4.0 out of 5 stars Memories
I used to watch these Flash Gordon episodes on the TV as a kid and was delighted to see it available
on Amazon at a good price, it arrived within days and I have loved watching it. OK, it is not modern
and some of the special effects are not great but it has a great story and great actors. The characters are
fantastic and Ming reminds me of a teacher I used...
Published 12 months ago by Patrick Bruce

1.0 out of 5 stars allways poor transfers
Published on 21 Feb 2010 by Allan Broadfield

1.0 out of 5 stars allways poor transfers, 21 Feb 2010
Allan Broadfield (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I worked as a projectionist in the late fifties and early sixties and showed for the children's matinee's many serials, which were old even then, and though the prints had been passed from venue to venue many times, and were riddled with joins and scratches, the pictures were pin sharp and beautifully exposed. The prints I refer to were of course 35mm, and this is where the trouble starts as regarding the poor quality of many of these films now available from the thirties and forties. Many have first of all been transfered from reduction 16mm prints, re recorded on to VHS tape, then transfered from tape to DVD. Is it any wonder that the copies are soft in focus, over or under exposed and often with unintelligible tracks?
Some films, to be fair are probably no longer in existence in their 35mm form, but I find it shamefull, and a little insulting that the companies distributing these subjects don't appear to care and assume that we will accept anything they offer. I don't particularly worry whether a film had been 'remastered', only that it has been taken from a fairly respectable master in the first place. Flash gordon, apparently has been selected for preservation in the US national film registry by the library of congress as 'significanlty and historically important'. I bet their preserved copies are streets away from this dross in quality !

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
fantastic and Ming reminds me of a teacher I used to have.......
So I am off to watch another episode and escape this world, well.....maybe just for a short while.....
It is really really great..............

4.0 out of 5 stars memories of other times, 11 April 2009
J. A. Smith (Portsmouth England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
For those of us of a certain age this is pure magic. Forget the wonderful plots,acting and especially those wonderful actors and special special effects Just remember when you first saw these masterpieces and try to believe all you see,we did then,why not now.Now I'm off to boo Ming,what a guy!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Tv Series, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Great box set finally available in one set. The picture is a but shaky as no remaster has been done, but the sound is clear and the picture is clean. A great purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia Road!, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great item to get for anyone who would like to escape for a half hour or so into fantasy sci-fi such as this. The acting is good and the reproduction is not as bad as some reviewers might make out - given the age of the item..

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 19 Jan 2013
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this series (and the original Buck Rogers) Christmas 1979 in Scotland on my brand new Black and White portable TV while snowed in for three days.
Watching it again brings back those 'happy days' memories. It has not lost any of its charm, even though we are now conditioned to expect amazing special effects. I still think the rockets look like the old Fairy liquid bottles, modified by Blue Peter and then set on fire.
To me it's lost none of the magic when I first saw it, and my son is a new convert, though he did ask why the world was only in black and white and not colourful like now in the olden days.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm eight years old again!, 17 May 2010
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Wow, this takes me back to summer school holidays in the seventies. It's great to have all these classic episodes in one set, and for an unbelievable price to boot.

It would have been nice if a bit of restoration had been done before transfer to dvd as the pictures and sound do get a bit wobbley from time to time, but all the corney fun is still present and correct.

Top stuff for proper Flash Gordon fans everywhere!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ray H, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I'm just about old enough to remember Saturday serials at my local flea pit. Great memories, Great value. Just right for us oldies!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Nostalgia!, 13 Feb 2014
Mr. R. D. M. Kirby "Dick Kirby" (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw these serials when I was a wee nipper in the 1950s at Saturday Morning Pictures in London’s tough & colourful East-end; rather than running the risk of being clobbered by missiles chucked from above if I’d sat in the stalls, my mum gave me the extra threepence so that I could sit in the circle. For years, I believed that the stirring music was written for those serials alone, until I later discovered that it was Liszt who’d written Les Préludes.

And now, I can see why I was so entranced by ‘Buster’ Crabbe’s dashing athleticism and the sexiness of Jean Rogers who was always on the point of suffering a fate worse than death at the lascivious hands of evil Charles Middleton but not, of course at the end of an episode; the erotic images which we pre-pubescent nippers would have carried in our minds would have been too much to bear for a whole week and could have led to depraved habits.

The reviewer who likened the space ships to Fairy Liquid bottles set on fire hit the nail right on the head; but the fact is, then, we didn’t see it that way. Now, with assorted CGI effects, Flash & Co. wouldn’t have stood muster; but this is now and that was then. It’s a lovely, thrilling nostalgic science fiction ride of – in my case – 60 years ago

5.0 out of 5 stars Relative's childhood favourite, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Received this DVD in a very quick delivery time. Bought this for family relative as it is their childhood top favourite past time. This will in no doubt at all be a totally enjoyed experience once again.

Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD]
Flash Gordon: The Complete Series [DVD] by Robert F. Hill (DVD - 2008)