5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning 1080p HD TV
I purchased this TV from another site as for once Amazon was not the cheapest. Like many others I have spent months saving up for and reviewing 1080p TVs and it came down to this Sony and the Samsung LE40M87. Having seen both in stores, I could not tell the difference - they are both awesome running from HD sources.

I finally chose the Sony as it is...
Published on 3 Sep 2007 by Gagdet Man

3.0 out of 5 stars HD is stunning but limits of standard broadcasts noticable
I have just plumped for this TV, after getting fed up watching Films, through a letter box, on my fifteen year old standard 4:3 Sony CRT. ([...]) The 40W2000 has got really good reviews, I was considering the 40V2000 series, but the 40W has the same full HD resolution at nearly [...] cheaper, and with better contrast, to compete with Plasmas.
The 40W2000 was really...
Published on 10 Dec 2006 by Jules

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning 1080p HD TV, 3 Sep 2007
Gagdet Man (The Mallings, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony KDL40W2000 - 40" Widescreen Bravia Full HD Ready 1080P LCD TV - With Freeview (Electronics)

I finally chose the Sony as it is (apparently) easier to set up out of the box, is better at handling normal (SD) transmissions and did not suffer from the reflection problem inherent with the Samsung's glossy back finish. There is a small risk of clouding or backlight bleed with the Sony under certain low light conditions, but the Sony website has some setting adjustments to mitigate this.

When I finally bought it last Thursday (it was delivered on the Friday!) true to form the TV worked straight away and the picture is truly stunning when running from HD sources. With Sky HD (1080i) you forget you are watching a TV and instead believe you are looking though a crystal clear window, the images are so sharp and vivid. With Blu-ray (via PS3 - full 1080p) then expect to be shocked and awed at the detail and colours. That experience is best savoured with a Dolby Dig / DTS sound system.

I may be lucky as I have no sign of the clouding problem mentioned by other owners, in fact the blacks are like velvet, deep enough to dive into - a real surprise given the dominance of plasma screens in this area.

Normal (SD) TV is also handled extremely well - another area where HD TVs can let you down. I have not noticed any difference or drop over my old CRT. But hey, who wants to watch SD anyway when HD is sooooo much better!

The 2 HDMI connectors cater for the current HD sources, although there are another 5 external inputs for when you need them!

I upgraded from 32" CRT to this 40" LCD flat screen but although is stands a little higher it does not take up any more room due to speakers being mounted below the display. If fact you gain room as you can move it closer to the wall.

The standard TV sound is a little flat, but this can be improved by using the 'surround sound' effect option pushing the sound out and forwards - much better.

Overall, for the money (just over 900) this True HD TV is breathtaking, as my open mouthed friends will confess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mura nonsense, 23 April 2007
Edgardo Agno (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought my KDL40W2000 on January 2007 and I am still very much happy with the purchase.

Because high-end LCDs are still pricey I decided to research about the confusing techno terms as well as this particular kit. I have noticed there are a few negative reviews about most LCDs particularly the mura effects which shows purple cloudy patches when displaying deep blacks. This is especially noticable when you switch to an empty signal transmission ie don't connect any signal source. The BRAVIA I bought has some mura effect especially when I look at it from the sides. Having said all this, my viewing experience is not affected because I hardly notice the purple clouds on dark movies nor do I stare at my tv with a blank screen nor watch it from an extreme angle on the sides. The vibrant colors compensate for this small problem on this tv. Watching planet earth on sky HD is still amazingly clear and crisp. Watching bond 007 on PS3's blue ray dvd player is even more engaging than watching it in the cinema. The red mud and dusts when playing motor storm on PS3 makes me wet. Shooting the enemy aliens in gears of war on xbox 360 is a thing of beauty. Zelda and the twilight princess doesn't look too bad either from a Wii!

One important reminder to those new to buying a plasma or lcd tv, you MUST feed your new kit with high definition transmission, otherwise you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars KDL-40W2000 or Samsung LE40M86BD?, 24 July 2007
Can't fault it. Online reviews tend to go too technical and talk about black levels that no normal folk can tell the difference between. Colour is stunning and the blacks are just that. Black. I have not seen any so called clouding issues either. Does a great job with SD input from Sky Digital which is what I use it for most.

