Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 June 2008
Just received this item and seeing the previous reviews i can't understand the three stars rating. As with every compilation there are some tracks missing, even Still on top may seem incomplete for die-hard fans, but having the two compilations together you will have a good overview and vol.3 has many pros and little cons:
- Good price
- 31 tracks
- Complete booklet with album and song information, even players on every song ( that is not very common in compilations, isn't it? )
- Rare tracks included on other artists albums or soundtracks collaborations ( That's life, early in the morning, crazy love, cry for home...)
- Tracks from albums you may not be interested as a whole( Skiffle sessions, Mose Allison, How long...)

Just get it. Its a very good album. If you just want the hits, get Still on top, but this is a very good presented compilation and has a very good price.
on 12 August 2011
Calling this a "Best Of" may be a little misleading as it is by no means a Greatest Hits CD. However, having dipped into this almost constantly over the past 12 months I have to say not once have I been disappointed. If it does nothing more than introduce you to some great Van songs and solo CDs you would otherwise have overlooked (as it did with me) then it is well worth splashing out on. Some of the songs on here are now amongst my all time faves (of any artist) and I doubt I would have ever come across them without buying this CD. Excellent, excellent, excellent.
on 10 August 2011
This is Van at his best,jazz,collaberations. I used to listen to his music and have seen him perform a few times but lost interest, I think his song with Cliff Richard was the final straw (although it was a catchy tune). But I borrowed this from a local library in Norway, I was desperate and prepared to try anything and it was gert lush, love the brass and the live performances. Never written a review before but was surprised at some of the negative reviews, i think this is the best I have heard him since Astral Weeks, so well done Tim Young.
on 4 July 2007
I checked out the listing and decide that there were sufficient tracks that I didn't possess to spend my hard earned £10.99 on a purchasing a copy. I agree that it's hardly a best of compilation but its interesting
none the less. My favourite tracks tend to be the ones that I already have
the John lee Hooker duet on Gloria and the sublimely magnificent Healing Game. Of the less well known tracks I like his version of Shenandoah with the Chieftains . Some of the jazzier tracks leave me cold . My main grouse is why on earth did they include four tracks from the less than wonderful Down the Road ( He ruins Georgia) and only one from The Healing Game. Not including 'Rough God' with its fabulous Pee wee Ellis solo is a terrible ommission
on 18 June 2007
Whereas the first two volumes in the "The Best of Van Morrison" series contained many well chosen classics and favourites, this new addition seems to focus more on live versions, remixes and rarities - which is a shame. It's perfectly okay to release a rarities compilation - but why then call it "The Best of Van Morrison Vol. 3"? In my opinion the compilers should have focused more on the newer "hits" and some of the old classics which were missing on the first two volumes, such as (to name a few) "Into The Mystic", "Caravan", "Hungry For Your Love", "Ivory Tower" and the original (superior) studio versions of "Crazy Love" and "Tupelo Honey". And where are late-career favourites such as "Wasted Years" (with John Lee Hooker) and "Gypsy In My Soul"? Okay, it does contain a handful (or two) of his better songs, but all in all this is a wasted oppurtunity.
on 23 October 2012
Excellet music and performance. This is Van Morrison at his best.Realy good service by vendor. I would recomend his service and this CD to everyone.
on 9 July 2007
Despite having most of this already I paid out my money and what did I get? A reasonable overview with some obscurities, one of which "Blue and Green" is worth the cost on its own. While the music is all first class the compiling has created some jarring between tracks. I've always loved The Skiffle Sessions album but Lost John between Leaves Come Falling Down and Tupelo Honey sounds bizarre. Nearly all the tracks he has re-recorded are done better in their original incarnation and one gets the feeling that with this, the movie "best of" and the country abomination Pay The Devil before them that he has nothing to say at present. I love Morrison's music and sincerely hope there is more of it to come, its now been a fair number of years since there has been an album of original material and he is overdue for his muse to return.
on 8 December 2010
Yes, the title is a misnomer but the double CD is an entertaining bargain. Good for slotting into the car player.
on 22 November 2013
THIS RATING BECAUSE A NEW PERSPECTIVE ON VAN'S MUSIC, SLIGHTLY CHALLENGING FOR ON OLDER FAN !
LOVED THE COOL JAZZ TREATMENTS & THE COLLABORATIONS WITH TALENTED FRIENDS.
I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS ALBUM TO LOVERS OF VAN'S, ORIGINAL, MUSICAL BRILLIANCE !
on 29 May 2016
Purchased for the second time as someone borrowed my original copy. Delighted to have my collection completed once again.

Timeless classic's