5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic (of course!)
Published on 9 Nov 2006 by E. Kirby

1.0 out of 5 stars Difference between UK and US tv lines bit me
I forgot that the UK TV had less lines than US and the video won't work. No sweat. I will just throw it away
Jim
Published 9 months ago by Jim Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic (of course!), 9 Nov 2006
E. Kirby "Ameena" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
Well, being a QI fan I'd been waiting for this to come out since I first heard about it a few months ago. I was very much looking forward to seeing Eddie Izzard in the pilot and I wasn't disappointed. It was good to see, as well as the pilot, the various goofs and out-takes from the series - it feels somehow like getting "behind the scenes" because you've seen stuff that didn't make it to the original show.

Although QI is, technically, a panel game show with questions and points and such, it feels more like a group of mates sitting round having a chat and laughing with/at each other. It's very funny, and you do learn stuff from it...and wasn't the BBC's original mission statement thing to "educate, inform, and entertain"? QI certainly does that! I look forward to whenever they bring out the other series on DVD.

I'm not very good at writing reviews, but I don't have much to say about this DVD except that I think it's brilliant, funny, entertaining, and, of course, Quite Interesting!

4.0 out of 5 stars Knowledge is a wonderful thing, 17 Nov 2006
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I have always been on a quest for the truth, but when it is presented to me in such a way as to cause fits of laughter, I am more than receptive.

To be told things in a condescending manner can have an adverse effect on me, so to discover such wonderful truths whilst at the same time being entertained to such a high degree, is like a breath of fresh air.

I would recommend this DVD to anyone, especially those who believe they know something.

9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars What British TV needs more of..., 29 Nov 2006
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
If you have never seen this show before here is the basic premise. Steven Fry (bless his Gieves and Hawkes socks) asks questions about... well practically anything (each series is linked to a letter of the alphabet, series one unsurprisingly is the letter A) Alan Davies + 3 other panelists try to answer those questions not only correctly; but interestingly, avoiding the pitfalls of urban myth (for example: no centipede has ever been found to have 100 legs the closest is 96)

The great thing about Qi is that those taking part are of a higher calibre than the usual panel game, they never appear to be there just because they have a book to flog or have just left the Big Brother house and are tenuously clinging to the dying seconds of their fame. People like John Sessions (rarely seen on TV these days) and Clive Anderson are genuinely very clever bunnies and the whole thing plays out like a dream dinner party conversation.

I can't recommend this DVD highly enough to anyone, just because it isn't pandering to the lowest common denominator doesn't mean it's snobbish or for "the few", it's just funny, warm and surprising. Try it, I guarantee you'll be hooked.

I hope that further series become available soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars isn't enough!, 26 Nov 2006
Carl Britton "monkeyboy" (Bristol,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of the funniest, yet interesting shows on TV and deserves to be on BBC1. Stephen Fry and Alan Davis make a superb comedy duo. I can't put into words how good this series is so you'll have to watch it to find out. Get a copy of series 1 for yourself, family and friends and tell everyone you know about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly marvellous, truly exceptional, 27 Aug 2007
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
This really is one of the most entertaining, informative & humorous programmes on television. Stephen Fry is superb as host & resident brain box, whilst Alan Davies provides the wit of the "not so quick".
Some marvellous guest panelists, contribute to a programm which oozes "niceness".
This is a 2 disc DVD set which provides outstanding value for money & entertainment. Surely worth every single penny. Beg, borrow or steal - this is an absolute must, in every single way.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please, 10 Jan 2007
Amazon Customer (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I caught QI on a recent visit to the UK when one of the digital channels were having a Qi marathon and just loved this show.

Thus when I saw it advertised as a pre-order I immediately placed my order and watched the whole two DVD's in one afternoon/evening.

My only annoyance is that seasons 2 & 3 aren't available for order, please do something as soon as you can

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Classic!, 23 Aug 2007
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
For me QI is the best comedy show of any description to grace our television sets for years and is a very welcome DVD release. It is intelligent, interesting and completely hilarious.

Stephen Fry and Alan Davies work together brilliantly. The guests on the first series include Phill Jupitus, Bill Bailey, Rich Hall, Jimmy Carr, Sean Lock, Jo Brand, Clive Anderson, Jeremy Hardy, Rob Brydon and the sadly missed Linda Smith. Together they talk about practically everything and 'send up' any strange fact to do with the letter A. I hope they will eventually go through the entire alphabet.

Please BBC, bring out the next series on DVD as it feels long overdue!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fry's Berkies Delight, 12 Jan 2007
D. J. CROZIER (St Albans, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
Q.I. has long been a highlight of the TV schedule and this DVD release is essential for anyone who enjoys quality entertainment. Too clever to be mainstream, perhaps, those with the ability to think should love it and the list of guests is a who's who of the wittiest people around. It's the TV show Oscar WIlde would have been on - but if you think Oscar Wilde was Kim Wilde's dad, it's probably not for you. First class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Extraordinary!, 20 Dec 2006
Robyn Deacon (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
As fervent Fry fans, we bought the DVD(s) not knowing what to expect: the show hasn't been broadcast on television here in South Africa yet. We only got to see the last five minutes of a program while in England earlier this year. Anyway, we weren't disappointed!

Initially, we planned to view each installment at leisurely pace over the holidays. No chance. We became so enthralled from episode one, we watched both disks (plus extras) in just two sittings. Now we're left hankering for the next series - which judging from the transmission dates of the first - must have been shown in England already...

Stephen Fry is his witty, entertaining self, as usual. After seeing Alan Davies previously only in Jonathan Creek, we're delighted by his sense of humour - he is hysterical!

British, brilliant, hilarious and highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurray!; ABOUT TIME!, 10 Nov 2006
Mr. J. R. Trinder "jacktrinder" (Chester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
Why has this taken so long, QI is easily the best thing to watch on TV. Where else can you laugh so much that your chest hurts and you learn things. OH yes you learn things, so much things that you don't know your learning things. Stephen Fry hosts (the reincarnation of Oscar Wilde) and Alan Davis, (the reincarnation of Lassie) is the ever present idiot. Well I say idot, he's perhaps smarter then the rest of us but the fact that Fry and the others are so smart, casts shadows on that.

Another great thing is that you also get to see who clever certain comedians are, I.e. Jo Brand knows alot about psychiatry, as she was once a nurse. Vic Reeves knows loads about Maritime Law, and Clive James knows perhaps a little too much about Wildlife.

I actually got my Dad to buy me this, he greatly disaproves of my vast DVD collection but he got me this becouse its that good. Please buy this DVD becouse hopefully it will convice the BBC to relise more series and then hopefully it will run through 28 series as they say, and then perhaps theyll go onto numbers and then itll go on forever!

Please Buy!

ARRAY(0xb8299744)

QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD]
QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD] by Stephen Fry (DVD - 2006)
7.95