Published 1 month ago by Jumanji99

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a viewing and a read of the book version.
A very persuasive polemic arguing the case for man-made triggered global warming.

Published 4 months ago by Mr M Lunt

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a viewing and a read of the book version., 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)

In retrospect it is clear that Al Gore was creating the basis for his new career following his failing to convert his personal description as "the next president of the US2 into reality. His contributions to he atmospheric CO2 are legendary - as is his income from climate change speeches.

Several years later, the scientific community appear unanimous that human activity is changing the atmosphere but the models they use do not correlate with actual temperature changes of recent years.

The book content is well presented and a quality production - the video being primarily shot at his public presentations.

Influential but I am not fully convinced. However, if he is correct, the downside of likely future developments is horrendous. so perhaps mankind should accept his guidance - and prepare.

5.0 out of 5 stars tick, tock, tick , tock...and who is left holding the pacel when the music stops....?, 5 Nov 2014
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
We may not like it ,but should all realise what we have missed out due to those questionable election results in the US 15-16 years ago.....possibly the last relatively comfortable chance of transitioning our culture away from 'fiddling' while trying to avoid recognising the increasingly smokey smell around the world..... There are already 3 times as may folk on the world as when I was a youngster,so it CAN'T go on....as another 'farm boy' I recognise many of the symptoms talked about in this quietly thoughtful yet provocative pieceand wish more of us realised the time for postponing the belt tightening is over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This film makes you think. Although I do not agree with most of what Al Gore says, he still puts up a pretty good argument. Really good Documentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's up to all of us, 24 Mar 2007
Trent Hughes "cubland" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I have just watched The Inconvenient truth. I'm glad that I read most of the reviews on this site before hand. They highlight that people do care and that people still simply dont. One reviewer recently said he thought Al Gore was trying to get the audience to sympathise with him whilst telling stories about his loved ones, friends etc. When you see this film, he tells you how he grew up on a tobacco farm, it was a large part of his life. And he tells you how a special lady to him was a smoker when he was child.. she eventually died of lung cancer. It seems a little odd that this clip is in the film, I first thought why are we seeng this, but it becomes clear why it is. Gore is trying to highlight that humans created cigarettes, we eventually became aware of their dangers, however we still continued to make them, market them, smoke them and die from them. He's trying to highlight to us that we as a race bury our head in the sand.. and we are doing so with Global warming. We know how we are attributing to this problem and how we can still help fix it. Yet we are still resisting it.

This film is so easy to watch, 'dumbed' down as one reviewer says, he hightlights the use of some Matt Groening animation to make one point, surely that highlights more to us that we are naive and that sometimes we need to use a simple, identifiable and popular form of entertainment to highlight a global issue.. maybe we are the 'dumb' ones if thats a requirement for us to understand.

Global warming and the related effects are very real. This movie points it out quite simply. If you finish wathing this film and dont believe you personally can do anything without the rest of the world doing the same then its that attitude that has got us in this predicment. Turn one extra light off, dont leave your applicances on stand by. Cut down your shower time..walk to the shops.

I look at my 12 year old neice and nephew and wonder what I have done in my life time ( I'm 29 ) that may now affect their future.. but I now see that I can help to still provide them with a future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Biased and personal, definitely not objective, 8 Oct 2007
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I will not discuss the details, particularly the scientific details and methods. There are a few things that are not entirely acceptable. For one and only instance he manipulates facts when he pretends no scientific voice has spoken in doubt of the global warming theory. Richard Lindzen who is an important climatologist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has widely and wildly spoken against it. But he is true on one fact. There is no reason to do something that could be harmful in a way or another and that we can avoid. Going against pollution and carbon mono- and dioxide emission is ethically good because there is no reason why we should pollute and emit carbon mono- and dioxides unnecessarily. This is also economically wise because there is no reason why we should produce waste since then waste-processing is an economic cost that will cripple the economy in a very short period of time. He is also right on another thing. It is a political issue and it has to be dealt with as such. But the film is not even a documentary. It lacks several elements to be one. For one it does not provide an opportunity to anyone to speak: it is a monologue. For two it does not provide an opportunity to anyone to dissent with the only point of view that is defended here. In other words it is perfect propaganda, advertising, and nothing else. Even worse, the term of truth is irritating to the utmost. We are not looking for truth because truth does not exist. There are only points of view. So we have to convince people and to do so we have to be balanced and listen to other points of view and not to impose one point of view by unilaterally calling it truth. And anyway when that truth becomes A truth that means there are more than one, but then they are not truth, they are points of view. The same remark goes for the direct quotation of the Book of Revelation, also known as the Apocalypse. Any apocalyptic vision is to be rejected if we want to work on the reason of people and not on their fear. Any ethical decision is ethical only if it is based on conviction and not on fear. Al Gore, in a nice tone, with a cool intonation, spreads fear with even some symbolical elements like the Twin Towers Memorial being underwater if his apocalyptic prediction turns true. At least that is what Milton taught me three centuries ago. Even worse again. How dare he quote Winston Churchill speaking of Hitler and Nazism to speak of climate change and the apocalypse he is announcing? That is gross, un-respectful of the people who fought against Hitler who was not a simple tornado and was slightly more systematic in his apocalyptic bulldozing of the world than a hurricane would be. Bad taste indeed. His knowledge of history is also particularly warped. He attributes all positive elements to the US, including the French Revolution - who was a great blood bath by the way - but he forgets to attribute the two atomic mushrooms that ever exploded over a city to the United States in violation of the Yalta agreement: then he becomes general and the fault is nicely laid down on the threshold of humanity in general. It is also by far too personal, nearly a life story, and definitely the political allusions about recent presidential elections and other events are out of place in a documentary on climate change, and it destroys some more the ambition of this film to be a documentary. But it sure will lead to constant and wide debates on the question of global warming.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris Dauphine, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne & University Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone needs to see this, 10 Dec 2006
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
We all think we know a little about climate change, but this outstanding, entetaining and terrifying documentary by the man who should be president will truly open your eyes. I can't recommend it highly enough, this is life changing stuff. I myself was,like most, sailing along happily and not worrying too much about our planet until I saw this and I am a changed man for it. Do it for the planet and your children, see this movie and become a better human being, it's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive and surprising, 11 Dec 2006
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Whether you're a fan of Al Gore or not, he isn't really the issue here. He does a great job presenting the various forms of overwhelming evidence for global warming and mankind's link to it, but he doesn't do it in a political or spiteful way. He shows global temperature and atmospheric carbon patterns, and he shows that our last 20 years have been the highest by a longshot over the previous 600,000 years. Frankly, before seeing the film, I'd heard a lot of information about global warming being a myth, but this film dispels that notion with many independent pieces of evidence.

