5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Affecting
This film runs 'The Godfather' close for arguably the finest cast of any movie. The acting is second-to-none and boasts the combined talents of De Niro, Streep, Walken and Cazale. The early part of the movie is devoted to the relationships between the main characters and a marvellously joyous Russian Orthodox wedding scene that sets up the tragedy that befalls the three...
Published on 14 Feb. 2003 by Steven Moses

3.0 out of 5 stars One shot? I don't think that much about one shot anymore, Mike ..,
Apparently, The Deer Hunter has achieved a degree of protected status; a film so revered by some that it is exempt from criticism. At least, that is the opinion of Mark Kermode, who then goes on to criticise Michael Cimino's rites of passage epic, calling it self-indulgent, rambling, somnabulic and racist* (amongst other things). Well, I don't know about all of that but...
Published on 4 Dec. 2012 by Crookedmouth

Mrs. R. Wright "Mrs. R. Wright" (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars CLassic, 14 Aug. 2013
Mr. L. Crane "limacharli" (Shropshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
One of the best 'Nam' anti war films ever made, fantastic roles from both Robert de Niro and Christopher Walkein. supporting role from Meryl Streep is one of her best. Music of John Williams with Cavatina brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars First seen in 1980, 11 Sept. 2013
H. F. Tierney "Diesel Dolly" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Saw this film at the cinema years ago - every time it come onto the television, I start to watch and often fall asleep halfway through - now I can watch it and if necessary fast forward to the last hour or so!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic De Niro, 4 Dec. 2005
This review is from: The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
The Deer Hunter is a classic Robert De Niro film, probably his most 'classic', but by far not his best, but still brilliant. This film tells you about the Vietnam War, and how his friend (THE FANTASTIC, CHRISTOPHER WALKEN)becomes obsessed with Russian Roulette. A bit strange, and half the story is missing out where he begins his suicidal journey, 8/10. 4*

5.0 out of 5 stars "Absolutely beautiful", 22 Feb. 2006
I am an avid movie fan, not the kind who goes to the cinema week in week out (more like four or five times a year if lucky!) I prefer to watch and study older or cult movies, not to say that I don’t own twenty or so DVDs fro the naughties. The deer hunter came recommended by my brother when my older one owned a Region 1 copy of the movie, being only twelve or so I had no desire to watch a hunting movie as I regarded it at the time! Saying that I have always loved movies and began collecting dvds when I was sixteen two hundred and fifty later I’ve gained a fair collection! Isn’t my girlfriend delighted!
This collection varies from silent movies to black and while classics from such directors as Hitchcock and Orson Wells. With of course stone cold classics thrown in, Terminator one and two etc! My oldest brother moved out and as my love for film grew he allowed me to take as many dvds from his collection as I wished Godfather Trilogy, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Cape Fear, 12 Angry Men and a host of other movies that would have been deemed too violent in my younger days! In all I had twenty five or so new films to watch. The godfather trilogy I feel changed my perception of cinema, and after watching Godfather Part2 I became fasinated by Robert De Niro. My newly acquired films included some more of his work: Cape Fear, Ronin, Heat and Midnight Run.
After a few months of watching these movies a part time job provided me with the extra money I needed to indulge my passion further! And after reading through a magazine I read a review once again for the Deer Hunter and it obviously was highly recommended. I was out shopping one evening and saw the movie in a “two for twenty deal” this special feature version actually, and along with “Scarface” it was a bargain.
I was not ware of Michael Cimino before this movie; I had heard that he was quite rebellious in his filmmaking techniques and was constantly going against the grain of what Hollywood expects. The first hour of this movie is basically mind numbing, you become relaxed but know this won’t last too long, we are giving gentle hints all is not right, the red wine spilling on the dress for example and the most powerful scene in the film for me is the exchange between a veteran and the tipsy Robert De Niro. I won’t spoil it for you just admire the greatest actor of our or any other generation.
In the special features I was pretty annoyed but not surprised to find out they actually tried to ban the shoot of the deer being killed, it symbolises how (and I won’t spoil it!) we are prepared the end of the movie. Another Great sequence here Robert De Niro refusing to lend his boots to the superb John Cazale great method acting.
The movie then with no warning goes straight to Vietnam; I was if I am honest expecting more conflict scenes, we are given no explanation to how they were captured and are forced more to use common sense. The torture and Russian Roulette scene is in the truest sense of the word awesome; Every actor gives it their all and to bring it back to the man again De Niro is shockingly good, not to forget Christopher Walken of course.
The after effect and the return to America afterwards seems to be the part critics are bothered with, this is an area ever faced before in movie making, this was before “born on the 4th July” no one had covered this subject. How can a critic make any accusation? Were they there? How would you face going home with one friend feared dead and the other completely paralysed? Im not going to describe any of the final scenes in the movie, I will say however nothing has shocked me more.
Only one other film “Taxi Driver” has affected me like this movie did, Robert De Niro spent two weeks working with steel workers to get a feeling for the atmosphere and surroundings, when they fall from the helicopter that’s them! And when De Niro points the gun at John Cazale’s temple there is an actual live bullet in the barrel. Cazale who was dying of cancer at this time agreed to this, can you imagine suggesting that to actors today?
The final shot in the movie was dubbed too patriotic, that seems strange to me. Im not American but am equally as proud of were im from, after going through what they did and as a tribute to Vietnam veterans it was a nice thing to include. For the price this special editionm is offered at you should spend the money and purchase this immediately, I gurantee you wont be disappointed. I bought this myself two years ago and have only brought myself to watch it once it is extremely powerful. If you like modern war movies then you may not enjoy this, if in the other hand you appreciate cinema well watch it!
Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisited...., 3 Jan. 2013
Pjshaw "Peteski" (Hastings,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
My VHS copy had lost its clarity. OK, the story is the same but the DVD brings back the sound! A classic film that I can enjoy again....

5.0 out of 5 stars War classic, 27 Jan. 2010
D. Fraser - See all my reviews
One of the most harrowing and powerful war movies ever produced. Fantastic movie, even better in Blu-ray. The extras and the collectors edition packaging add to the overall value of the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Revisiting old films, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
Although a great movie in its day, It was nice to see it again in excellent DVD quality to jog old memories.

‹ Previous | 112 13 1417 | Next ›

The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1978]
The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1978] by Michael Cimino (DVD - 2006)