a little dismissive to put it politely. Buy It, Enjoy It, this is a great album for your collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent- in more than one way!, 16 April 2007
I haven't bought a CD in absolutely years, but the moment I saw this on sale I knew that I was going to buy it- more than 1 in fact! I think that the fact that this album was produced with the aim of promoting awareness into climate change issues is admirable and worth the cost of a CD. I realise that others may think that you could have given the money straight to the charity, but realistically, there are fewer people that are going to do that, than buy a good CD.

With regards to the music, I have yet to find any one of my friends that haven't asked me where to get this CD because they love the tracks. I am just waiting for the next one to come out now!

You won't be disappointed- with either the music or the sense of satisfaction of having spent money for a good cause!

5.0 out of 5 stars Geat Latin versions of popular tracks, 24 April 2007
C. Thompson (Oxford) - See all my reviews
I love this CD! I'm already a Latin music fan and have about hundred Latin CD's which includes Cuban music and Buena Vista Social Club. While this album might not be as great as the original Ry Cooder production, it's certainly great to listen and dance to. I think that the conversion of popular English music tracks into Cuban rhythms was done very sympathetically and simply works in almost all cases. I like the surprise element with "Clocks" when it starts like the original and then suddenly turns into Salsa. I also respect Sting for singing in Spanish. I believe that this album will make Latin music more accessible for people that don't normally listen to it. I know that I will play a few tracks of this album at my wedding, as my H2B and I can salsa to it and our guests will still enjoy the music as they are familiar with it, whereas they might be a bit alienated if we play pure Salsa for a long period of time. The only track that I don't like is the "Killing me Softly" track, but then I'm personally sick of the English version anyway and others might like it. "Dancing Shoes" takes some getting used to, but I can imagine it works at a party and is simply good fun. The fact that some of the proceeds go to a course is also a good incentive to buy this CD.

I hope there will be more like this soon...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent crossover, 19 July 2007
I would just echo what's been said here already - great album and everyone who hears it wants to know where I got it. I picked it up in Peru earlier this year where I heard several tracks playing in shops and on the radio, and tracked it down. It's a great introduction for newcomers to Salsa / S.American beats, some tracks work really well at a party - plus a contribution to climate change. Put together by credible artists it stands up to repeat listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars great blend, 22 May 2008
this is just a fantastic blend of different genres of music.
the music is pure joy.
if you really want to enjoy this,
get a dance partner and head out to
the local salsa dance club with this CD.
simply brilliant stuff. recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Improves on repeated listening, 1 Nov. 2007
However after quite a few listenings (I was very determinded!!) I got used to it & grew to like some of them, although the U2 one just sounds wrong wrong wrong! I think the ones that work best are the totally cuban ones - the covers of well known songs done in a total cuban style
Dont get me wrong its not a total bad buy there are some good tracks on there & it makes good background music, but for me to totally like it I had to listen to it many times

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok, 12 Dec. 2012
Some good tracks but lots of cheesy ones. I used some of them for a Salsa beginners class fine for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous album, 31 Oct. 2013
I first heard this at a conference I was attending and it was played in the background as we were arriving for the morning session. I was just bowled over with the quality of the tracks, it just sounded fantastic particulary as it was played quite loudly over the PA system. I especially like the Coldplay and Maroon 5 tracks.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›