Chose it over the Samsung M86/87 as the Samsung reflective finish was too much. It made the set look overstyled and detracted from viewing as it reflected the smallest thing. The Sony LCD has the advantage of not reflecting. In the end the Samsung had better connectivity but I think that was the only advantage it had.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice screen - pretty good value - don't believe the hype, 31 Oct 2006
After reading the magazine reviews of this TV, I immediately cancelled my order of the pioneer 42" plasma and bought the sony. Do I regret it, well yes, and no. Don't get me wrong, the sony is an excellent screen, but the pioneer has a slight edge on refresh rate and shows minimal artifacts on fast moving images. I can quite easily stand a foot away from the pioneer, and not experience the same blur you tend to see on the sony LCD's at this range. This is not a problem in viewing from normal distances, but was particularly noticable when playing soccer on an xbox 360. Driving games were perfectly fine however.

One other negative, is that standard definition seemed to look worse on the sony than on the pioneer. In particular the colour on some low budget american shows seemed washed out. Perhaps this has got something to do with the NTSC conversions for these programs. In summary the Sony seems to highlight the differences between a poor quality source and a good one, whilst the pioneer seemed to show a more gradual difference.

Some reviews comment that this TV has picture in picture - It has a freeze frame facility (which shows alongside a live broadcast), but no picture in picture (at least that I can find).

DVD playback through HDMI is excellent, still some noticable refresh artifacts, but all in all an improvement on standard scart. The high definition representation is where this screen shows it's quality. Images are sharp, refresh problems seem to disappear, and the contrast level is superb. In comparison the pioneer appears overly dark.

Connectivity is served by 2 HDMI, 2 SCART (RGB), Composite, s-video + a digital tuner. The remote control has a cheap toy like feel to it (unlike previous Sony CRT remotes, which had a quality weight to them). Buttons are the familiar (overcomplicated) set of Sony symbols and numbers.

Don't get me wrong - I love this TV. It really is excellent value for money, performs well, and does just what a TV should. It has a high quality picture (source dependent) - superb sound, and shows HD as one would hope. The cinema experience is definately there. I would however take all reviews with a pinch of salt, get yourself a comparison demo (against a plasma or equally high quality LCD) and judge for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars world class TV, 23 July 2007
Y. Takatsuki - See all my reviews
This is the king of flat screen TVs.

I have owned and also experimented with many LCDs and Plasmas, too often being disappointed by the picture especially for off-air broadcast material.

Since 80 percent of my viewing is normal TV, it was imperative to own a LCD that was smooth to watch.

Well, the KDL40W2000 is the closest you get to perfection at this size of screen.

If you put any HD material (I own a PS3), for example a well transferred Blu Ray will simply blow you mind away.

Normal upscaled DVD looks good as do games.

It's a superb TV.... the only thing is the sound, it's not bad but I am now considering buying a HD upscaling AV receiver, like the new Onkyo range...

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it!!, 21 July 2007
I've researched for almost 6 months before I decided on the Sony 40W2000.
Thinking Plasma vs LCD - you may get a better picture with Plasma but they take up more energy I found out - and most of us 'normal people' couldn't spot the difference in picture-quality anyway.
The sound is also good and the set up dead easy.
Which? magazine has recently reviewed LCD/Plasmas and even so one of the Panasonic 32inch came first, three of the Sony LCD's incl. this one were also 'Best Buys' and were close behind. Worth visiting the Which? website for details.
I'm usually quickley bored when reading about all the technicalities - so I won't go down that road ... it's just a very good TV with an amazing picture and sound quality and a decent price within this category.

3.0 out of 5 stars HD is stunning but limits of standard broadcasts noticable, 10 Dec 2006
The 40W2000 was really easy to set up and get going with Analogue and Digital (FreeView). Setting up against Cable was not too difficult once I realised I had to quickly switch Av chanels when transferring from SCART to HDMI from the Cable box.

