Format: DVDChange

on 9 November 2006
Well, being a QI fan I'd been waiting for this to come out since I first heard about it a few months ago. I was very much looking forward to seeing Eddie Izzard in the pilot and I wasn't disappointed. It was good to see, as well as the pilot, the various goofs and out-takes from the series - it feels somehow like getting "behind the scenes" because you've seen stuff that didn't make it to the original show.

Although QI is, technically, a panel game show with questions and points and such, it feels more like a group of mates sitting round having a chat and laughing with/at each other. It's very funny, and you do learn stuff from it...and wasn't the BBC's original mission statement thing to "educate, inform, and entertain"? QI certainly does that! I look forward to whenever they bring out the other series on DVD.

I'm not very good at writing reviews, but I don't have much to say about this DVD except that I think it's brilliant, funny, entertaining, and, of course, Quite Interesting!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2006
I have always been on a quest for the truth, but when it is presented to me in such a way as to cause fits of laughter, I am more than receptive.

To be told things in a condescending manner can have an adverse effect on me, so to discover such wonderful truths whilst at the same time being entertained to such a high degree, is like a breath of fresh air.

I would recommend this DVD to anyone, especially those who believe they know something.

on 29 November 2006
If you have never seen this show before here is the basic premise. Steven Fry (bless his Gieves and Hawkes socks) asks questions about... well practically anything (each series is linked to a letter of the alphabet, series one unsurprisingly is the letter A) Alan Davies + 3 other panelists try to answer those questions not only correctly; but interestingly, avoiding the pitfalls of urban myth (for example: no centipede has ever been found to have 100 legs the closest is 96)

The great thing about Qi is that those taking part are of a higher calibre than the usual panel game, they never appear to be there just because they have a book to flog or have just left the Big Brother house and are tenuously clinging to the dying seconds of their fame. People like John Sessions (rarely seen on TV these days) and Clive Anderson are genuinely very clever bunnies and the whole thing plays out like a dream dinner party conversation.

I can't recommend this DVD highly enough to anyone, just because it isn't pandering to the lowest common denominator doesn't mean it's snobbish or for "the few", it's just funny, warm and surprising. Try it, I guarantee you'll be hooked.

I hope that further series become available soon.
on 26 November 2006
This is one of the funniest, yet interesting shows on TV and deserves to be on BBC1. Stephen Fry and Alan Davis make a superb comedy duo. I can't put into words how good this series is so you'll have to watch it to find out. Get a copy of series 1 for yourself, family and friends and tell everyone you know about it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2007
This really is one of the most entertaining, informative & humorous programmes on television. Stephen Fry is superb as host & resident brain box, whilst Alan Davies provides the wit of the "not so quick".
Some marvellous guest panelists, contribute to a programm which oozes "niceness".
This is a 2 disc DVD set which provides outstanding value for money & entertainment. Surely worth every single penny. Beg, borrow or steal - this is an absolute must, in every single way.
on 23 August 2007
For me QI is the best comedy show of any description to grace our television sets for years and is a very welcome DVD release. It is intelligent, interesting and completely hilarious.

Stephen Fry and Alan Davies work together brilliantly. The guests on the first series include Phill Jupitus, Bill Bailey, Rich Hall, Jimmy Carr, Sean Lock, Jo Brand, Clive Anderson, Jeremy Hardy, Rob Brydon and the sadly missed Linda Smith. Together they talk about practically everything and 'send up' any strange fact to do with the letter A. I hope they will eventually go through the entire alphabet.

Please BBC, bring out the next series on DVD as it feels long overdue!.
on 20 December 2006
As fervent Fry fans, we bought the DVD(s) not knowing what to expect: the show hasn't been broadcast on television here in South Africa yet. We only got to see the last five minutes of a program while in England earlier this year. Anyway, we weren't disappointed!

Initially, we planned to view each installment at leisurely pace over the holidays. No chance. We became so enthralled from episode one, we watched both disks (plus extras) in just two sittings. Now we're left hankering for the next series - which judging from the transmission dates of the first - must have been shown in England already...

Stephen Fry is his witty, entertaining self, as usual. After seeing Alan Davies previously only in Jonathan Creek, we're delighted by his sense of humour - he is hysterical!

British, brilliant, hilarious and highly recommended!
on 10 January 2007
I caught QI on a recent visit to the UK when one of the digital channels were having a Qi marathon and just loved this show.

Thus when I saw it advertised as a pre-order I immediately placed my order and watched the whole two DVD's in one afternoon/evening.

My only annoyance is that seasons 2 & 3 aren't available for order, please do something as soon as you can
VINE VOICEon 27 October 2007
QI (Quite Interesting) is one of those shows that comes along very rarely. Unlike other BBC produced panel shows this doesn't seek to just make you laugh or insult particular celebrities or events in the news. This show teaches you something new every time you tune in and it makes you laugh in the process. Like someone said in a previous review although it is a panel show with questions and points it seems more of a group of friends sitting around, chatting and having a good laugh.

One of the very high points of the show is the fact that is presented by the man himself Mr. Stephen Fry. His intelligence is so unbelievably extensive that you're surprised every time you tune in, it's even more surprising when Stephen puts down the cards and starts reciting historical or other interesting facts from the top of his head. The other high point is the relationship between Fry and Alan Davies, Davies plays the child role who has what they call on the show general ignorance and Fry is obviously the teacher.

This is one of my favourite shows and I hope it continues to run for many more years to come as you do truly learn something new. There is more than one moon, there aren't just 9 planets in our solar system and Henry VIII didn't have 6 wives after all.

Very good program and I would strongly recommend it for anyone who likes a good happy show.

I'm not just hoping the BBC start releasing Never Mind The Buzzcocks series on DVD.
on 12 January 2007
Q.I. has long been a highlight of the TV schedule and this DVD release is essential for anyone who enjoys quality entertainment. Too clever to be mainstream, perhaps, those with the ability to think should love it and the list of guests is a who's who of the wittiest people around. It's the TV show Oscar WIlde would have been on - but if you think Oscar Wilde was Kim Wilde's dad, it's probably not for you. First class.