1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars It's surprising to know that this ..........., 12 Feb 2007
This review is from: This Is Who I Am (Audio CD)
It's surprising to know that this is Kelly Price's first gospel album, and a glance through the inlay suggests this is something of a much-anticipated homecoming for her. I'll say it sounds like she never left with this album aptly titled This Is Who I Am. One can argue that this is perhaps her best album vocally as the gospel repertoire lends itself to her natural style developed as she grew up in her father's church. Heavyweight support of Donnie McClurkin, Richard Smallwood and Vanessa Bell-Armstrong give the event extra also feature.

Choice cuts are the straight `This Is Who I Am' laid down on the one, `The Warning' and `Healing' has touches of Karen Clark-Sheard, `Get Up And Praise' is par for the course but still sweet on the feet and revisiting (and romping through) the classic `God Is Not Dead' was quite special for me. To end it all we have another classic `Nobody But Jesus' where Kelly and Vanessa Bell-Armstrong fight it out like two pikes in a goldfish bowl, all to great effect.

There's enough here for this fine album to make a big impact on the gospel scene. Correct to say there's little ministry between the songs but that's a moot point - the album is a symbolic return to what Kelly knows. `This Is Who I Am' is recommended buying and it will be interesting to see how Kelly Price follows this excellent gospel debut.

This Is Who I Am
This Is Who I Am by Kelly Price (Audio CD - 2006)