With such a big screen, the compression effects are clearly visible on some standard cable/digital broadcasts. Watching Footbal was little dissapointing, with the grass pitch going into a smear whilst the camera pans, and sharpening when the camera stops. There are compression artifacst clearly noticable around each of the footbal players on the wide shots. Its a good job I am not really into football, surprising on the wide screen sales for the world cup. A 32 inch is probably a wiser choice for those that would fine the compression defects an annoyance. I notice a difference betwen broadcasters, with Channel 5 standard Film boradcasts looking really good.

With HDMI, and High Definition brodcasts the pictures are really stunning. I can see the arrows arriving in Robin Hood, and Planet Earth is just stunning. (I am not really into nature programmes, but PE was breathtaking.) I guess these are the BBC sales pitch for HD. Its just a pity that we will have to wait several years for HD to become standard, and to do these large HD Sets some justice.

I also splashed out [...] on a cheapo 15" MOGAN LCD TV, for the bedroom with Freeview. For such a cheapo TV from Sainsburys this was equally impressive. Without any HD, I don't notice any digital compression artifacts on Freeview, on the smaller screen. So I guess I am saying that with large 40 inch displays you have to be prepared to be tolerant of noticing the limits of standard digital broadcasts, reagrdless of the quality of the presentation technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Performance, 6 April 2007
G. Seymour "IT reviewer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having had this TV for a month now, I cannot fault it in any way.

PICTURE QUALITY on SD broadcasts outstanding. Cannot see that a CRT gives a better image quality (I have 4 CRT TVs to compare) and disagree that the artefacts of compression on SD broadcasts are clearly visible.

You cannot beat this TVs immense performance. Undoubtedly newer better technologies will in the next few years. But for here and now this is the best there is.

THE DESIGN is brilliant. Simple, understated, casing is just slighly bigger than the visible screen. The inbuilt speakers are on the front, below the screen, much better than on the sides which would make the set wider.

SOUND QUALITY is good for normal TV use. Can be improved with external speakers/home cinema kit if desired. This goes for all TVs.

TEXT is just OK, no quantum leaps here. The remote could have a few more shortcut keys-just minor niggles.

As a PC monitor, your graphics card can be a limitation, so either upgrade drivers or use a high end graphics card compatible with the motherboard.

I agonised between Sony LCD or Panasonic Plasma for weeks. In retrospect it was the right decision.

PS: I don't work for Sony nor have any vested interest in promoting Sony. Just love this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars TV great - Delivery not so, 10 July 2007
I've recently purchased this Sony Bravia W series after reading countless reviews and spending time watching the ones owned by friends and family and this TV is the best I've ever come across and certainly lives up to all my expectations and all the hype. Get one!

The only problems I've had have been to do with its delivery. Amazon use a company called home delivery network and their service is quite frankly apalling. I waited nearly a month for my tv to be delivered and took two days off work to wait on deliveries that never came. The company made up stories about me not being in, not answering my phone or not being able to get past non-existent barriers to my house! Their support line was next to useless and their management never called me back.

Amazon were as helpful as they could be but the overall experience definitely soured my opinion of Amazon.

Be warned, you could be in for a very long wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best television I've ever used..., 28 Aug 2007
S. Schifferes (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this tv about 6 months ago from another website. I had done alot of research into which was the best value large screen tv. I came to the conclusion that it had to be a 1080p model to future proof for any upgrades to tv or dvd standards. At the moment there is very little on offer in 720 hdtv, let alone 1080, but its nice to know you'll be ready when there is more available...

I have a virgin media hdtv box which transmits programs to the tv through hdmi in 720p and the results are fantastic, even with standard programming, better still on the 1 hdtv channel (bbcHD). I am not sure if it is the tv or the virgin box doing the upscaling to 720 for the standard programs, but it works well anyway. I have also borrowed a PS3 and watched 'Apocalypto' in 1080p which was very impressive. Whatever you watch on this tv the picture comes out very smooth, without all the boxy pixels of a cheaper lcd...

If you have any more doubts search for some official reviews like Which? this tv always comes out on top. For under a grand it is a bargain!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›