on 21 February 2010
I worked as a projectionist in the late fifties and early sixties and showed for the children's matinee's many serials, which were old even then, and though the prints had been passed from venue to venue many times, and were riddled with joins and scratches, the pictures were pin sharp and beautifully exposed. The prints I refer to were of course 35mm, and this is where the trouble starts as regarding the poor quality of many of these films now available from the thirties and forties. Many have first of all been transfered from reduction 16mm prints, re recorded on to VHS tape, then transfered from tape to DVD. Is it any wonder that the copies are soft in focus, over or under exposed and often with unintelligible tracks?
Some films, to be fair are probably no longer in existence in their 35mm form, but I find it shamefull, and a little insulting that the companies distributing these subjects don't appear to care and assume that we will accept anything they offer. I don't particularly worry whether a film had been 'remastered', only that it has been taken from a fairly respectable master in the first place. Flash gordon, apparently has been selected for preservation in the US national film registry by the library of congress as 'significanlty and historically important'. I bet their preserved copies are streets away from this dross in quality !
1414 comments|153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2013
This is a great item to get for anyone who would like to escape for a half hour or so into fantasy sci-fi such as this. The acting is good and the reproduction is not as bad as some reviewers might make out - given the age of the item..
on 11 April 2009
For those of us of a certain age this is pure magic. Forget the wonderful plots,acting and especially those wonderful actors and special special effects Just remember when you first saw these masterpieces and try to believe all you see,we did then,why not now.Now I'm off to boo Ming,what a guy!!!!
I first saw this series (and the original Buck Rogers) Christmas 1979 in Scotland on my brand new Black and White portable TV while snowed in for three days.
Watching it again brings back those 'happy days' memories. It has not lost any of its charm, even though we are now conditioned to expect amazing special effects. I still think the rockets look like the old Fairy liquid bottles, modified by Blue Peter and then set on fire.
To me it's lost none of the magic when I first saw it, and my son is a new convert, though he did ask why the world was only in black and white and not colourful like now in the olden days.
on 24 January 2015
Cheesy,and the sound quality is a bit poor, but what can one expect from films made in the 1930s. There are many concepts here you can see coming into Star-Trek and modern sci-fi, and they were explored here first folks. Apart from the actors being challenged in the trouser region (the writers seemed to think that alien people would look like Roman soldiers in Batman shorts) and the attempts at monsters that would make the early Dr Who designers weep, the series is a piece of history for all buffs and eminently watchable.
Well done to the people who rescued all the old footage and presented it in good enough quality.
on 21 May 2009
Great box set finally available in one set. The picture is a but shaky as no remaster has been done, but the sound is clear and the picture is clean. A great purchase.
on 17 January 2015
I've loved these old Flash Gordon serials since watching them as a child on the BBC, but I'm afraid this box set is let down by poor sound and picture quality. The third serial is particularly affected, in some instances it's almost impossible to hear what the actors are saying. I know they're 80 odd years old but surely someone somewhere has a cleaner crisper copy? It's a shame because they deserve so much better. Having said that, until a better version surfaces I would recommend this collection to anyone interested in science fiction/fantasy. Best watched as originally intended, one episode at a time. You'll laugh at the ropey special effects and some atrocious acting (not from the main cast, I hasten to add), but the stories bounce along with an almost child like energy that is endearing in its naivety and honesty, which is a refreshing change in this age of slick CGI swamped movies which so often lack the humanity of these early cinema classics.
on 1 October 2013
I used to watch these Flash Gordon episodes on the TV as a kid and was delighted to see it available
on Amazon at a good price, it arrived within days and I have loved watching it. OK, it is not modern
and some of the special effects are not great but it has a great story and great actors. The characters are
fantastic and Ming reminds me of a teacher I used to have.......
So I am off to watch another episode and escape this world, well.....maybe just for a short while.....
It is really really great..............
on 13 February 2014
I first saw these serials when I was a wee nipper in the 1950s at Saturday Morning Pictures in London’s tough & colourful East-end; rather than running the risk of being clobbered by missiles chucked from above if I’d sat in the stalls, my mum gave me the extra threepence so that I could sit in the circle. For years, I believed that the stirring music was written for those serials alone, until I later discovered that it was Liszt who’d written Les Préludes.

And now, I can see why I was so entranced by ‘Buster’ Crabbe’s dashing athleticism and the sexiness of Jean Rogers who was always on the point of suffering a fate worse than death at the lascivious hands of evil Charles Middleton but not, of course at the end of an episode; the erotic images which we pre-pubescent nippers would have carried in our minds would have been too much to bear for a whole week and could have led to depraved habits.

The reviewer who likened the space ships to Fairy Liquid bottles set on fire hit the nail right on the head; but the fact is, then, we didn’t see it that way. Now, with assorted CGI effects, Flash & Co. wouldn’t have stood muster; but this is now and that was then. It’s a lovely, thrilling nostalgic science fiction ride of – in my case – 60 years ago
on 13 November 2014
Not able find in shops 1st version of flash none buster crabb poor really well packaged in full sleave box picture quality good titles bit lop sided picture good go back to the beginnings of sifi programmes really well made good quality for time relley enjoy it you will to good buy is over 70 year's old normally on poor channels early hours of morning love milk bottle top washing liquid effects