Even more importantly, it goes to show why we should care that global warming is occurring. As you may have seen in the trailer, if global warming continues at its current rate, the earth's coastlines will be flooded displacing tens of millions of people, it will increase the strength and frequency of hurricanes and tornadoes, it will irrevocably kill off many of the worlds glaciers, it will dry up lands interior to the coastline (like our heartland), and it will disrupt/kill species after species from polar bears to birds. These changes could occur in as short a time as ten to fifty years from NOW.

Lastly, he finishes with ways in which we can affect a change. It would be easy to see this film, get depressed about all the state of affairs, and throw up one's hands in despair, but the film offers us ways, big and small, to help reverse global warming's effects right now.

I urge you to see this film, you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a film, a call to arms., 25 Nov 2006
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This film entertaingly shows the truth about the biggest threat to human civilisation that has ever existed in modern history. If you want to get the low down on what the issues are then buy this movie - and then send it to everyone you know.

It is essential that everybody sees this film. I have never been so shaken by anything in my life. If you are a sceptic then see the film, what have you got to lose? If you think you know it all, see the film. If you think this will not devastate us in your lifetime, see this film. If you love your childen, then see this film.

It is fascinating, terrifying, inspiring, and ultimately optimistic which is the only problem I have with it. We can only solve this is we take to the streets, and all over the world to deman our governments act NOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandatory viewing for all planet earth citizens, 4 Oct 2006
Davron (Exeter, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I had heard a few sound bites from this film and was a little sceptical that an American politician would have the ability to make climate change entertaining. I needn't have been concerned because Al Gore pulled it off!

The self deprecating former presidential candidate talked us through the science in plain English and the story was greatly enhanced by references to Al's professional and personal past. It's a winner on many levels, the best powerpoint presentation ever; it proves that politicians can be sincere; and not only do you talk about the film when it has ended - my guess is that you will be moved to action to help defend the planet. A rare accolade in ANY movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 April 2008
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I was disappointed with this film after reading positive reviews it got from critics.
It isn't a terrible film, it's very slickly presented, and brings together a lot of evidence for the case that humans are jeopardising the future of the planet, but there are a number of problems.

Firstly, as other reviewers point out, it merely reminds you of things you have already heard instead of really making you think. Worse for me, was the fact that it looked like a political move by Gore, positioning himself as the guy who cares. There are many irrelevant excerpts of montages from Gore's childhood and some of the key political events that marked his career personally, such as losing the 2000 election. Ostensibly they are relevant to the unfolding story, but really they look more like an attempt to put Gore, and not the issue, centrestage. Another criticism arises from the fact that we see Gore travelling in the back of his chauffeur driven car in many of the excerpts which are interleaved with the slideshow, and hear him tell us of all the cities he's travelled to to give this slideshow, a lot of carbon miles...

Gore comes across in the slideshow more as charismatic entertainer than a committed advocate. I was reminded a little of Michael Moore on a couple of occasions, for example when Gore puts forward the (albeit very valid) case for environmental standards for cars. He tells us that America lags far behind other advanced nations, and even behind China in this regard. He then goes on to try and make the point that economically, this is not in the American car manufacturers interests, saying that because they don't meet other nations environmental standards they have lost out in terms of sales. He presents a bar chart showing the profitability of four car manufacturers, two American and two Asian, and the Asians are displayed as increasing their market capitalisation, whereas the Americans are shown as decreasing their market capitalisation over time. Which just made me think, where are the other manufacturers from both regions, why have you left them out? If you really want to persuade people of something so that they are really convinced of it, presenting incomplete evidence such as that, to my mind, just serves to raise doubt in the minds of viewers as to the integrity of the presenter.

Anyway, I'm giving this three stars instead of two, as I imagine the film will do more good than harm, having a high profile figure such as Gore visibly promoting the issue of climate change.

An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006]
An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006] by Davis Guggenheim (DVD - 2006)